• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender object - Some bridge questions

I am working on a bridge that covers a portion of the Swan River in Perth where the default road runs under water. I built a rough bridge object in Blender for testing and successfully imported it in MSFS. The object has currently one material in Blender, and I have assigned a road parameter object to it hoping that it would somehow convey traffic across the lanes. The two lanes are separate meshes, and my original idea was to assign the road attribute only to the two lane surfaces. In order to do so, I need more than one material for the object - one for the bridge structure object and another for the trafficable lanes. I also have an exclusion polygon around the footprint of the bridge just in case.

So a few questions:
  • Can I have more than one material and export it for a single gltf file?
  • Is there clear documentation somewhere regarding bridge objects and traffic connectivity for MSFS?

In my current test the traffic ignores the bridge entirely. The idea is based off a great video by this gentlemen:

What makes mine slightly different is that there are two lanes crossing the river. I hence have modelled two lanes, hoping that it would convey traffic over it, but without any clear rules or guidance I am just guessing at the moment. Any tips or suggestions on getting this to work will be greatly appreciated. I can model the bridge as a static object only, but it would look so much better if the traffic could actually flow across as it should.

Attachments

• Mt_Henry_Bridge.jpg
    Mt_Henry_Bridge.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 8
After further experimentation it appears that more than one material is supported. I joined the meshes for the two lanes into a single object, assigned a new material to it and checked the road material attribute. Imported into MSFS again and now it seems to convey traffic correctly (although the path isn't fond of the curved profile of my bridge surface - will have to flatten it):
Mt_Henry_Bridge_2.jpg

In the image, the light grey part is the main bridge object with a standard MSFS material type. The darker road surface is a similar material, but with the road surface attribute checked. Now I just need to check whether the two materials can refer to the same texture, or there needs to be two separate ones.