• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can the virtual cockpit be accessed in 3DS Max from 1 model ?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I wouldn't rate importing a fuselage and windows as outright rips, as long as these stay within the modeling tool and are only used for positioning the wipers before merging them with the actual model in ModelConverter.
Publishing such a modified model, however, is another question.

Ask Tom Ruth before you go hacking around with his model. No faster way to annoy a modeller unless he has explicitly released them for modification - that means the release is in writing and it will be your fault, and breach of copyright, otherwise.

Tom has disappeared like an U-Boat. Probably living a happy life away from flight simulation.

Country
us-newyork
Back to your question at the top.

For FS2004, you have two models; interior and exterior, both wrapped up into one. Just add them to the model you want, they are both there. But if you are only wanting them on one, and you have both models separated, then just go into the one you want.

For FSX, you have 2 models; interior and exterior. If you wanted wipers visible on the exterior model, then you have to add them to that model also. If you only want them on the interior model, then fine. But then you do not see them animating on the exterior.

You already have it in a 3d program. Just add it where you want and recompile it back to MDL format. Note that you need to animate all the other parts too. Its a big undertaking, but if you already have the source files, it is probably already animated. Gmax is ancient. Is this for FSX or FS2004?

This is for FS2004

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Now I have a question, can the virtual cockpit be accessed in 3DS max from the single model of the airplane like we can do in FS9/FSX cameras? How can I do that in 3DS max? Since it is embedded already in the model in the simulator.
This is a mistaken assumption. Models are not embedded, nor is any functionality of simulator camera positions in any way related to the ability to access a 3d model. You have already been explained by one of the most highly skilled if somewhat curmudgeonous 3ds Max airplane developers in the world and he has informed you that they are two separate models. This is a consequence of the FSX file conversion process, it makes it appear as if the models have been combined and that aspect of the conversion process is beyond the capabilities of 3ds Max.
You have to use FSX applicable software, like MCX for example, to separate the two models before you can access either in 3ds Max.

Ultimately, the procedure is so simple, it almost makes me cry. I presume 3ds Max has a provision to isolate or lock components, such that these components can be moved or manipulated in relation to other components, until the original component is in an exact orientation, at which point one is able to delete everything except for the locked and oriented component; if so, this will work.
Get your fuselage or cockpit or whatever you want to mount your wipers on into your workspace in 3ds Max. Fashion your wiper component in the position and orientation you want on the ripped model surface in 3ds Max. Animate your component now, or delete the ripped geometry and then animate the wiper component. Export the animated wiper component as a compiled FSX model. At this stage you are done using 3ds Max. Use MCX to combine the wiper model with an unedited version of the original model, compile to model, voila.

Country
us-newyork
This is a mistaken assumption. Models are not embedded, nor is any functionality of simulator camera positions in any way related to the ability to access a 3d model. You have already been explained by one of the most highly skilled if somewhat curmudgeonous 3ds Max airplane developers in the world and he has informed you that they are two separate models. This is a consequence of the FSX file conversion process, it makes it appear as if the models have been combined and that aspect of the conversion process is beyond the capabilities of 3ds Max.
You have to use FSX applicable software, like MCX for example, to separate the two models before you can access either in 3ds Max.

Ultimately, the procedure is so simple, it almost makes me cry. I presume 3ds Max has a provision to isolate or lock components, such that these components can be moved or manipulated in relation to other components, until the original component is in an exact orientation, at which point one is able to delete everything except for the locked and oriented component; if so, this will work.
Get your fuselage or cockpit or whatever you want to mount your wipers on into your workspace in 3ds Max. Fashion your wiper component in the position and orientation you want on the ripped model surface in 3ds Max. Animate your component now, or delete the ripped geometry and then animate the wiper component. Export the animated wiper component as a compiled FSX model. At this stage you are done using 3ds Max. Use MCX to combine the wiper model with an unedited version of the original model, compile to model, voila.

Yes. I have fashioned my wiper onto the model

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Yes, I think I spoke rashly and I'll confess FS9 is not my platform. The procedure itself is easily done, granted, but extending that into a flyable airplane will take some steps. Your biggest challenge, I believe, will be to compile the completed model to FS9 standard. If you are comfortable with that step, you are out of the woods and if you are not, I would start right now, before the wipers are even ready, make sure you can compile the A300 as it is. If you can't, you'll have to figure out how and for that the wipers won't help. Adding the wipers will be easy, there is a combine tool in MCX. You will already have oriented the wipers in accordance with the geometry in 3ds Max, so they will appear in exactly the place you intended.