• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender - FS2020 Glass again again ....

Country
denmark
Still can't get my head around makin proper reflective glass in Blender. Normal see trough is okay but glass like the standard one used in FS2020 like this picture
I can't figure out to make in Blender. Anyone having a recipe to this ?

FS2020 Std Glass.png

Thanks
Claus

Attachments

• Glass test.zip
    117.4 KB · Views: 20
Country
canada
I had to separate out the glass as a separate object
I had to solidify the main structure so looking into it was not transparent.
I had to set the glass material blue color and make alpha 0.07 - So you could see thru the glass.

Sorry this is a blend file using ASOBO's exporter and Blender 3.3

DA40CGDFQ_2024.02.12_19h32m6s.png

DA40CGDFQ_2024.02.12_19h32m41s.png

DA40CGDFQ_2024.02.12_19h35m16s.png

Attachments

• Glass test_ron.zip
    156 KB · Views: 17
Country
denmark
Hi Ron

Many thanks for taking your time to look at this !!! Very appreciated

Regards
Claus

Country
finland
Why would you have to separate the glass? I do not think it is necessary. Just make a material for the window faces. Set MSFS Standard type. Blend mode to Alpha blend. Tick Backface Culling and Show Backface. Base color to black (or some dark color blue, green if it should be tinted glass). Set Metallic value to 0.300 and Roughness to 0.03 for proper reflectivity. Play around with the Alpha value - 0.100 might be a suitable value. More roughness or higher Alpha gives a dirtier look to the windows.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Why would you have to separate the glass?
I have found that the Babylon exporter does not like multiple textures for a single node so in a case like a large building, or lets say a pilot mesh that was derived from combining separate helmet, figure, face and hand textures into one, resolution becomes a consideration. That said, the sim will support monstrous texture dimensions, so options remain. Aside from your otherwise excellent advice, I'd bump that glass metallic to .65, higher for anything mirrored. 👍

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Why would you have to separate the glass? I do not think it is necessary. Just make a material for the window faces. Set MSFS Standard type. Blend mode to Alpha blend. Tick Backface Culling and Show Backface. Base color to black (or some dark color blue, green if it should be tinted glass). Set Metallic value to 0.300 and Roughness to 0.03 for proper reflectivity. Play around with the Alpha value - 0.100 might be a suitable value. More roughness or higher Alpha gives a dirtier look to the windows.
As WildLynxPilot writes, make a non-textured material and assign that to selected faces in Edit mode. Should work fine from Blender.

Country
canada
Don't have too as many pointed out. But thought it was easier to follow.

DA40CGDFQ_2024.02.13_17h15m33s.png

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The MSFS Glass material is primarily used for aircraft or other SimObjects, as is Windshield material. Most of the SDK is geared towards aircraft creation regarding objects. It's probably best to stick to untextured Standard material for glass in scenery objects... unless you're using parallax.