• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender to MSFS Exporter on day one?

Country
germany
Hi "Lagaffe"

Thank you very much for the answer and recommendation.
Yes - now it works! :)

Greetings
Peter

Is it possible with this plugin to designate a destination directory for the textures OTHER THAN ..\texture\ , right now no matter what I put into the dialogue box, the exporter expects the textures to be in the ..\texture directory, I like to create sub dirs for each of my models and that way I wonder have to worry about conflicting texture names, the 3ds max exporter allows me to do this like this ..\texture\ModelNameTextures and when I compile the model it all works, if I put that same thing into this plugin the compiler can't find the textures.

Thanks in advance.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Yes that works fine. The path can be anything as far as I can tell.
Just make sure that you tell the package builder where those textures are and you should be good to go. I don't really know how this works for sceneries, but when you create aircraft, you point to your texture folder in the aircraft.cfg. You drop a texture.cfg file in each texture folder with defined fallbacks for anything missing in that particular folder. I could imagine that you need something similar for sceneries as well.

Yes that works fine. The path can be anything as far as I can tell.
Just make sure that you tell the package builder where those textures are and you should be good to go. I don't really know how this works for sceneries, but when you create aircraft, you point to your texture folder in the aircraft.cfg. You drop a texture.cfg file in each texture folder with defined fallbacks for anything missing in that particular folder. I could imagine that you need something similar for sceneries as well.

If you were replying to me, unfortunately, the exporter will not allow you to point to any location other than the texture directory under the Modelib directory, nothing else will work. The 3ds max exporter allows you to designate where you want the texture to be.

I looked in the .gitf file created by the exporter and I found the problem, there is what this exporter does

"uri" : "joe.png"

Here is what the 3dsmax exporter does for the same inputs.

"uri" : "../texture/Angus/joe.png"

As you can see from this, your exporter limits the location that the compiler will allow while the 3dsmax exporter allows any location and in this case relative to the .gitf file (which is what the help text says it will do but doesn't.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Oh that makes sense. Funny thing is that the exporter used to do exactly that, but it lead to problems, because the Asobo way for the texture URIs is non-conform to the standard. Normally the exporter strips the relative path from the string and just leaves the name of the texture file. That makes me think... are you sure that what you're doing in max is supposed to be done? I can't seem to find any example in the fs folder that follows what you're doing. Like I said, I'm not a scenery guy, but the general principle of the msfs file system is such that the glTF file contains a filename, and somewhere in your project folder is a config file that points towards the texture folder.

Country
italy
Hi everyone I have a problem ... I use blender 2.90.1 and MSFSToolkit 0.32.0 .. I try to export my work but in the modelLib / Polonord folder it creates me only in polonord.xml file and in the texture folder nothing .. what am I wrong ??
I attach images, greetings and thanks
Joseph
polonord.png
polonord1.png
polonord2.png

Country
finland
As stated several times in this thread above: the toolkit up to version 37 is not compatible with Blender 2.9. So what you are doing wrong is to try to use the wrong combination.... There is a brand new version 40 out now, so download and try that one. 32 is already very old and many things have been added and fixed since that version.

Country
italy
As stated several times in this thread above: the toolkit up to version 37 is not compatible with Blender 2.9. So what you are doing wrong is to try to use the wrong combination.... There is a brand new version 40 out now, so download and try that one. 32 is already very old and many things have been added and fixed since that version.
Hi ... I downloaded and installed version 0.40 but it doesn't export anything !!! What am I doing wrong ??

Attachments

• polonord3.png
    polonord3.png
    678 KB · Views: 179
Country
germany
Hi ... I downloaded and installed version 0.40 but it doesn't export anything !!! What am I doing wrong ??
First of all, you didn't apply an MSFS material to your (straight from Google?) object, the shader editor shows a principled shader applied instead of a MSFS compliant material. From the material menu choose MSFS standard material and select your texture as the albedo map, then try export again
Make sure that the object is selected, all the export parameters are set correctly and the xml file name matches the model name. The complexity of the object you're exporting doesn't matter contrary to what the previous poster says, you can export models for hundreds of thousands of vertices if you wish, but a basic understanding of how 3d modeling and texturing works and how MSFS interprets the parameters is a prerequisite.

ps: You're right, it works ok now, thanks. Only the x-plane obj. is rear/front switched. Should I try to rotate it 180'? I've lots of animations and blend files...

Last edited: