• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

can one generate AI at a custom airport?

I ask this question because my custom airport KGVA has over 200 parking spots not including GA :) I have been using AI Flight Planner and that has been going well so far. I have only created about 36 flight plans and obviously would need to create many many more to fill to desired amount (not looking for 100% but 80% would be nice) I want a constant flow of AI in and out. I looked into Traffic toolbox SDK but it warned against adding airports as its meant to change or subtract airports. Is there a program that could auto-generate flightplans so I dont have to create approx 300 flight plans?

I ask this question because my custom airport KGVA has over 200 parking spots not including GA :) I have been using AI Flight Planner and that has been going well so far. I have only created about 36 flight plans and obviously would need to create many many more to fill to desired amount (not looking for 100% but 80% would be nice) I want a constant flow of AI in and out. I looked into Traffic toolbox SDK but it warned against adding airports as its meant to change or subtract airports. Is there a program that could auto-generate flightplans so I dont have to create approx 300 flight plans?

I too would love to know this answer.... Maybe a new program for some of our amazing coders out there.... If not already something... This would be an amazing program for airport developers.

As I would do it (if I still coded): Program would read the airport in question for needed information (rwy lengths, widths, tower/no tower, parking spaces, types, etc.....) then it would ask what type of traffic you want. Airliners (regional flights, mid-range, trans-continental, world wide, etc..,) GA, Military, etc.... Then it would scan airport database for airports at various radius's. It would ask how many of each type of flights you want per day, any particular airlines you want, number or % of those, and then compile the new list. It would then show the incoming and departure information on a screen like a real world airport would have. Ask user if ok, any changes, (allow manual changes) and then make final compile and save.

That would kick ass!!!!!

- Greg

I quit coding years ago when basic went out of style..hehe I have in the past and still do for a few companies do free-lance design layouts.. I come up with the way a program / game should work, options, layouts, and then someone that knows what they are doing codes it. So if anyone is interested, let me know...

Greg

Sounds to me like you are just the man for the job. Go for it.

b_spanjer

In AIFP it is possible to make a plan ,then open it in note pad, make changes to it, etc., so you don't have to rewrite the entire plan each time. You can make several plans quickly.

Bob

Greg

Sounds to me like you are just the man for the job. Go for it.

b_spanjer

In AIFP it is possible to make a plan ,then open it in note pad, make changes to it, etc., so you don't have to rewrite the entire plan each time. You can make several plans quickly.

Bob

I use AIFP...great program...but the point of the post was something that will populate an entire airport with maybe 100's of flights a day in and out without having to code every flight, every leg.....by hand. AIFP requires you do each, one at a time.

As I stated above... I don't program. I am the idea man. I am the guy that says this is what it should do, now change this to this, make it look this way, etc.... Unless I can write it in TI Extended Basic, I aint the one gonna code it.

- Greg

Aisort

The version 1.0.50 of Aisort (Vb6) Has the ability to generate Auto traffiffic using TrafficDadabaseBuilder by selecting the airports and the aircraft for daily flights.
I am working on having Aisort 2.0.xx (Microsoft net 3.5) doing the same thing when I can Get my mind around some of the coding.
Regards Frank

My Apologies the version is 1.3.0.9 but I believe it was lost in the hacking of Avsim.

Last edited:
With the World of AI installer you can batch import a whole number of flightplans and aircraft. That is quick and easy and is based on real life traffic.
The only thing you would have to do afterwards is convert the FP's to FSX traffic using AIFP and that is done in a jiffy.

Roby

With the World of AI installer you can batch import a whole number of flightplans and aircraft. That is quick and easy and is based on real life traffic.
The only thing you would have to do afterwards is convert the FP's to FSX traffic using AIFP and that is done in a jiffy.

Roby

Roby, does that allow you to set the main airport though? That's the kicker in all this...you have to be able to do it for any airport you choose....even a new made up fake non-existent airport. :)

Or a modified one.. There is NO flight plans for NKL... It exists in FS, but I have turned it into a major international airport and hub for my VA.. I want to populate the hell out of it.

I mean, I guess you could get a flight plan from somewhere with many flights and change the starting airport...but that could really mess up times and such if you don't use one that is very close to your airport...

- Greg

It was designed for FS-2004, but you can use TTools for this. A custom FS-2004 airport I made had so much traffic that the pattern was always packed, so that it was hard to land or take off!

I used it again in FSX, but I found that on my old computer, if I put traffic at custom fields the framerates would just chug!

It was designed for FS-2004, but you can use TTools for this. A custom FS-2004 airport I made had so much traffic that the pattern was always packed, so that it was hard to land or take off!

I used it again in FSX, but I found that on my old computer, if I put traffic at custom fields the framerates would just chug!

I hate ttools when it comes to anything fsx.... I don't care if you can convert it...

On the other hand....where do these flight plans come from??? How do you deal with times being wrong if they are made for other airports? Please explain these things if you would. Where do you find the plans? What do you do with them once you find them? How do you handle the time differences because of location change? What do you do once you have the plan as you want it?

I don't have time to play around with programs trying to figure them out anymore. My life has become so busy I can't even do much designing anymore... After 7 months of being able to design 10-18 hours a day every day....now I am lucky if I can find a couple hours a week...and even then, I am so tired now, I fire up ADE or FS...and usually just look at it, think about what I want to do, and then turn it off.. :(

Again, if creating the flightplans for 10-15 airlines, 20-60 flights per airline per day, then GA aircraft as well can't be automated...then it isn't worth it, currently, for me and probably a few others... I mean, if I have to get a flight plan from somewhere for another airport, and spend 20-30 minutes editing it for each airline, etc... that just simply aint happening....not at the moment anyways... Thus, the topic and idea for a totally automated system to create them for any given airport with maybe typing 30 keystrokes and clicking a few options.... :)

- Greg

ps: thanks if you detail the process I mentioned above....if not, I understand...

Flight Planning

I have used Excel for Flight Planning many times and had quite a lot of success with it. Originally I used it for FS9 but I cannot see why you cannot use it with FSX as well. I have attached a pic to show the Excel Sheet. It is easy to change the individual columns as you want. Then I join all the individual columns together in column R1 then copy and paste the values onto another sheet which is then copied into Notepad to produce the flight plans for TTools. On the sheet in question there are 684 different flight plans. There are airports that for FS9 that I designed myself from scratch.
Hope this helps.

John aka warmingham

Last edited:
AI auto-generation

As I write this I now have 150 plans created....maybe 150 to go :( It seems we need to come together and create a program that will handle this request, saving other people hours of flight plan creation. I dont code either so I wont be helpful there...sorry.

Pyscen

Resource contributor

Hello b_spanjer

You could use one other program called FSX GA-Traffic.. It can do more then just GA,... even Gate Traffic and also Within a certain country ( it can get tiresome)... It uses the aircraft that you have installed and you can even advise of new installed Airports...

I think it depends on what you are after. If you just want traffic( like I do) you could use a nearby airport as a feeder, and write plans that repeat and overlap often. That doesn't take long. Besides, it's fun, and there is nothing quick and easy about design. If you use some program to automate something, then it's not your work any more, is it. You can't have real traffic to an inhanced ( as in inlarged) or new airport, because there isn't any.

Bob

When I make a airport that has no traffic I keep it simple.

Copy about 200-300 FSX Flightplans (GA and Jets)
Change the departure airport to your new one
Change any plane AC# to your planes (except the GA)
Compile with TTools and it will set the correct arrival times based on speed and distance.

Do the same if you want Airlines that are not part of any schedule.

I do not convert flightplans to FSX. That's my personal preference since the only thing you loose is the animated carrier and large ships (cargo, ferry, crusie liners) on waterplans. I do update the new airport ICAO codes and days of the week. AIFPC does that with a single key stroke.

The TDBB FS compiler has been with us since FS2002 but no one ever used it (too many restrictions). Only when FSX was released the user seems to think all their FP's have to be FSX. I do not care about a moving Carrier or the large ships on a waterplan that I never see. Your goals maybe different.

SpectroPro

snip---

I hate ttools when it comes to anything fsx....

Greg, If you are not using UT II then what compiler are you using that is other then TTools.

Greg, If you are not using UT II then what compiler are you using that is other then TTools.

I use AIFP, and not sure if it uses TT engine or however that stuff works... but when I say I don't like TTools, I mean the program TTools that was for FS9.

- Greg

Greg

Look, I spelled your name correctly.

For once I agree with you. I used Ttools in FS9, and while it is still a great program, since I don't use FS9 any more, I don't use Ttools anymore. I don't use addon traffic files. I don't use many addon planes. I use repaints of default planes to get rid of default airlines. I don't use FS9 airliners unless I can alter the exit codes so that they use the jetways. I really like the moving jetways and vehicles. I make airports just for the fun of it. KBOB (Bob's Airport) is my main hub. How else could I have an airport named after me. And I have my own VA named after me. Not interested in developing for any one else(no one wants to see my lame airports.

Bob