• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can You Import A P3D Scene Into ADE For Editing?

Country
unitedstates
Quick question, I checked the forums first to see if anyone had asked this, and I didn't see anything. I have a client who wants me to take scene from P3D (the Scenery and Texture folders) and import it into ADE. My question is, can I import everything at once and have it all appear where they need to, or do I manually need to import each object, one at a time?

Thanks in advance!

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I am not sure what you mean by scene? a bgl file or something else. ADE does not handle textures itself so you can't import them As to scenery files (bgl file) some contain information that ADE can read others such as CVX files cannot. A partial load of an existing scenery can be done by first finding and adding the file containing the airport and then use the import function to try and get more. So you are not going to get a import everything at once but rather manual import.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The other thing to do is use Tools/Library Object Manager to add in all the scenery library BGLs (if any) so the black boxes go away in the ADE display.

Country
unitedstates
The other thing to do is use Tools/Library Object Manager to add in all the scenery library BGLs (if any) so the black boxes go away in the ADE display.
I don't have the project file, so I'm starting from scratch in a way.

So I just need a way to import the objects where they were located when they were compiled into the Scenery folder, so I don't have to place every object by hand. Would be even better if I could do this in bulk, but I'm willing to do it one BGL at a time. Can I merge all the BGL files and import them at once? I saw some people mentioning converting them to mdl with Library Creator XML.

I'm seeing a lot of different ideas for how to do this, but I'm a little lost. Would love a bit of direction if you have any. :)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
We are in danger o going in circles. You could help us help you by zipping the P3D folder containing the scenery and texture folders and attaching it to a post here. If it is too big with the textures then you can leave them out since

At least we will then have what you want to load into ADE and we have a better chance of understanding things

Country
unitedstates
Hi there, I can attach the scenery folder. The folders I am working with are just the basic folders you get from a compiled scene, I just was not provided with an ADE project file. I am trying to import scenery objects for Daytona Beach Airport, Florida without having to position each object at a time. Here's a link to it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c2ATRzMQfZlHr61XtbMKhxuH0cWgMjZu/view?usp=sharing

I really appreciate all your help and I don't take it for granted. :D

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - this will take a little while. I see that the main tool used to create this is AFX.

There are over 100 files including numerous airport facilities files (AFX)

Can you confirm which ICAO are you trying to process?

Country
unitedstates
OK - this will take a little while. I see that the main tool used to create this is AFX.

There are over 100 files including numerous airport facilities files (AFX)

Can you confirm which ICAO are you trying to process?
Okay, that's good to know. I was handed off these files by another dev and I was not told they used AFX. So that's good to know, thanks. :)
The ICAO for Daytona Beach Airport is KDAB.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The files in your folder are certainly not P3D. Some versions of P3D may be able to load some or all of the files. I recall that you wanted to get ADE for P3D v5 So I want to confirm your objectives here.

Is the target for your work P3D v5 or some other version of P3D?
Is your goal to load scenery objects only into the default P3D airport? Be aware that ADE works only with airports so there must be an airport in the project. It is possible to effectively delete everything about the airport so that only scenery objects appear.

There are 33 of these files which appear to be for KDAB. Some of the others may be used by KDAB but not named with that ident. In most cases the files are well named and we have the following

1682937151847.png

This appears to contain four exclusion rectangles which exclude extrusion bridges.

1682937323542.png

This is the airport facilities file and would be the file to start an ADE project for the work. It contains a lot of exclusion rectangles which I assume exclude the base stock airport. Again note that P3D v4 and up moved and changed stock object placement so getting rid of the stock ones is difficult. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...lier-project-files-to-use-with-p3d-v5.447641/

1682937683432.png

1682938245207.png

These look like files which ADE won't read or will not read properly. CVX Landclass is not understood by ADE so cannot be decompiled. It may well be that there are an AFX fudge since it does not support certain things

1682937886985.png

AFX fudges?

1682938064058.png

1682938448201.png

These contain model files. Seems like one model per file. Library bgl files should probably be loaded into the ADE Library object manager so they can be identified

1682938496082.png

These contain placement data. Identifies the placement of specific objects. They generally do not contain actual models. These are the file you probably want to carry out the placement of scenery objects

Personally I would create an ADE project with the main airport bgl file and import things like exclusion and placement into the project and libraries into the LOM. This may not get you where you want to go but its what I would do to see if I can pull something out of this.

Country
unitedstates
The files in your folder are certainly not P3D. Some versions of P3D may be able to load some or all of the files. I recall that you wanted to get ADE for P3D v5 So I want to confirm your objectives here.

Is the target for your work P3D v5 or some other version of P3D?
Is your goal to load scenery objects only into the default P3D airport? Be aware that ADE works only with airports so there must be an airport in the project. It is possible to effectively delete everything about the airport so that only scenery objects appear.

There are 33 of these files which appear to be for KDAB. Some of the others may be used by KDAB but not named with that ident. In most cases the files are well named and we have the following

View attachment 87945
This appears to contain four exclusion rectangles which exclude extrusion bridges.

View attachment 87946
This is the airport facilities file and would be the file to start an ADE project for the work. It contains a lot of exclusion rectangles which I assume exclude the base stock airport. Again note that P3D v4 and up moved and changed stock object placement so getting rid of the stock ones is difficult. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...lier-project-files-to-use-with-p3d-v5.447641/

View attachment 87947

View attachment 87950

These look like files which ADE won't read or will not read properly. CVX Landclass is not understood by ADE so cannot be decompiled. It may well be that there are an AFX fudge since it does not support certain things

View attachment 87948

AFX fudges?

View attachment 87949

View attachment 87951

These contain model files. Seems like one model per file. Library bgl files should probably be loaded into the ADE Library object manager so they can be identified

View attachment 87952

These contain placement data. Identifies the placement of specific objects. They generally do not contain actual models. These are the file you probably want to carry out the placement of scenery objects

Personally I would create an ADE project with the main airport bgl file and import things like exclusion and placement into the project and libraries into the LOM. This may not get you where you want to go but its what I would do to see if I can pull something out of this.
I really appreciate you going above and beyond on this. Yes, the goal is that this will end up as a P3D 5 map.
As for the placement data, does this mean when I import the objects into my ADE scene, they will appear where they did in the original scene or are there more steps I need to take to make them import in their correct position?

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Because this package contains multiple custom photo-real imagery land class BGLs that typically are made semi-automatically by either of several (precise) FS utilities, the Geographic coordinates for imagery placement are very likely to be correct to IRL.

P3Dv5 (in the US at least), is more likely to be correct to IRL than P3Dv4 and FS2Kx, so this scenery is probably aligned to IRL.

Also, the Ground Polygons (aka "G-Polys" or "GP's") will also be positioned correctly in order to align with the underlying custom photo-real imagery land class BGLs.

The (3) CVX vector BGLs are easily recreated, but there is a way to decompile / edit / recompile those in CvxExtractor / SBuilderX.

Thus any objects that were placed by AFX and/or Instant Scenery and/or another FS scenery utility will be positioned correctly in order to align with the underlying custom photo-real imagery land class and G-Poly BGLs.

Be aware that this will likely work out quite well in P3Dv5 (in the USA, at least), as LM upgraded most- if not all- of the CVX vector land class scenery object positioning via licensing / derivation of more accurate GIS data sources for P3Dv5.

BTW: What exactly is your goal in making this scenery available for editing in a ADE project file format ?

Is it to switch to newer custom 3D models and/or G-Poly file types, or to replace default objects that are older FS2Kx objects that are no longer available in the default scenery libraries of P3Dv5 ?

Is it to switch to newer custom G-Poly file types to take advantage of newer P3D MDL display attributes ?

If so, that is IMHO likely going to be easier to do in Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") Ground Polygon Wizard, as the ADE GP-Editor may not be further developed in the future due to the passing of the author of its core engine.

You will likely find that the G-Poly BGL files already open directly into Arno's MCX Ground Polygon Wizard.

The G-Polys are legacy type SCASM / ASM, but AFAIK, they also will still be displayed in P3Dv5.

Personally, I would recommend not merging the scenery object libraries; 300+ objects in (1) library is already a substantial size.

The placement BGLs certainly could be consolidated via simple XML edits in NotePad++, then re-compiled via SDK BGLComp.

You should be aware that this scenery quite likely will display with very few- if any- anomalies in P3Dv5 ...as it did in FSX.

Have you actually loaded this scenery in a pre-version 5 installation of P3D yet ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
My client tasked me with taking these source files and importing them into ADE to make further changes to the scene.

Okay, it seems like I should just take a shot at putting this together, see what I can import, see what needs to be manually placed and so on.

Thanks for all the information you all have given me. I will let you know if I run into anything else. :)

Country
us-illinois
PS: Custom 3D objects do not have thumbnails in ADE as they are not default objects (...which already have thumbnails in ADE).

Those can be made using a MCX utility feature:. ;)

See: ModelConverterX.pdf in the MCX install folder - Section 6.15 Generate object image

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/modelconverterx.87/

https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

Once they are made using MCX, then you can add them to ADE's LOM.

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive...2964-how-do-i-add-a-big-thumbnail-pack-to-ade

[EDITED]

FYI: The thumbnail size in Pixels for MCX' [object GUID].JPG images matching those known to work in ADE v1.79 is 96 x 96 Pixels.

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi there, I was able to import all of the objects in the scenery folder by just adding each BGL at a time and everything imported in the right areas. :D
Only thing I have to ask next is what do I do with the "Textures" folder? I'm kind of new with ADE, but not 3D modeling. Did the BGLs automatically import with these textures when I imported the BGL or do I need to manually import these .agn and .dds textures?

Country
unitedkingdom
ADE has no use for the textures; they are required for the models to display in P3D. When you share the project with your customer, he or she will need both the scenery and texture folders for the airport to work in the sim.

Country
us-illinois
Have you actually loaded this scenery in a pre-version 5 installation of P3D yet ? :scratchch

GaryGB

If you have a working installation of P3D, have you added the original scenery package to P3D in order to be displayed ?

If so, please tell us which method you used to add this scenery package to P3D for display:

* Add-on XML

...or:

* Scenery Library GUI

GaryGB

Country
unitedstates
I will be sending the compiled scene back to my client who owns a copy of Prepar3d and will be testing the scene.

My job is to import the Scenery and Texture folders they provided me into ADE, make some changes, then compile it again for my client to test in P3D.
So far, I have successfuly imported all of the Scenery BGL files into ADE.
However, I don't know what to do with the texture files. Are you saying I don't have to import them into ADE and I can just provide them alongside the newly compiled Scenery folder and everything will work? I would expect that you would have to link the textures up in ADE, I just can't find a lot online on this.

Thanks again for your help.

Country
unitedkingdom
You can’t view the objects in a project in ADE, so it has no use for the textures. ADE essentially is a tool for placing objects, not displaying them. However, P3D must have the textures in order to display the objects. So your compiled ADEP5, obj and CVX files from ADE tell P3D where the airfield surfaces and objects go, and the texture folder contains the textures P3D needs to ‘clothe’ the objects you’ve included.

Importing the object bgls into ADE obviates the need for libraries, as the files ADE compiles will include those objects. That’s fine if the objects are unique to this project, but if they are used in multiple projects this is an inefficient way of storing them as each project would need its own copies of the objects. Using libraries allows multiple projects to use the same objects, with ADE simply giving placement info in its compiled obj file. However, if this is a one-off, that probably isn’t an issue.