Blender Blender2P3D/FSX

Hi Vitus...,

I am in the process of continuing my tests, and I realize that, for the Specular Material, an additional value must be used for the texture to appear quite transparent in P3Dv4. This is Final Alpha Blend; "Set final alpha value at render time" must be done, and the "Final alpha multiply" must be less than 1...!

This is probably correct, but it is a difference from the old values used in Blender 2.79...

Now I'm testing a "Fresnel" texture, and there's a path problem.... In the simulator, the model looks for a path that is not the path of the texture in the simulator, but the path of the texture in Blender...!

Vitus

Resource contributor
Aaah... The endless mysteries of FSX's transparency. I take it that this one might not be on me then :D
I throught it should be easier to create transparent material using PBR. But again, I haven't had the time to test it yet. What seems to be the difficulty?

As for the fresnel: you're right! The exporter doesn't truncate the path yet. I put it in for the next version. In the meantime my suggestion is to manual remove the directory structure from the fresnel edit box.

As for the fresnel: you're right! The exporter doesn't truncate the path yet. I put it in for the next version. In the meantime my suggestion is to manual remove the directory structure from the fresnel edit box.
I did... and it seems to be working...! I will now study and control the results... ;)

I had the same issue with glass as well and got mine to work by copying from the "IRIS Raptor Driver" texture. I loaded the mdl up in MCX and looked at the Glass_t material in the Material Editor. I modified my Blender values to match those and used his glass_t.dds, glass_s.dds and the canopy_fresnel_ramp.dds.

It worked but I liked the look better without the fresnel applied.

I will have to modify the glass_t and glass_s to a different colour as the Tutor jet I am modelling doesn't really look nice with the blue tinted glass.

Hope this helps you.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Specifically, @MANOCHVARMA RAMAN and I, are working on PBR transparency (blue channel - the workings of a PBR/Specular combo workflow, and before anyone says otherwise, yes it's possible LOL! ) - but the specular workflow and transparency should be similar if not the same (at least how it is attached to the shader). Concerning the issues of transparency,... are any of you attaching the alpha channel of your textures to the alpha in the Principled BSDF shader?

As of right now though... the blue channel within the metallic map is not having much effect on what we are seeing. We do know that the blue channel is called the Specular Reflection or Gloss map. Also, it is an 8-bit grayscale image (much like the rest of the maps within the metallic map). It's a matter of working within the Principled BSDF Shader (Blender) and what's needed, etc.

Vitus

Resource contributor
I tried a first test-export of my model today only to find out that there's an important part of the Exporter missing at the moment. The missing code makes it currently impossible to export models with armatures and their animations. I hope I get the next update out maybe around Sunday and that update will include the few smaller fixes we discussed here over the past few days.

Vitus

Resource contributor
So apparently it's Monday now and I am a day late.
(unfortunately 9gag urls can't be embedded...)

Anyway, I uploaded the new version with the fixes discussed before.
Changelog (27.04.2020):
  • Removed the full path of the strings for fresnel, reflection and detail maps=
  • Added support for armatures
  • Fixed the paths to the P3Dv2 and P3Dv3 SDKs
As always, the update is awaiting moderation, so please be patient until the version indicates 0.98.01

Also note that you can safely skip this small update if you don't use armatures or any of the texture slots in the custom parameters.

Hey @Vitus , been using the plugin for a while but something has happened and it's really gotten itself into a tizz.
I've started to get these errors when opening the MDLs in MCX to check my progress:

10:09 PM MDLXReader Error Invalid section length for section GEAR

I've had to go so far as removing all animation tags from the model and then slowly re-add them. I'd just finished and tested all the gear anims and started adding in some flaps when I got this error. I'm now going back and trying to figure out what's causing it.

Also some items animate find in Blender but are borked in MCX/P3D. Instead of animated up/down on the Y axis it's translating on the X. Or another part is rotating in Blender but fixed in MCX

OK Nailed it down to one of my empties. It's showing with no animation tag, but when I export it, it animates!

So, give it an animation tag, BANG errors.

Vitus

Resource contributor
OK Nailed it down to one of my empties. It's showing with no animation tag, but when I export it, it animates!

So, give it an animation tag, BANG errors.
If I understand you correctly, the problem with the animation not showing up seems to be linked to the animation tag missing, right? But now you're getting an error when exporting an empty with an animation tag? Could you please post the error and let me know what type of empty you're using and I'll try to replicate the problem. It's possible that certain object types are not exported correctly at the moment - I ran into that with armatures/bones but that should be fixed by now... anyway, please let me know and I'll take a look.

Kinda.

The issue is that one set of empty's are exporting even though there is no animation tag showing in their properties
1589006258556.png

See there is no animation tag on this empty, yet it animates (it's the top animated element, it's not inheriting animation.

So if I go and tag this empty, no errors on the exporter, but when viewing in MCX it will error saying

10:09 PM MDLXReader Error Invalid section length for section GEAR

Or some other section. So I assume here that it has somehow retained the animation tag but is not showing that it has a tag.

Hi, I don´t know if this is the right place to ask, but I´m having a problem exporting a test object with the Blender2P3D tool. I set up a simple cube and assigned a diffuse, normal and specular texture using the P3D Specular Material approach (not PBR). I then exported the file using the tool and got a .x and .mdl file without error messages. But when I try to load the mdl file into MCX, I get a "failed to load texture: texturename.dds" error message. So it seems that MCX expects my textures to be converted to .dds format. Is there a parameter I can set in the Blender2P3D tool to convert the textures automatically, or do I need to do this manually?

Thanks and best regards,

Fabian

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello...

It's manually, this allows others to process them through Substance Painter or alike.

Hi, I've just reinstalled Blender (v2.82) in my new system, but when I tried to install the FSX/P3D toolset I run into a problem.I followed every step for the installation but when I press N, it doesn't show FSX/P3D anywhere, it just shows the standard 'Item, Tool, View' tabs. I did activate it under the Testing tab, under Preferences. Am I forgetting something or doing something wrong?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Are you sure you activated... can you show with a screenshot? Which toolset did you install? Which version? I don't recall a testing section for the latest version of the toolset.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
In Preferences-> Add ons-> Testing Tab

And for the version, it says it's the v0.9.5
OK that's not the latest Toolset for Blender v2.8x.

Download the latest here:

The version you downloaded was for Blender v2.79b.

Make sure to remove the toolset for Blender v2.79b from v2.82 before installing the latest.

Last edited:
OK that's not the latest Toolset for Blender v2.8x.

Download the latest here:

The version you downloaded was for Blender v2.79b.

Make sure to remove the toolset for Blender v2.79b from v2.82 before installing the latest.
Thank you! I think it works, can you just confirm that this is how it should look like? I didn't find the add on under the Testing tab. It was under the Community tab and it was just one. Not three like in other tutorials.

Attachments

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Thank you! I think it works, can you just confirm that this is how it should look like? I didn't find the add on under the Testing tab. It was under the Community tab and it was just one. Not three like in other tutorials.
That's correct! Ready to go!