• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender cloth simulation baked to bones

@trfsd you could add windsocks without a pole, then the other devs can make a pole and position your windsock to it. With this approach everyone can build the windsocks as accurate as possible using your lib. :D
I already have plans to make a flag without a pole. For the windsock, would you suggest removing just the pole, or also the hardware that attaches the windsock to the pole? There is a metal hoop at the mouth of the windsock that is attached by four struts to a sleeve that fits over the mounting pole and rotates around the pole. I think that a windsock with no mounting hardware would be hard to use, since the mounting hardware has to rotate with the windsock. But if I leave the hardware in, then your separate custom pole has to be a pretty similar diameter, or it visually won't match up with the bearing sleeve. I'm open to suggestions.

If anyone is interested, I have uploaded a small library with three wind-related SimObjects to flightsim.to: a US flag, a windsock, and a garden windmill. All were created in Blender using the techniques discussed in this thread. If I can find the time to do the modeling, my intention is to add more objects to the library in the future. Enjoy!

New version of the library has 248 flags, 5 windsock color schemes, lighted windsocks, and flags and windsocks with and without poles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If anyone is interested, I have uploaded a small library with three wind-related SimObjects to flightsim.to: a US flag, a windsock, and a garden windmill. All were created in Blender using the techniques discussed in this thread. If I can find the time to do the modeling, my intention is to add more objects to the library in the future. Enjoy!
I have added US state flags to bring the total number of flags in the library to 300. More importantly, with some suggestions from @Photosbykev and a little reading here on the forums, I worked out the specific steps to create a "repaint" of a flag model, and wrote up the instructions in a tutorial document that is included in the download. So if you can't find the flag you need in the 300 that are already in the library, you can create your own artwork and repaint one of the existing flag models in the library. Have fun.

I worked out the specific steps to create a "repaint" of a flag model, and wrote up the instructions in a tutorial document that is included in the download.
I have now written a script to almost fully automate the process of creating distributable repaints of the flags in my library. I would be very interested in feedback from this group on the script, which I have attached below.

Attachments

• FlagRepainter.zip
    912.3 KB · Views: 192
Country
denmark
Thanks for all your hard work it's a great package you have made !! I'm using it in my coming EKSB scenery :)

EKSB3.png

Thanks for the compliments, Claus. Did you repaint the flags using the manual instructions that I uploaded last week? If so, try the Repainter script that I just uploaded above. I think it creates a package that is easier to distribute along with your scenery. Feel free to drop me a note if you have any questions.

Country
denmark
These are done manually, just tried to make 4 flags in the 133 folder and edited the script and ran it, but it only makes a sim.cfg file under misc. Picture file is 1024X1024 hight of flag is 768.
If I run it with the flags you have put in it generates alle the folders....

Thanks

Country
denmark
Yes ! :) moved the flags once again to the folder and ran the script,this time it worked perfect.

Thanks for all your hard work !!

Make sure to download the new version 1.04 of the library. I already fixed the rotation issue created by today's MSFS update, but you need the models from the new library to get the benefit of this fix and avoid any orientation issues with the flags and windsocks.

Done. I had already created the artwork for the EU flag and a few others (the UN, NATO, the Olympics, the Red Cross, and the Red Crescent). So I just went ahead and uploaded an update to the library a few minutes ago.

Country
france
Hello guys
I must be damned :po_O
Tried 4 times with the tutorial you provided but I have this when I try to run the script 01

1624390981218.png

Edit: Ok so after a new workflow based on your work (pdf) it seems that the flag should be working well in the sim
I'll update this post after some tests and, I will try to post an updated script

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I have added US state flags to bring the total number of flags in the library to 300. More importantly, with some suggestions from @Photosbykev and a little reading here on the forums, I worked out the specific steps to create a "repaint" of a flag model, and wrote up the instructions in a tutorial document that is included in the download. So if you can't find the flag you need in the 300 that are already in the library, you can create your own artwork and repaint one of the existing flag models in the library. Have fun.

Thanks for all the work!, very generous of you.
Rather than encouraging repainting of existing flags (each of which might be used in a future project, somewhere), how about adding maybe 5 or 10 "user" flags for repaint that would not conflict with any real-world flag? Like all of them white until painted. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the work!, very generous of you.
Rather than encouraging repainting of existing flags (each of which might be used in a future project, somewhere), how about adding maybe 5 or 10 "user" flags for repaint that would not conflict with any real-world flag? Like all of them white until painted. Thanks again.

Sorry for the confusion. The repaints don’t replace anything. They just use the same physical models and animations as the existing flags. No conflicts, and you can still use all the original flags.