• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Building reflection

Hi,
can we see the surrounding lights's reflections on building's windows?"semi mirror" effect if I want to call it.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
No, it is not possible in FSX. But you can make your own reflection texture (Environment) and add some night light in there.

Can you show me a sample of this Environment texture? BTW, do you know how can I make the transparency texture for buildings? I think it's the better choice because at least we can see lights moving thought the building.
thank you

Country
unitedkingdom
Check this out:
http://www.eagleskinner.com/EScubemaps.htm

If you want transparencies in a model in addition, Make a different material, and you'd have to make the glass section separately. You can't just have a section of a box semi-transparent.

But I can't seem to use reflections on a transparent object, so either do that or use the diffuse alpha as the reflection map:
Tick "use inverse alpha for reflection" and either use "Global environment map" or one you have supplied.

This way you can just have reflective glass.

Last edited:
Country
spain
In this case you should make your own ones (cubemaps). if you want to see some of the around environment. like lights.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Very good one.
But I'd like to ask. If the example is a glass building, all the surface are glass. How would it be? Do we need more cube map?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Very good one.
But I'd like to ask. If the example is a glass building, all the surface are glass. How would it be? Do we need more cube map?

I wouldn't make a separate cube map for say each side of the building,.. because it would use quite a lot of memory,..

The default "cube map" or environmental map,.. its a general representation,.. for trees, hills, and without buildings. So for instance, with say a downtown area where a lot of buildings around other buildings,.. the default cube map wouldn't be the best fit.

What I would do, would create a "cube map" for each general region,.. the default would be best for the rural areas,. another for a city or downtown area,.. and so forth...