• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 BUMP/Spec textures issue?

Hey,
I'v created a GP of an airstrip in Israel.
I created the edges of the runway and the apron by using a specific texture, which is basicly my main ashpalt texture cutted at the edges to create a realistic look.
I'v applied Bump and spec texture for both main and edges textures. The bumps and specs are basicly the same, yet I get different specular effect in P3D, while in MCX everything looks fine and the same material setting are applied for both textures.

I'v attached a few pics to show this strange issue(Igonre the black crack, I have to change the texture for it)...

Any help would be apriciated :)
2018-3-1_22-47-35-36.png
2018-3-1_22-47-41-521.png
2018-3-1_22-47-46-27.png
2018-3-1_22-47-46-299.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
How could your specular and bump look the same? Without looking at the actual textures and what you see in MCX, it's hard to tell what you are referring to.

How could your specular and bump look the same? Without looking at the actual textures and what you see in MCX, it's hard to tell what you are referring to.

Hey, sorry for the lack of information...
Here are the textures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UqCq1HLa1njYFXDVEyttJOQIvyPJ3Wsb/view?usp=sharing

And here is what I see in MCX:
http://prntscr.com/ilqrzk

My spec and bump textures look the same because in my asphalt textures there are bright stones that I want to be specular and the look like their above the sticky black "glue".

Country
us-texas
I don't think having the same specular and bump will work. I would at least "invert" the specular, and see what result that gives you.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Well,...

1st off,... the Bump maps were not created as bump maps. They must be converted to Normal maps and then converted (the switching of the RGB channels process, which can be done through MCX) to be used within P3D (assuming that this for P3D). To convert to a Normal map, will depend on what Photo Editor you are using. You might look at the wiki section on this site or look in the Resources section of this site.

Wiki section can be found here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Resources can be found here: https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/

The specular maps might need to be lighten up to give some form of shine before converting them to a dds file. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OK,
I created new spec and bump textures with no luck regarding my issue. I still get this wierd light orientation issue... After I removed the bump textures, everything looks good. What am I doing wrong with the bump? Can the cause for this be the slightly different UVW mapping of the edges textures?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
To assist you better,... it would help, if you tell us how you created the Bump Map (hopefully with pictures of what you came up with,...), don't worry about the specular map for right now,...

Country
us-texas
Just FYI if you have the photoshop nvdia plug in, there is no need for image tool. You can manually edit the color channels to the native FS "coding" per the first image on the thread mjahn provided.

David

Hey,
It worked, partly... Now the colors match but the edges texture and the main texture still have differences. You can see that the edges texture is more "crowded" than the main one:
ov4BHKJ.jpg

What can cause this issue?

D

Deleted member 1281

Something in the texture itself or the mapping.

D

Deleted member 1281

Don't have SU. Why don't you inspect the mdl in MCX using the checkerboard texture display. If the sections are scaled differently (as I suspect) it will show.

Anyway, better remap all sections in one go taking care the mapping is flat, proportional, properly aligned etc. Adjustments like these are often necessary.

If all else fails export via MCX to 3ds, zip it up, include the FSX textures (not the originals) and attach HERE (I get no access on your Google drive).

OK.
I checked the object with the checkerboard display. Indeed, the textures mapping is a bit different.
The edges texture is 1024X4096 and the main texture is 4096X4096. How can I make the mapping the same, when one texture's width is 1/4 of the other?

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
It's not about the dimensions of the texture. It's about how much distance each pixel in the texture covers. Those values have to be the same for both textures. It looks to me like the edge texture is covering less distance per pixel than your main texture is. In SU you can control this by clicking on the Materials, edit tab. In the Texture area you set the dimensions that each texture will cover.

The sizes are set in SU, but I used a plugin to map the textures. Both textures have the same proportions. The 4096 X 4096 is 10X10 meters and the 1024X4096 is 2.5X10 meters..

D

Deleted member 1281

Mainly it's the usual process of trial and error.

That said, I'd advise you to reconsider your texturing strategy. Those two 4096 sheets take up an awful amount of memory, and this is compounded by the spec and (especially) the bump, and all for, begging your pardon, a bit of pebbledash effect. First off, map all objects to one sheet, that makes the scaling much easier. Second, check the concept of 'repeated texture tiling', which can save you oodles of space, third, note that not all textures have to be the same baseline size, so theoretically the bump effect could be a 1024x1024 affair (with just a bit of noise added), and the spec, if needed at all, could be covered by a default setting. I don't do airfields, but at a provocative guess I would say that the effect you show in your last pic can be done at 1024x1024 with hardly a difference in quality. But I am sure the dedicated airfield designers here can give you more tips on this.