• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Boeing 777-200

Country
us-california
So, I'm stuck on creating the jet engines (sorry, no screenshots. I have yet to transfer my current model from the school computer to my personal one).

Any idea how to do this?

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I would use is to deform a a cylinder to the shape of the engine and then make the fans... I can't really explain it through text alone, I'll make some screenshots to show how ;)

Country
us-california
So, not related to my FSX model, but here's the 772 that's for my animation project (which has taken priority over the FSX model).

Finished Product (2).jpg

Safe to say...
Those landing struts are toothpicks.

But seriously. That weirdly shaded thing on the back is supposed to be a cargo door (I have yet to figure out rotation constraint, so as of right now, it has a 360 degree rotation on the Y axis).

Last edited:

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
But seriously. That weirdly shaded thing on the back is supposed to be a cargo door (I have yet to figure out rotation constraint, so as of right now, it has a 360 degree rotation on the Y axis).

Did you said any edge split on that cargo door? And on the fusalage? To be sure that shading goes away go into edit mode with the cargodoor selected, select the outer edges and press Ctrl + E and select "mark sharp". Now go back into object mode and give it an edge split modifier, make sure that only "sharp edges" is on... That should fix it you ;)

Country
us-california
Did you said any edge split on that cargo door? And on the fusalage? To be sure that shading goes away go into edit mode with the cargodoor selected, select the outer edges and press Ctrl + E and select "mark sharp". Now go back into object mode and give it an edge split modifier, make sure that only "sharp edges" is on... That should fix it you ;)
The fusalage has no modifications on it and the door only has a solidify mod on it. Thanks for the tip :)

Country
us-california
Well, I don't have my school's 16:9 Mac now, so I'm back to my square screen haha. Anyways, how is the cargo door placement?
Capture42.PNG

Also, how would you create the wing root? This part really stumps me D:

Last edited:

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Looks good! I'm thinking the door placement is a bit off though... I believe that on the 777F the cargo door is less wide and higher. It seems to reach pritty high up on the real thing.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'd think you'r okay there, you might want to check it with some reference. I've seen the B777F a couple of times but never really payed much attention to the size of the it's cargo door.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When deciding to create a model that is accurate in detail you must do a lot of homework. If you haven't spent many hours searching for reference material then you haven't done your homework. Try to collect as much data as possible, photographs, photographs and more photographs. Study them. Use the dimensions you have to calculate in photographs the various sizes of the different parts such as doors.
Don't ask someone here if your door needs to be resized, do your homework!

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
When deciding to create a model that is accurate in detail you must do a lot of homework. If you haven't spent many hours searching for reference material then you haven't done your homework. Try to collect as much data as possible, photographs, photographs and more photographs. Study them. Use the dimensions you have to calculate in photographs the various sizes of the different parts such as doors.
Don't ask someone here if your door needs to be resized, do your homework!

Paul's right! Get a whole lot of reference material! A google search might not help as such, but some searching on photo sharing sites will. Also a lot of good reference material can be obtained by reading and carefully viewing manuals, some of which might be available on the web aswell. ;)