• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE Brain Freeze - tried to add ILS

connomar

Resource contributor
Country
us-minnesota
Having spent many hours correcting taxi signs, taxiways and runway settings, I made the mistake of adding the ILS to my runway using ADE. Now the build is throwing lots of errors because of missing approach points. I seem to remember Jon saying the approach system should not be used, but my question is: Can I erase my error without reverting to an earlier backup, which is not very recent and will wipe several days work?

Country
australia
Hi. The Approach/ILS will be held in the xml file in PackageSources\data\airportblah.xml
or a similar location
If you are unsure of what statements to blow away compare your backup (I take a backup before I start anything on the day)
An Example:
<Ils lat="-42.308025" lon="147.411284" alt="412.44831510540098" heading="85.0" frequency="109.1" magvar="0.0" ident="ILOT" width="5.0" name="ILS07">
<GlideSlope lat="-42.309770" lon="147.396806" alt="414.528" pitch="3" range="18.0N"/>
<Dme lat="-42.309770" lon="147.396806" alt="414.528" range="18.0N"/>
</Ils>
<Waypoint lat="-42.335076" lon="147.085540" magvar="0.0" waypointType="NAMED" waypointRegion="LF" waypointIdent="WPOT1"/>
<Waypoint lat="-42.268704" lon="147.486804" magvar="0.0" waypointType="NAMED" waypointRegion="LF" waypointIdent="WPOT2"/>
<Approach type="ILS" runway="07" fixType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT" fixRegion="LF" fixIdent="POXID" altitude="3500.0F" heading="70.0" missedAltitude="4800.0F"/>

connomar

Resource contributor
Country
us-minnesota
Hi. The Approach/ILS will be held in the xml file in PackageSources\data\airportblah.xml
or a similar location
If you are unsure of what statements to blow away compare your backup (I take a backup before I start anything on the day)
An Example:
<Ils lat="-42.308025" lon="147.411284" alt="412.44831510540098" heading="85.0" frequency="109.1" magvar="0.0" ident="ILOT" width="5.0" name="ILS07">
<GlideSlope lat="-42.309770" lon="147.396806" alt="414.528" pitch="3" range="18.0N"/>
<Dme lat="-42.309770" lon="147.396806" alt="414.528" range="18.0N"/>
</Ils>
<Waypoint lat="-42.335076" lon="147.085540" magvar="0.0" waypointType="NAMED" waypointRegion="LF" waypointIdent="WPOT1"/>
<Waypoint lat="-42.268704" lon="147.486804" magvar="0.0" waypointType="NAMED" waypointRegion="LF" waypointIdent="WPOT2"/>
<Approach type="ILS" runway="07" fixType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT" fixRegion="LF" fixIdent="POXID" altitude="3500.0F" heading="70.0" missedAltitude="4800.0F"/>
Many thanks, great advice.

Country
switzerland
Yes, but unfortunately that's not the whole thrut...:) I have exactly the same problem. You can of course remove the waypoints from the XML-file before compilig, but you must be aware that after each project saving the same waypoint will appear again at the same locationin the XML-file! That's at least how it happens in my project. I have checked all pertinent lists to eventually find something inadvertently being stored and not properly removed when removing the ILS, but couldn't find anything. Maybe some of you Gurus will eventually find the culprit?;)

connomar

Resource contributor
Country
us-minnesota
I removed the ILS section from the XML, then created a new project from that modified XML. I had no further problems after that.

Country
switzerland
I removed the ILS section from the XML, then created a new project from that modified XML. I had no further problems after that.
Yes, that might be the difference. I only removed the ILS from within the ADE project without explicitly removing the ILS Section in the XML. Thereafter after each project save the three waypoints are showing up.Never mind. I finished this project anyway.

Country
ukraine
My English is not very good. excuse me if I said something wrong.

Maybe this is a somewhat belated answer. ILS resides in XML in PackageSources\data\ directory. But in example above ILS tag is slightly wrong, and if you do the ils as in this example, there will be package build errors.
ILS tag must be defined inside <Runway> tag, i.e.:
XML:
<Runway ... other parameters ... >
     ... other tags
      <Ils ... other options ... >
      </Ils>
      ... other tags
</Runway>
And, the ILS tag must contain a parameter "end", for example
XML:
<Ils lon="39.89987" lat="47.4818" alt="84.489" end="SECONDARY" ... other options ...>
This parameter must be "PRIMARY" or "SECONDARY".

connomar

Resource contributor
Country
us-minnesota
Many thanks for that Alexpro.

I'm not sure that there is any value in adding the information into the xml anyway, as the built in data that MSFS uses, provides all the information for the nav systems even if the ILS data is not input.

Country
ukraine
Yes, I think that ILS makes sense to add only in cases where the built-in data is inaccurate or when ILS is missing in built-in data.

My English is not very good. excuse me if I said something wrong.

Maybe this is a somewhat belated answer. ILS resides in XML in PackageSources\data\ directory. But in example above ILS tag is slightly wrong, and if you do the ils as in this example, there will be package build errors.
ILS tag must be defined inside <Runway> tag, i.e.:
XML:
<Runway ... other parameters ... >
     ... other tags
      <Ils ... other options ... >
      </Ils>
      ... other tags
</Runway>
And, the ILS tag must contain a parameter "end", for example
XML:
<Ils lon="39.89987" lat="47.4818" alt="84.489" end="SECONDARY" ... other options ...>
This parameter must be "PRIMARY" or "SECONDARY".
Not exactly correct. I've noticed that when the ILS object is placed as a child to the runway, and the bgl is created and then transformed back into an xml file that the compiler moves the ILS objects to be a child of the Airport object, and the END tag is stripped away.

No I am now creating my own xml files with the ILS as separate from runway and I am able to run it through the fspackagetool without error. Quite odd what Asobo has done here.

Country
ukraine
Not exactly correct. I've noticed that when the ILS object is placed as a child to the runway, and the bgl is created and then transformed back into an xml file that the compiler moves the ILS objects to be a child of the Airport object, and the END tag is stripped away.
It is strange, but I was unable to build the project with ADE, and the error said that the ILS was missing END parameter...
One more thing. If you open a project in the editor inside the simulator, ILS is visible only if it is described in the runway tag. Accordingly, if you add ILS in the simulator editor, then in the resulting XML ILS will be inside the <runway> tag, with the end parameters.
Сouple weeks ago I needed to tweak the ILS a little in one custom scene, and I ran into this feature. The scene transformation from BGL to XML also placed the ILS inside the airport for me.
Maybe this is some new feature from Asobo? I don't know...