Build your house using SketchUp tutorial

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have uploaded the tutorial I have written about making a house for FSX using SketchUp. This tutorial is aimed at the novice developer that wants to build his (or her) first object. It covers the following topics:

• How to gather the information about the building
  • How to model the geometry in SketchUp
  • How to create the texture from photo material
  • How to map the texture on the building
  • How to export the building to the file formats used by FSX
  • How to position the building at the right location in the world

You can find the tutorial on the Wiki.

I hope it is useful to you and let me know if you have any feedback!

Some of the topics are not SketchUp specific by the way, so they might also be useful when you are modelling in GMax or FSDS.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Let me double check the link. I'll report back soon.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Here for me the link is working fine. Be aware that it is a big file, so it might take a little while to download.

hi Arno,
Sorry this reply is a bit late, but i can report that in the meantime i have downloaded the complete tutorial.
Thanks for checking out and ofcourse for the tutorial itself; very helpfull.

Regards
Bert

Great work Arno. Thx for the heads up. I have in the past exported models into 3ds format and then imported them into gmax. With some fiddling it is possible to export then to fsx. Your method is much better so thanks for sharing dude.

Good job!

Good Job Arno! A great tutorial for us beginners.

As a phortographer for 15 years I have one little tips for taking the photographs. Photograph outdoor objets in overcast conditions! It gives flat even lighting (no ugly shades) to the thing you photograph and the sky is easily blown out making editis in photoshop much easier.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks for the tip on the photography. That will for sure help with making the textures. But I guess it is always a balance, on a gray day the colours look less good as well.

Thanks for the tip on the photography. That will for sure help with making the textures. But I guess it is always a balance, on a gray day the colours look less good as well.
Just add a bit of contrast in the photo editing software and you'll have plenty saturated colours.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I'll give that a try next time. When it comes to photography I know I can still learn enough new things :).