• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CAB file creators

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Simple Q guys , Ive a cab file that's possibly going to need a file edited - I understand I can use some of the off shelf packages to extract the whole file to a temp folder and then overwrite the file that there is an update for saving it into the temp folder. Is there something out there that can then be SIMPLY (note the term as Im old and forget my name these days) be used like 7-zip of win zipish where I just create a new cab file from the content of the temp folder? Ive looked across forums and cannot actually find a simple application most to the greater degree go down the road of CMD line and to be quite honest whilst IM happy in there I'd rather just have a small application which I can jump in and out of as the new planted file may have to be tested and corrected numerous times at worse scenario.

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
There's a program for this included in the SDK called cabdir.exe. Just drag the folder onto the exe and it will create a cab file out of it. You also do not need to have it in cab file, FS can read xml gauges directly from a folder too.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
This ^^^^, especially the mention of leaving them in a ..\folder until you are finished testing! You can leave them un-cabbed in the aircraft's ..\panel folder, or as mentioned simply drag-n-drop the gauge folder on cabdir.exe when done testing/editing.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
FANTASTIC guys

thank you!!!!

Didnt know about the SDK - never used it although it sits on my FSX folder gathering dust - will look there this weekend

The fact of leaving them "Uncab'ed" is really is great in te panel folder - never ever knew that

Turbo and Bill I doff my proverbial hat to you both in gratitude

G

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Just some feedback on the advice here - worked a treat . now have a OH panel with taxi light buttons that light up, split out taxi and gound and the advice on leaving the files just in the folder during testing for speed ............................... priceless!

Now learning more on XML for other functional panel tools

thanks again guys

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
For freeware projects I never bother putting the files into a CAB anymore; I just release them in the folder.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
That was spooky was going to ask that exact same question today because Ive made / adapted what I have here really to learn a little and to reap some form of achievement of getting some cockpit tools Id really use - The necessity of CAB'ing was that question. lol. No chance you know the winning lottery numbers is there???

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Of course I do, but why should I tell anyone else? :)

Glad to help,