Can one have 'Elements' sleep?

Hey guys,

A quick question.

I am making a MFD with 3 pop-up engine windows/screens. Each will have repiticious readouts and analog gauges. My thoughts are that this thing will be eating up some memory 'if' these various Elements are running in the background.

So.. My first question is, are the gauges 'all' running via taxing the system, even when not being shown? or are these not running when not shown. For instance, if the engine EICAS windows are closed down, but the MFD is running, are the EICAS gauges still taxing the system?

If so..... Can one write an XML that will shut them down when the pop-up is not up? Another words, have the EICAS system 'sleep' until in their pop-up mode and visible.

I am worried this could become a frame rates frankenstein.... (Its running quiet efficiently right now, but its not fitted with the EIAC's yet).

Thanks and cheers.

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
If they aren't visible; they aren't running. It's the drawing on-screen that's the framerate killer...;)

Cool! Thanks for the info.

I knew that the GPS was not running when it wasnt visible, but wasnt sure about a gauge that had a ton of gauges in it, how that would work.

Bill

taguilo

Resource contributor
Cool! Thanks for the info.

I knew that the GPS was not running when it wasnt visible, but wasnt sure about a gauge that had a ton of gauges in it, how that would work.

Bill
Actually once a panel window is displayed -main or auxiliary-. their gauges' code is always "running" (processed), no matter the window is visible or not.

Now, there are different situations and different parts of a gauge are also processed in a different way depending on whether the gauge is "visible" or not.

Anyway, and to make things easier, the straight point is, as Bill (n4gix) stated, no image element (bitmap,customdraw) is drawn on panel if it is <Hidden> or not <Visible>. And indeed this saves a lot of fps in most complex cases.

Tom