• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 C_Wheel Nightmare...

Country
us-arizona
Just spent last night and this morning redoing and redoing the c_wheel on a float plane. 2 front tires... No matter what I do, they will not work right. I tried reversing them to opposite sides, one turns inside, one turns outside.. I redo the one to animate in the opposite direction... to no effect... sigh..

I redid the part that is the front nose gear. That wasnt it. I created a small cube to be the turning part (c_wheel) on the assembly (the part having issues). That made no difference. (I did this first, in fact, thinking the part was bad, so I made a box and used that).

I have everything rescaled... I have reset their animations a couple of times.

The parts (floats and landing gear, but not the tires) are from an old project (Kodiak) and the other parts (except the water rudder) are running fine. (I just remembered, I think I need to enter a water rudder entry in the aircraft.cfg).

But what... in... the... world????? Why wont this dang thing work? Could it be that V4 has an issue with c_wheel with 2 front wheels? Suspension is working fine. Just not with 'c_wheel'...

Animated 0-200 KF's. I redid the animation 3 times. I then got the DC3 from the SDK and I copied (duplicated, not copy/paste) the landing gear animation. That also didnt work.

Checked the SDK XML, 200 KF's... so no one has messed with the time line from years ago, heh heh...

Any idea's?

Country
us-arizona
Well, I tried linking everything to a dummy (box, not a pure dummy node). Didnt work.
I tried linking box links into the parts so that links went to links then to parts, so nothing touched each other.
I found that if I linked (Hierarchy) a part to another (through the linkage system, for lack of better term) that if I link it at point (keyframe) zero, that it didnt lose its gizmo angle, which it was doing if I linked it at KF 100. So that was a big find.

But... With all that amazing trouble shooting, Jerry rigging, years of knowledge in bending polygons with hyper colliders, mixing sub atomic particles with vertice matter, using gravity waves to enduce micro victory in animation issues... NOTHING WORKED!!! The dang thing still leans in the wrong ways and sometimes acts different on left to right.

Theory... V4 doesnt export this properly.

Country
us-arizona
Small side note. Parts originally designed in Gmax, imported through MCX to 2014 Max. But I linked parts from box to box; Part-box-Part-box, etc...

Also, I used my own tires, recreated the front gear arm. Made the overall node a box instead of the floats (this time).

No joy...

D

Deleted member 1281

For a nosegear assembly you need the c_wheel animation for steering (KF 0-200 [edited]), c_gear for retraction and suspension (0-200), and c_tire (0-100) for the rotation of the wheels. Is all of that set up and linked properly?

Why not merge in a working c_wheel assembly from an earlier project, align and attach (!) your new wheels to the old ones, element-pick the old mesh and delete it.

Just for laughs here is a working nosewheel assembly. Hang on ... here ya go https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwjo1l8n7u3ihsb/cgear_setup.zip?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
At least on my machine, the c_wheel animation must be KF 100-200, just like the suspension.

D

Deleted member 1281

You are perfectly right, Tom, it's 0-200 for c_wheel. It's actually what I have in the sample setup I posted.

Country
us-arizona
Dang.......! I'll try that. I thought the rotation was 100-200, not 0-200. The DC3 was 0-200 and that's a tail wheel.

Many thanks...

Country
us-arizona
I'll try that too Bill.

Tom, Manfred, the first didnt work. Turned one way, but not the other. Makes left turns just fine.

D

Deleted member 1281

That's odd. You mean my assembly as posted doesn't work either when you import/export it? Inconceivable :) . How about importing one of your own tried and tested sets of wheels, e.g. the Learjet's - that worked alright didn't it? Maybe there's an off chance that your contact points might have gone awry, seeing that it's a float plane ... perhaps try it as a non-floater, or post a copy of the [contact points] section. Two wheels or one or three or four shouldn't make any difference really, because you would just link all of them (unanimated) to the single (animated) vertical axis that determines steering. Same as for the animated horizontal axle that holds the unanimated wheels amd makes them revolve forward or backwards.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Make sure you are using at least 4 internal keyframes in the rotation animation (a total of at least 6 KF).

Country
us-arizona
Just went to try this, already tried it. Saved with 6 animation KF points.

Didnt work. Must be a SDK issue. Using the V4.3 SDK. I might post this in the DEV center there. The DC3 doesnt use this many points. so... must be the exporter.

Country
indonesia
this what I did:
KF = 0 is facing front
KF = 50 is facing right ( 90 degree right)
KF = 150 is facing left ( 90 degree left)
KF = 200 is facing front

add note:
if you have parent-child model animation, hope you doesn't mess up with rotation alignment, parents-child must have same alignment to make parent-child animation work as intended

Country
us-arizona
WORKED!!!

Many thanks, Kalong! Very grateful. I moved the slider points (animation stop points) around, deleted a couple, so they matched yours, exported, and works brilliant.

Saving this to my notes.