• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender to FSX Toolset

Country
germany
Hi Jdberg!

I just added an beacon effect to the test platform that I used in the last Video tutorial that I made for Blender2FSX Tool set. I have found that you must add a material to the object that you apply the effect too. If you do not add a material to the object, the effect will not show up in FSX.

And the beacon effect works good.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Krispy1001:)
Hi Kris,
aaaah, thanks for the hint. I will check that when I am back home. That is indeed a difference to the usage with Gmax, the material isn´t used at all so I didn´t think of attaching a material.
Jörg

Country
us-washington
Hi Everyone!

<I do not know if anyone has upgraded to Blender 2.72 yet. When you do, don't panic when you do not see the FSX Tools in the Tools window. They have been moved to a tab called Misc. in the tool window.>

Krispy,
I have just installed 2.72b and I also grabbed the latest FSX toolset from page one of this thread, and installed from a file in the User Preferences dialog. I get an error that says "multiple addons of same name found. See console for details." when I look at the console it shows nothing of this install error. The FSX tools are in fact in the correct location in the program, based on the previous install version. On the 'Misc' tab there are no FSX tools. So how to do I find the console information about this error, and, or, how do I get the tools to appear again? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to blender and I'm trying to get a handle on using the new toolset. I hope I can get the wonderful results that the rest of you are experiencing? Thanks.

Rickster1146

Country
us-washington
I feel so darned silly at times when the answer is so simple. I merely went to the Wiki pages and read the install instructions and I was placing the toolset in the wrong location. Following the instructions the install went perfectly and I now have FSX TOOLS!!! And the toolset is on it's own tab in v2.72b.

Thank you all for the incredible wealth of information I find here. This makes this hobby (addiction) so much more fun!

Rickster1146

krispy1001

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Hi Rickster1146!

I am happy that you got the Blender2FSX tools set working. And you are very correct, I am also very addicted to the hobby.

Thanks, Krispy1001:)

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I believe, when you install a new Blender version, you don't even need to reinstall the toolset.

Country
germany
Improvement suggestion: Remembering export options across Blender sessions.

I tend to forget to set the appropriate export options before my first export from Blender and don't end up with what I wanted (animated .x files instead of a non-animated .mdl).

@Heretic
Hallo Björn,

If you always work with a specific set of options, you can alter the default options in the file __init__.py to match your selection. Simply open the file in a text editor and change the values. They're all boolean, so it's just a matter of changing True to False and vice-versa. After that, save the file and you're done. Example:
Code:
File: __init__.py

[...]

use_selected = BoolProperty(
    name="Export Selection",
    description="Export selected objects on visible layers",
    default=False
    )
This is the "Export selected" checkbox. Change the "default"-entry to "True" if you need to.
Same goes for the rest.

I could try to implement saving the options across blender sessions, but at the moment, I'm struggling with other functionality and I don't know if @Dutcheeseblend 's request to keep the current behavior as an option could be met.

Take care

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If you always work with a specific set of options, you can alter the default options in the file __init__.py to match your selection. Simply open the file in a text editor and change the values. They're all boolean, so it's just a matter of changing True to False and vice-versa. After that, save the file and you're done. Example:

That's good enough for me! Awesome, thanks!

Country
germany
Hello all,

There is a new release (version 0.6.04) in the first post. Grab it now and enjoy some improvements on attachpoints!:wizard: I have decided to keep the previous version up as a fallback. Changelog is in the first post too.

Cheers :)

Country
germany
Great news, thanks Felix.
Will test that later and will report especially concerning the multi-effect improvements.
Jörg

Country
germany
Wiki manual addendum: A "General Guidelines" section has been created.

@jdberg
Concerning testing, here is what I found out: you must have another generic object present in the same LOD ("generic" in the sense that it has no animation and no attachpoint applied) to make things work. Usually, in a normal, non-testing scenario, this would be the expected situation. So I won't worry much about that for now and turn to other features...

Country
unitedstates
Greetings,
First I want to say a thousand 'Thanks!' to capt_x for making BlendertoFSX modules for Blender. I was a GMAX fan for so long, but wanted to use something that would take modeling further, especially for free. (As I have NO intention of purchasing 3DS MAX, waaay too much)

Anyways. Just now getting used to blender, Im still getting used to texturing in it, Im using the latest version, (as per the time of writing this reply, 2.72), I just started using this program a few days ago and am now thinking of devoting all my fsx development time into using Blender exclusively. It might be time to... It seems so powerful.

But, I DID have to modify my 'export_fsx.py' file to reflect the location of my FSX SDK. I checked my registry, and its listed correctly in there, and seem to be listed only once. But the export module seems to be trying to find it in the default location (listed IN the *.py file, 'D:\\ etc), so I changed it in there and things export properly now, no errors (so far, Im sure Ill screw SOMETHING up)

Got the night and day textures seemingly working, as for MCX anyways, I will try to fully texture a building and check that, but I did find that info in this thread on page 6 or so, so If someone that can modify the wiki could list that in there when I get it nailed down, as I struggled to try to figure out where to put the '_lm" textures when making materials, etc... not listed clearly in the wiki. (not sure if anyone can edit someone elses wiki, or else I would shut up and write a detailed instruction myself on FSX material creation within Blender on the BlendertoFSX wiki)

In Short, BRAVO Capt_x! You just may have helped me make the move from GMAX to Blender...

Country
germany
Greetings,
First I want to say a thousand 'Thanks!' to capt_x for making BlendertoFSX modules for Blender. I was a GMAX fan for so long, but wanted to use something that would take modeling further, especially for free. (As I have NO intention of purchasing 3DS MAX, waaay too much)
Thank you! The more Blender2FSX users, the better. :D

Anyways. Just now getting used to blender, Im still getting used to texturing in it, Im using the latest version, (as per the time of writing this reply, 2.72), I just started using this program a few days ago and am now thinking of devoting all my fsx development time into using Blender exclusively. It might be time to... It seems so powerful.

But, I DID have to modify my 'export_fsx.py' file to reflect the location of my FSX SDK. I checked my registry, and its listed correctly in there, and seem to be listed only once. But the export module seems to be trying to find it in the default location (listed IN the *.py file, 'D:\\ etc), so I changed it in there and things export properly now, no errors (so far, Im sure Ill screw SOMETHING up)
:D If you need any help, let me know...

Got the night and day textures seemingly working, as for MCX anyways, I will try to fully texture a building and check that, but I did find that info in this thread on page 6 or so, so If someone that can modify the wiki could list that in there when I get it nailed down, as I struggled to try to figure out where to put the '_lm" textures when making materials, etc... not listed clearly in the wiki. (not sure if anyone can edit someone elses wiki, or else I would shut up and write a detailed instruction myself on FSX material creation within Blender on the BlendertoFSX wiki)
_LM aka night textures are called Emissive textures in the wiki which, BTW, can be edited by simply clicking the "Edit" link next to the headline of the section you want to edit.

Thank you very much for using Blender2FSX. Regards :)

Country
us-idaho
Good-day to all.

This has been quite fascinating, studying blender.

Having only used MAX, and FSDS 3.5, Blender is a welcome addition.

I'm still attempting to properly set-up the export .x / .mdl with the toolset. I have all of the proper SDK items installed correctly, and have used them frequently. I also have the toolset set-up correctly.
I am getting a similar error to what EdGeneer had above. Attached the image.

I double checked my registry, and also attempted to modify the export .py file, to reflect my SDK directory. No avial.

Any ideas, or maybe something I'm overlooking?

Attachments

• exporterror.jpg
    exporterror.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 400
Country
germany
Hello fsxar177.
Do you get any errors when initializing the tool set? It seems that you are exporting directly to .MDL, try exporting without that option at first. We can then find out if there's something wrong with your model or with the exporter. And make sure to read the wiki manual.

Cheers:)

Country
us-idaho
Thanks a bunch Felix.

No errors while initializing the toolset. Export to just .x is fine.

I have read the manual, so haven't found anything alarming..

If it means anything.. I can open up the default box mesh, and export that without error.

Hmm..
-Joseph

Country
us-idaho
* Edit

I guess third time through the wiki is a good thing...

Found this.."Always apply a material to your objects."

Did that, and ... it exported.

Now for further testing.. Thanks! Uploaded first screenshot of a blender project in the sim. Always a satisfaction to make some headway. This is just a simple model I was using to test the exporter.

- Joseph

Attachments

• 2014-11-28_17-9-33-86.jpg
    2014-11-28_17-9-33-86.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
capt_x said:
_LM aka night textures are called Emissive textures in the wiki which, BTW, can be edited by simply clicking the "Edit" link next to the headline of the section you want to edit.

Thank you very much for using Blender2FSX. Regards :)

Groovy... When I get the process down, and if its not been amended, I will write a step by step to help with the wiki tutorial. I am a logistical, anal retentive tinkerer, so hopefully, I will have a succinct list of useful instructions i can post when I get it here soon :) Always willing to help (if i can, and if it actually DOES help)

Country
germany
Groovy... When I get the process down, and if its not been amended, I will write a step by step to help with the wiki tutorial. I am a logistical, anal retentive tinkerer, so hopefully, I will have a succinct list of useful instructions i can post when I get it here soon :) Always willing to help (if i can, and if it actually DOES help)
That would be great to get the manual further improved. I am really happy, that some other people here seem to migrate from Gmax to Blender like I did some weeks ago.
Because I also searched a lot, what texture means what in the FSX-context, I at least added some hints about the meaning of the textures in the Wiki.
So if someone searchs for "night texture" he should not spend too much time.