• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can CGL asset group be added to an existing project using the Inspector?

Country
australia
I have tried using the Inspector to add asset group CGL and tried many places to add my aerial_images folder and CGLBuilderConfig.xml and cannot get a build without error.

Firstly I note using the inspector to add the asset group results in the following folder structure (in PackageSources)
CGLs
Sechelt (the name of my airport)
Sechelt_Shoreline (the name I gave to the asset group)

I added the aerial_images folder and the CGLBuilderConfig.xml to the Sechelt_Shoreline folder

Yet in the sample SimpleAerial the folder structure is (in PackageSources) CGL (there is no 's') followed by (folder) aerial_images and the CGLBuilderConfig.xml

Isn't it possible to add the CGL asset group using the Inspector? Do I need to do it manually (including adding it to the xml in PackageDefinations)?

I also note that the cgl in PackageDefinations in the simpleaerial has ContentType>MISC whereas my package has it as Scenery Is that a problem?

The build error I am now getting is -

ERROR build package : create_directory: The system cannot find the path specified.: "H:\ADEprojects\CAX3-F20-SDS-v3\Packages\cax3-sechelt\CGLs\sechelt\sechelt_shoreline\" (H:\ADEprojects\CAX3-F20-SDS-v3\Packages\cax3-sechelt\CGLs\sechelt\sechelt_shoreline\)

Last edited:
In your PackageDefinitions folder, you need to edit the XML:
Untitled.png

The OutputDir must be only CGL\

So their wizard is close to OK, excepting the where the compiled aerials go. The Virtual File System apparently needs all the compiled CGL to go into a folder named CGL?

The aerials won't show unless they are compiled and placed in Community. So when developing the aerials, you're better off making them as their own package first, compiling and adding to Community, then work on your airport in Devmode with the aerial changes present. When your package is complete, you can alter your definition XML to add the aerial asset group, and then recompile the whole mess.

Last edited:
Thanks Dick but I have the follow9ing in the PackageDefinitions xml
<AssetGroup Name="sechelt_shoreline">
<Type>CGL</Type>
<Flags>
<FSXCompatibility>false</FSXCompatibility>
</Flags>
<AssetDir>PackageSources\CGLs\sechelt\sechelt_shoreline\</AssetDir>
<OutputDir>CGLs\sechelt\sechelt_shoreline\</OutputDir>
</AssetGroup>

I wonder why thought that the Inspector created the 'top' directory name as CGLs in the PackageSources folder. A bug maybe? I will try renaming it to CGL later when I get home.
eg
PackageSources
CGLs
sechelt
sechelt_shoreline
I added in this folder - copying from the SimpleAerial sample
aerial_images
CGLBuilderConfig.xml

<Type>CGL</Type>
<Flags>
</Flags>
<OutputDir>CGL\</OutputDir>
</AssetGroup>

Thanks Dick. I wonder why Inspector updated the PackageDefinitions xml file incorrectly to Add Asset Group then choose Custom then chose CGL and filled in the name etc. That's annoying.

Well using a backup of my project (before CGL) I went though the process again as follows

2_add_cgl.jpg1_add_cgl.jpg

3_add_cgl.jpg

And here is the xml file (note <OutputDir> is CGLs\... and not CGL\... as you indicated in your last reply.
<Type>CGL</Type>
<Flags>
</Flags>
<OutputDir>CGLs\sechelt\sechelt_shoreline\</OutputDir>
</AssetGroup>

What did I do wrong (to result in CGLs)?

I then manually modified mthe xml to <OutputDir>CGL\sechelt\sechelt_shoreline\</OutputDir>
BUT the build still results in the same error.

Do I now need to MANUALLY add folder CGL (to PackageSources) and any sub folders and folder aerial_images and CGLBuilderConfig.xml Sorry I am no good at guessing.

Are there known issues using the Inspector to add a CGL asset group?

It seems perhaps I would have been quicker to use the (samples) SimpleAerial and manually modifying my package.

[added later] I changed all CGLs (filenames and in the xml) the n build error couldn't find the 'builder' (xml, so added it and the aerial-images folder.
Still no good.

I have now come to the conclusion that NO, you cannot add a CGL asset group (successfully/without a lot of manual intervention) using the Inspector (add asset group) and so have decided to do it manually using the SimpleAerial sample
HOWEVER what is the work flow as all I can find in YouTube is the creation of an aerial images package and I have an airport package to which I want to add CGL aerial images? Or would I be better off having two packages, my airport and one just for aerial images?

Last edited:
I just build all packages separately because I don't work on them simultaneously anyway. For example I build a photo derived ground intentionally with building footprints so I have an idea where I want the building models to go and then later when everything is placed I will make a new photo ground with no clutter. So each package gets built up incrementally and when it's all done and I want to share it, I just put it all into one master project folder and edit the .xml's and .json's to reflect that.

Thanks Rick. You have heaps more experience than me. I wouldn't trust myself to edit .json files.

If I can verify that it is possible for an airport project to have a CGL asset group I will have a go at manually adding the relevant folder and files and adding the relevant lines for the CGL asset group to the PackageDefinitions .xml file as per the simpleaerial sample.

Thanks Rick. You have heaps more experience than me. I wouldn't trust myself to edit .json files.
My experience suggests I delegate the best discoveries to the brightest minds.

I have now come to the conclusion that NO, you cannot add a CGL asset group (successfully/without a lot of manual intervention) using the Inspector (add asset group) and so have decided to do it manually using the SimpleAerial sample
HOWEVER what is the work flow as all I can find in YouTube is the creation of an aerial images package and I have an airport package to which I want to add CGL aerial images? Or would I be better off having two packages, my airport and one just for aerial images?
You want your aerial project separate during the workflow. Devmode won't display the aerial imagery unless it is compiled and in the Community folder. You don't want your airport scenery in Community, as it interferes with Devmode's workflow. So it makes sense to have 2 separate projects while developing. You can combine the 2 projects when the the development is done, and make a compilation with the packagetool... or just have 2 packages, which might be the better solution.

Using the SimpleAerial from the SDK as a template is a good idea. You can copy it to the desktop, then load that into the Devmode. In Devmode, you can edit everything, even the name, and 'Save As' to your project's location. The end result is a correct project structure and XMLs at the location of your choice. And the output is "CGL\" as it's supposed to be, and it includes the CGLBuilderConfig.xml in the project.

So it makes sense to have 2 separate projects while developing
You can combine the 2 projects when the the development is done, and make a compilation with the packagetool... or just have 2 packages, which might be the better solution.
Thanks Dick. I guess I was looking for the 'semi automated' process of using the Inspector to create the asset group in my scenery package. Maybe that's why I cannot find any youtube tutorials for creating CGL aerials using the Inspector (only ones showing using the SimpleAerial sample).

Question sirs,
i made a scenery and finished it.
I had a request to make aerial_images and i have make both to one scenery. But how you combine those scenery's and have i delete the grass poligons in the first one to see the aerial layout?

Devmode won't display the aerial imagery unless it is compiled and in the Community folder.
I noticed that you haven't had anyone reply. Firstly I am not exactly sure what you mean and am assuming you have ONE project containing BOTH your scenery and your aerial-images?
If that is correct then note what rk states (above) ie best to have aerial-images in one project.
Secondly, as Dick (rhumbaflappy) states, Devmode will not display aerial images and so you will need to build the project and copy the package produced to the community folder and then restart MSFS to see it.

Back