• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 Bombardier Challenger 605

Country
unitedstates
65,000 poly's is fine and you should do another 65,000 for the interior.

Try to keep the entire project under 180,000 poly's and you can make it look like
500K.

Looks really good.

Country
us-illinois
Okay...After going a long time without messing with this project, I finally got myself to start working on it again. I know I had some parts textured before, but I'm re-starting the mapping process because I felt that some ares could be modeled a little better. So now I'm just finishing up modeling most of the important stuff, and I should start mapping it in a few days or so. I attached some renders so tell me what you think. :cool: (P.S., the poly count on this aircraft before was around 67,000, but now after re-modeling some parts, I've knocked it down to around 21,000. :cool: So now this shouldn't be too much of a performance hog once it's efficiently texture mapped.) ;)

Attachments

• challenger_605(2).jpg
    challenger_605(2).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,492
  • challenger_605(3).jpg
    challenger_605(3).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,278
  • challenger_605.jpg
    challenger_605.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,394
  • render03.jpg
    render03.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,444
Country
us-illinois
I've just begun to map the fuselage of this aircraft, and this job will take at least a week or so. I still need to model the pilots, but other than that, the exterior is pretty much finished. I'll post a screenshot whenever I can; I'm hoping that I will be able to bake a layer of shading over the whole diffuse map, that way I can add it to my diffuse and add some more depth. ;) Texturing the whole exterior will probably take about another 2 weeks, I'm estimating. I've also been fooling with flight dynamics, and have managed to tweak the Learjet 45's aircraft.cfg file to all known values that I could find. Still haven't gotten the [contact points] quite right, but I'm working on it. The real challenge will be making an .air file--I currently have NO idea how to do that! :confused: For me, opening an AIR file is like trying to decode 1,000+ pages of hieroglyphics without the Rosetta Stone. :rotfl: I heard somewhere that AirWrench is useful, but I don't want to buy it yet because I don't know if there's a free alternative to editing .air files. If anyone has experience with .air files and would like to help, please don't be shy. :) I'm still learning.

Cheers!

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
I heard somewhere that AirWrench is useful, but I don't want to buy it yet because I don't know if there's a free alternative to editing .air files. If anyone has experience with .air files and would like to help, please don't be shy. :) I'm still learning.

Cheers!

AAM. Aircraft Airfile Manager. Free. Theres plenty of guys in the FDE section who can help ya.

Country
us-illinois
AAM. Aircraft Airfile Manager. Free. Theres plenty of guys in the FDE section who can help ya.

Wow! Aircraft Airfile Manager is the Bomb diggedy! :D Never knew a freeware program like that could even come close to AirWrench. Pretty neat! :cool:

Country
us-illinois
Texture work has officially begun...for REAL this time. No more playing around. :rolleyes: Ambient occlusion is now baked over the entire exterior of the aircraft I've managed so far to get a good start on the texture for the engines, which is one sheet out of five on the whole aircraft (exterior only). Those shiny/reflective textures you see on the engine exhaust nozzles are 100% hand-painted in GIMP...without baking reflection by using an environment map (which I don't know how to do anyway). ;) For a first try, I think it looks pretty nice at this stage. The only downside to painting reflection manually is that is looks rather odd in overcast conditions, but oh well.

challenger_textured_zps92b5a409.jpg

challenger_textured02_zps242fba8e.jpg

Country
us-illinois
Thanks! I tried to get that same effect a long time ago but failed miserably. :( Working on the wings and tail right now...

Country
unitedkingdom
Ozzman - "The only downside to painting reflection manually is that is looks rather odd in overcast conditions, but oh well."

I assume you are thinking of the sun-glare effect - but that could be toned down to some kind of average, perhaps?

I also noticed in the rear view that they are opposite highlights and this gave me an idea.

One over-elaborate way to get matched blue-side-up reflections on engine nacelle rims and engine cones would possibly be to animate them - well, provided they are circular though their main axis?

With a circular engine cone you could animate if you could get access to bank angle variables (fuselage roll or something like that). You could just animate the part to remain blue side up by reversing that angle in the animation. Plane rolls 15 degrees right, you move the shiny engine around its longitudinal axis 15 degrees left. Intake lips are not so obvious. They are not all circular so the same approach may not work for those. It might also be that the effect is far too subtle to be worth the effort. In principle this would work.

This would also work for shiny prop spinners if they were not already animating, but a translucent spinner shape over the real spinner might achieve the same trick and lend a moving highlight to the other object.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
What I might just do is add a reflection map for all the chrome parts of the aircraft. One that represents a nice blue sky with some clouds, then a horizon and an interesting ground. I'll see how it works out. ;) Until then, enjoy another preview...this one IN the sim. :D

2013-6-13_21-36-11-992_zps46bc42bf.jpg

Cheers! Hopefully this project ends well!

Country
us-illinois
As you can see, I went ahead and added a slight amount of wing flex to give it a little more life. From YouTube videos I've seen, the wings of this aircraft actually do wiggle quite a bit in turbulent conditions.

Country
us-texas
As you can see, I went ahead and added a slight amount of wing flex to give it a little more life. From YouTube videos I've seen, the wings of this aircraft actually do wiggle quite a bit in turbulent conditions.

I can concur with what you say as to wing-flex. The USCG Challenger certainly shows the wing flex wiggle with turbulence in-flight, but also on head and tail winds during TO and Landings at times. I have observed the few times I actually got picked to babysit the Challenger when she comes thru and to the Corpus-San Antonio Joint Base Zone.

Country
us-illinois
Working away at the texture for the tops of the wings...:stirthepo I should finish texturing within 2 weeks from now.

render_zps7631b526.jpg