• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Can you help me how can I exported my FSX modell?

Country
hungary
Hi everybody !
Thank you very much to the added me to the forum and the website ! :)
I have some question.
I make my first FSX MDl model because i really interested 3D modeling.
My first model is a Airbus A320neo. My problem when I exported the modell does not appear in FSX.
Can you help me how can I exported my FSX modell?
Or if you are not the problem: Can you write me how can make a FSX MDL modell ?

I use:
  • Adobe Photoshop CC
  • Autodesk 3DS MAX 2012 x64 and 3DS MAX 2010 x64 and 3DS MAX 2009 32bit
  • ModelConverter X 1.5
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK
  • Prepar3D SDK 1.4
  • Prepar3D v2 SDK 2.4
In my Airbus A320neo models I make in 3DS MAX 2012 x64. I've read many forums that this can be a problem. Because I know matter which version I am using 3DS Max.

Thank you in advance for your answer. Regards Hungary. :)

Attachments

• Airbus A320neo.jpg
    Airbus A320neo.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 6,462
Country
unitedstates
Always try exporting a simple box and see if it shows up. Then we can help pin point the issue!

If that works try exporting some of the model to find out which parts of the model may be an issue.

I can't imagine you made that entire model without testing it as you build it. If you got that model from the web it may have bugs. It's hard for me to believe you made that model and do not have the expertise to export without issues. That model looks like 4 month of work and was done by someone who has had years of practice but it does still need some details as i noticed the fuselage could use some smoothing effects so you do not see hard curves. But that is just my thought as i have been modeling for 10 years. Did you make this model?

Last edited:
Country
hungary
Hi delivery guy !

So I did export:
  • first: I export X and xanim file to Microsoft Games\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM2012\Plugins.
  • second : I make a bat file.
  • third: successful I make MDL file and I copy to my neo folder.
But If I open the FSX and to see the aircraft I does not appear in FSX. :(

delivery gus! Well the true story of a month ago I decided to do it at the Airbus A320neo. Because the Project Airbus is not yet done.
The fuselage, wings, horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer and sharklet the by Project Airbus.
I made the engines and neo livery.
Of course, if I managed to export into the FSX then I write an email to the Project Airbus.
And I asking for permission from them to I upload them to the Internet. Example AVSIM Library.:)

Country
unitedstates
Did you manage to get a simple box to show up in FSX? I don't use prepar SDK's so not sure on what could be wrong. Are you using a tutorial for exporting using that SDK?

I figured you had got that model from somewhere and it may be inside out or have bugs and this is why your having issues. Try that box!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Make certain that you have all the required folders and files for an aircraft, otherwise your exported .mdl will not appear in FSX/P3D at all.

Country
unitedkingdom
Have you tried replacing an existing stock aircraft's model with your model. The .MDL file is just the graphical representation of the aircraft, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Airbus_A321\Model\Airbus_A321.MDL". If everything else is in unchanged, then you should see something as long as the model isn't too big or too small. BTW I also agree with the above, start with a simple box, 5mx5mx5m in size, if that works then add some animation and then add some textures. It's not worth doing anything more until the basics are done.

Country
us-arizona
Make sure your plane is in the center of your 'Scene' when you export, and that the plane is to exact scale. Then export.

Sometimes a plane out of scale is as big as a building, and if so, you will probably only see the inside, etc. Also, if the plane is 20 or 50 or 100 feet off center, then the plane is up in the sky or down in the ground or 100 feet behind the view spot. So make sure its centered and scaled properly.

Country
unitedstates
My first aircraft test i ever did in the sim was so big it had 1 wheel at SFO and the other wheel at OAK, lol

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I think most of us have done that at least once. My first compile of my freeware TB20GT for FS8 was "Jupiter scaled" with about a 4 kilometer wingspan... :rotfl:

I am too in a bit of a muddle with this. I have been forced from Gmax due to it not working in windows 10, and I have tried my first export with 3dsmax. I am using the P3dv3 SDK, and tried to export a simple box of 5m. The resulting model is 29K in size so it has some content, but when I replace the stock Cessna MDL with mine, nothing shows up in the sim, and I get a warning no model can be displayed. I suspect my issue is how it is converted from X to MDL but I have no idea why

Country
unitedstates
Could be that you need to xform the box. Depending on if you scaled the box from the scale tool. This only changes the scale but not the bounding box for this part. If you change the dimensions of the box from the settings then you might be ok but best to xform all parts.

its obviously an Xto Mdl issue. I have no idea what though. If I import my X file into Modelconvertorx it shows, and if I then export from modelconvertorx it shows in FSX, but if I convert using XtoMDL is doesn't work
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Country
us-texas
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that Gmax doesn't work in 10? I have it on my system running 10, and it starts up just fine . . .

on my system the material editor will not load. If I try to open it, the program just hangs. I have switched to 3DSmax 12 and the above advice has now worked, so I can now export models

Country
us-texas
on my system the material editor will not load. If I try to open it, the program just hangs. I have switched to 3DSmax 12 and the above advice has now worked, so I can now export models

Hmm. Just tried it myself, and the material editor works fine as well as the rest of the program (from what I can tell). Haven't tried exporting from Gmax so I can't tell you that it definitively works. However, since you're working with 3DS Max now, you should probably stick with that.

Country
indonesia
Hi everybody !
Thank you very much to the added me to the forum and the website ! :)
I have some question.
I make my first FSX MDl model because i really interested 3D modeling.
My first model is a Airbus A320neo. My problem when I exported the modell does not appear in FSX.
Can you help me how can I exported my FSX modell?
Or if you are not the problem: Can you write me how can make a FSX MDL modell ?

I use:
  • Adobe Photoshop CC
  • Autodesk 3DS MAX 2012 x64 and 3DS MAX 2010 x64 and 3DS MAX 2009 32bit
  • ModelConverter X 1.5
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK
  • Prepar3D SDK 1.4
  • Prepar3D v2 SDK 2.4
First thing first, after success compile from x and xanim became mdl try open it using model converter.
If good looking as you want then insert it in sim.

If in sim didn't show your aircraft. Make or copy folder from default aircraft. Placed you mdl aircraft in model folder. DON'T forget to update exterior and interior = name same as with your aircraft model name. That for step in this case.

Note : if you copy aircraft model from default dont forget too for change name in aircraft.cfg in section [flight.xx] so your aircraft name not double with aircraft you copy from.

Country
hungary
Hi everybody !
After Very lot of reading,learning and tutorials.
Final i successfully export my first FSX MDL model.
The all aircraft models I make.
The next is texture and after the next is the animations.
After I DONE all model.
I did't no When will it be available my first FSX model.
By the way will available for free.
Thanks for the good lot of advice here. :wave:;):)
GhL71N7.jpg

2016-4-7_22-2-28-393.jpg
2016-4-7_22-5-39-915.jpg 2016-4-7_22-10-43-765.jpg
Regards Hungary. :):):):):)

Attachments

• Airbus_A320neo_first_takeoff_at_Toulouse_Blagnac_Airport_04.jpg
    Airbus_A320neo_first_takeoff_at_Toulouse_Blagnac_Airport_04.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 996