FSX Blurred textures on Taxi lines

I made a texture of resolution 2048*4096 IDK whats wrong when i have texture maxload set to 4096 it gives pretty crispy look in FSX while when i change it to maxload 1024 the texture gets blurred and doesnt appear good , can anyone give me hint how i can fix this any help would be much appreciated .

Preview with maxload 4096

Preview with maxload 1024 :

Attachments

Last edited:
Then you would need maxload to allow 4096...

Better yet, you could just apply to a 4096x4096 or 2048x2048 texture....rectangular textures are not recommended

Hello:

FYI: The FSX.Cfg file parameter TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD must be distinguished from TextureMaxLoad.

Texture_Max_Load is the maximum texture resolution in pixels allowed to be displayed by the FS run time rendering engine.

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4098 means FX is allowed to display textures up to 4096x4096.

FSX returns this value to the default 1024 every time it is re-loaded unless it is automatically restored by a 3rd party utility

TextureMaxLoad works in conjunction with 'TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIPLIER' and is related to how FSX loads textures; reportedly changing this value correctly results in improving the blurries or stutters at run time.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/400862-fsxcfg-texture_max_load-vs-texturemaxload/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/281312-texturemaxload-vs-texture_max_load/

I agree that one should set TEXTUREMAXLOAD=4096 to enable display of mapped texture image materials at max resolution.

However, one should also be certain to inspect all mapped textures in ex: SDK ImageTool to ensure that all such mapped texture images have between 7 to 9 MIPMAPs depending on the FS object type to which they are mapped as Materials.

Otherwise one may find that the FS rendering engine will attempt to create such a lower resolution MIPMAP compatible with the current local context of Texel Density for the LOD level being displayed, and IIUC, such MIPMAPs created 'on the fly' at run time may not appear to be as visually 'sharp' compared to discrete MIPMAPs loaded from within texture images that were created ex: SDK ImageTool.

Additionally, there may a cumulative adverse performance impact if rendering many local objects that do not have MIPMAPs.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=zBNOW7T_GMq-jwTfmbvYBQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+MIPMAP&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+MIPMAP&gs_l=psy-ab.3...998721.1003983.0.1007408.13.13.0.0.0.0.224.1188.9j2j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.552...0j0i67k1j0i131k1.0.Hb2E4dQV4go

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hello:

FYI: The FSX.Cfg file parameter TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD must be distinguished from TextureMaxLoad.

Texture_Max_Load is the maximum texture resolution in pixels allowed to be displayed by the FS run time rendering engine.

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4098 means FX is allowed to display textures up to 4096x4096.

FSX returns this value to the default 1024 every time it is re-loaded unless it is automatically restored by a 3rd party utility

TextureMaxLoad works in conjunction with 'TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIPLIER' and is related to how FSX loads textures; reportedly changing this value correctly results in improving the blurries or stutters at run time.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/400862-fsxcfg-texture_max_load-vs-texturemaxload/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/281312-texturemaxload-vs-texture_max_load/

I agree that one should set TEXTUREMAXLOAD=4096 to enable display of mapped texture image materials at max resolution.

However, one should also be certain to inspect all mapped textures in ex: SDK ImageTool to ensure that all such mapped texture images have between 7 to 9 MIPMAPs depending on the FS object type to which they are mapped as Materials.

Otherwise one may find that the FS rendering engine will attempt to create such a lower resolution MIPMAP compatible with the current local context of Texel Density for the LOD level being displayed, and IIUC, such MIPMAPs created 'on the fly' at run time may not appear to be as visually 'sharp' as a discrete MIPMAP loaded from within the texture image that were created ex: SDK ImageTool.

Additionally, there may a cumulative adverse performance impact if rendering many local objects that do not have MIPMAPs.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=zBNOW7T_GMq-jwTfmbvYBQ&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+MIPMAP&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+MIPMAP&gs_l=psy-ab.3...998721.1003983.0.1007408.13.13.0.0.0.0.224.1188.9j2j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.552...0j0i67k1j0i131k1.0.Hb2E4dQV4go

GaryGB
Hi , I have checked the textures and they are mip mapped , i just wanted to know how I can improve their look at 1024 ?

I dont really feel that rectangular or square texture has anything to do with this it is a 2048 ( length ) X 4096 ( Width ) Texture it looks goood in 4096 maxload but i dont know what is causing it to blur at 1024 in maxload

Then you would need maxload to allow 4096...

Better yet, you could just apply to a 4096x4096 or 2048x2048 texture....rectangular textures are not recommended

Because when you set maxload to 1024 FS resizes such large textures to 1024 pixels (max), so your texture is being reduced by 4x in length, resulting in a lower pixel resolution.

Because when you set maxload to 1024 FS resizes such large textures to 1024 pixels (max), so your texture is being reduced by 4x in length, resulting in a lower pixel resolution.
makes sense , i am testing by changing the resolutions and different ratios

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
  1. If you set Max load=1024, your texture will be resize to 1024. No matter which size you use. The resize texture does not look crisp as its original resolution.
  2. If you set Max load =4096, it will show you the max resolution at 4096.
  3. Setting Max Load in FSX, every time you restart it will bouce back to 1024. P3D stays the same setting.
  4. I personally think that the line has the texture repeated on itself along the length. Just only a few meters away you cannot see the detail of it in real life and flight sim too. So, I use the rectangular texture and repeat it in vertical. I normally use only 1024 width and 512 in vertical. If you use 4096x1024, it is more than enough already. The bigger texture require a certain space in Ram. Let's spare to the other use that is more obvious in the scene such as the buildings. It is just only my thought.

Well
  1. If you set Max load=1024, your texture will be resize to 1024. No matter which size you use. The resize texture does not look crisp as its original resolution.
  2. If you set Max load =4096, it will show you the max resolution at 4096.
  3. Setting Max Load in FSX, every time you restart it will bouce back to 1024. P3D stays the same setting.
  4. I personally think that the line has the texture repeated on itself along the length. Just only a few meters away you cannot see the detail of it in real life and flight sim too. So, I use the rectangular texture and repeat it in vertical. I normally use only 1024 width and 512 in vertical. If you use 4096x1024, it is more than enough already. The bigger texture require a certain space in Ram. Let's spare to the other use that is more obvious in the scene such as the buildings. It is just only my thought.
Yes I have realised the problem i was able to fix it , it was because the the lines had very small portion of the texture sheet which was causing it to blur when spread on the polygon so i am now making a high resolution texture sheet where the lines will have more portion of texture so they dont blur .Thank you for your response !