• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Buildings invisible - "Unknown" in object list

Country
australia
Hi All,

Have returned to my project for the first time after SU5 and SDK 0.14. Every time I build my project in the editor, all my buildings turn invisible (wireframes etc are all there) and their names all change to "unkown" in the list.

I am aware of some other devs who have had this problem from time to time but it's never happened to me. This happens with my v1.1 version of my scenery that has been modified as well as my v1.0 version that has not since June.

If I build from fspackagetool.exe my buildings all return. That of course requires a restart of the sim though, so is a very tedious process to get any actual work done.

Since there seems to be no other reports of this I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes this and how to fix it?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
There are numerous reports, the problem is extremely common since su5, that and flickering projected meshes. The fist thing you want to do is choose a new category for artproj asset groups.

Country
australia
Thanks =rk= I have been through that thread, none of my asset groups are ArtProj (never were). Lots of reports about jetways being weird but my particular problem affects ALL of my buildings, not just the ones I edit. As soon as I Build All, every custom building on the airport disappears.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Are you watching the MSFS Dev thread:

Country
australia
Yes, I have been following that thread. It doesn't really tell me anything other than it's broken, there are tedious work-arounds that don't actually fix the problem, and Asobo/MS doesn't care about 3rd party developers.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
The problem does not affect me, nor many other developers. It suggests the issue is procedural and the distinction that all buildings are affected, as opposed to only edited ones being affected, does not support an alternative conclusion.

Country
us-illinois
Regarding ArtProj Asset Group type:

FYI: https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm#t=Developer_Mode/Project_Editor/Asset_Types.htm&rhsearch=ArtProj&rhhlterm=artproj

Perhaps Dick and/or Jon might advise on an updated course of action for this (multiple) "library objects" BGL work-flow, since Dick's worked example using FSX Compatibility Mode also uses the ArtProj Asset Group type which, IIRC, Jon has stated to now be deprecated in the SDK by Asobo. :scratchch

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsx-objects-in-

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...een-artproj-and-modellib-asset-groups.452289/msfs.448976/

GaryGB

Country
france
"Unknown" means that the GUID called in your scenery xml does not match anything in the object libraries (including your ModelLib). Generally happens when re-exporting a model with a GUID change. Try to keep the same GUIDs when updating and re-exporting a model.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
"Unknown" means that the GUID called in your scenery xml does not match anything in the object libraries (including your ModelLib). Generally happens when re-exporting a model with a GUID change. Try to keep the same GUIDs when updating and re-exporting a model.
This happens with my v1.1 version of my scenery that has been modified as well as my v1.0 version that has not since June.
The OP has expressed that unedited models also disappear, therefore the general cause for GUID mismatch is probably not this cause for GUID mismatch, but since we know so little about procedure, every suggestion will be a stab in the dark, unless and until Barbs decides to elucidate.
there are tedious work-arounds that don't actually fix the problem, and Asobo/MS doesn't care about 3rd party developers.
While I support the conclusion, the hypothesis by which it was arrived, is open to interpretation, imo. "Tedious work arounds," may well be MSFS procedure interpreted liberally, the fact that they don't actually fix the problem might in the slightest possibility arise, from a refusal to succumb to tedium.

Country
australia
Hi All,

Sorry been testing a few different things. Improved in some respects.

• I am still unable to Build in the editor without ALL of the buildings and other 3D objects disappearing from the airport.
  • If I Build from the fspackagetool.exe and restart the sim my buildings are fine (have made a nice little batch file to make this less click happy).
  • If I Build from within the editor (buildings gone) and then restart the sim, reload my project, buildings are back.

So it seems all the GUIDs are fine, I am just forced to restart the sim after every build. Now why was this a concern? I was updating some material properties on an existing object and had to rebuild every time to get my model to update. I have now found a way to get live model updates working again so the process is almost back to how it was before SU5.

Thanks for everyone's help. I have learned a lot about how the build process and VFS works in the process of testing all this.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ok, great! Now for everyone else who has this problem and everyone who offered suggestions, please do tell us what does make it work.

Country
australia
Lol sorry,

I followed one of the solutions here.... https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/questions/1528/gltf-online-edit.html

The problem seems to be related to the order in which the textures, .bin and .gltf are saved.

With the sim running, make your edit (I'm using blender), export the model to GLTF. Open the GLTF in notepad++, make a small change that forces a save (like add a space and then delete it) and voila, your model refreshes in the sim. Actually I just leave the GLTF open in notepad++ and it'll reload when it changes for you to save again.

As long as the .gltf updates last, the sim will refresh it without reloading.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Wow, thanks. Funky workaround, but no excessive effort involved.