• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender addons for scenery developers

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
BlenderGIS

Found here on GitHub:
https://github.com/domlysz/BlenderGIS

It can load a shapefile. It can load a basemap from Bing or Google, among others. Be sure to read it's Wiki on GitHub. Works with Blender 2.90.1

You should be able to use it to make groundpolys or find the footprints of structures.

inBlender.png

spotlope

FSDevConf team
BlenderGIS

Found here on GitHub:
https://github.com/domlysz/BlenderGIS

It can load a shapefile. It can load a basemap from Bing or Google, among others. Be sure to read it's Wiki on GitHub. Works with Blender 2.90.1

You should be able to use it to make groundpolys or find the footprints of structures.

View attachment 69340

Dick, have you been able to actually import properly scaled background images with BlenderGIS? I've been fighting with it for a couple of years, and have never gotten the projections set up right to make that happen. It feels like the potential is there, but my shabby GIS skills are holding me back. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Dick, have you been able to actually import properly scaled background images with BlenderGIS? I've been fighting with it for a couple of years, and have never gotten the projections set up right to make that happen. It feels like the potential is there, but my shabby GIS skills are holding me back. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.
For aerial background scaling I just use simple math. For example you know runway's length in real world in meters is 3500m. You measure the runway on your background image in Blender in current units, it could read 5m, 10m, whatever. Suppose it reads 10m on your image. Then, you need to scale the whole background image so many times as for 10m to become 3500, which is 350 times across XY axes. Just put 350 into the scaling dialog. I use this method not with BlenderGIS, but with aerial maps downloaded and stitched from Google/Bing by the likes of SASPlanet, works like a charm.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Hi Bill.

Sorry for the delay. Make sure you set Web Mercator in Spatial Reference Systems in the Preferences for the tool. This makes everything meters instead of degrees.

BlenderGIS.png

Hi All,

Web Mercator (as it states in the tooltip) contains huge distortions and not suitable for precise modelling... Might work for small airports but definitely not for bigger ones.
2021-03-02 20_56_27-Blender Preferences.png

As it was mentioned earlier, I use SASPlanet too. With WGS84 projection it is great and precise.
2021-03-02 21_01_22-Selection Manager.png

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Hi Bill.
I also have discovered problems with sizing using the BlenderGIS. :(

Import Images as Planes (ships with blender)
Regarding Background Images - why not use "Images as Planes" - SceneryBuilder X and MCX to get your images into Blender ?
Basically you take your image from SBX - convert the coordinates via MCX to get the dimensions and load the image (as plane) into Blender ?

Bill Womack explains it in great detail in this video, but wouldn't this be the easiest way ?

That's what i did, and it seems to work just fine.

spotlope

FSDevConf team
The images as planes > MCX to size method works okay. I'm just always looking for something faster and more accurate. It seems like BlenderGIS should be the tool to use, but I haven't found the magic projection yet that makes it work.

Oh, i didn't know it was you, i didn't look at your signature before, sorry.

Anyways, thank you for that tutorial series - really helpful, that's why i brought it up.

All this are FREE:
Blender2MSFS toolkit of course: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/blender2msfs-toolkit.256/

And for texturing/creating PBR materials https://quixel.com/mixer