• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can I add an image into ADE as a texture?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi this question has probably been asked a million times, so if it is tutorial on another post please link me there.

All I would like to do is convert an image to a texture and place it on my airport.

I have watched a few videos, but they are all for FSX. (I use P3DV4.4)

I have photoshop, ade, SketchUp and modelconverterX

The image in photoshop (.tiff as it has the highest quality?)
tiffimage.JPG

What do I need to do next to get this as a texture? Do I need to convert it to an MDL, BGL, DDS?

Thanks, Ollie

Country
unitedkingdom
Right so I have successfully converted this into an MDL, and it displays in MCX
mdl.JPG

But when I load into the sim the texture is black... I have already converted the texture into the power of 2 as a dxtbmp.

Any ideas?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Have you placed the converted texture into the TEXTURE folder that is adjoining the SCENERY folder containing the BGL file for this object?

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes, I have placed "material_2.bmp" in the Texture folder. Also, should this object be a BGL or a MDL?- both I can view (with the textures working) in MCX.

-Thanks, Ollie

Also, if you would like here is the .zip for the airport.

Attachments

• Southdown Gliding Club.zip
    1 MB · Views: 120

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It must be a BGL file. If you have no other way of adding this MDL file to the sim, you can use the Convert and Place wizard in ModelConverterX to place it into the sim. Or you can add the MDL file to the airport using ADE, if that is more convenient.

Country
unitedkingdom
I think "Or you can add the MDL file to the airport using ADE if that is more convenient. " should be easier I will try it out.

Country
unitedkingdom
Ok, I have done it as a BGL, I needed to put the converted textures and bgl into P3D's own scenery and texture folders, not the ones in the Southdown folder :D