• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Cannot export P3D4 MDL or BGL

Country
norway
OK now I'm baffled. I just can't get McX to export a FSX type library as P3D4 bgl, or export a simple MDL from the library as P3D4 mdl. All the paths are correct. The P3D4 bglcomp works like a charm with ADE. If I choose to export as FSX bgl, it works.

A friend of mine has no problem exporting the same library as P3D4 bgl. We both use Win10/P3D4. I am now using the Hotfix Client, Content and SDK.

Here's the McX log:

13:37 BGLXReader Information Starting reading of file D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\enat_lib.BGL
13:37 BGLXReader Information Starting reading of object 1
13:37 BGLXReader Information Finished reading of object 1
13:37 BGLXReader Information Starting reading of object 2
13:37 BGLXReader Information Finished reading of object 2
13:37 BGLXReader Information Finished reading objects
13:37 ObjectRenderer Information Starting generating OpenGL arrays...
13:37 ObjectRenderer Information Finished generating OpenGL arrays
13:37 ObjectRenderer Information Loaded texture: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\..\texture\HF06.DDS
13:37 ObjectRenderer Information Loaded texture: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\..\texture\HF09_LM.DDS
13:37 ObjectRenderer Information Loaded texture: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\..\texture\NOR_ROOF1.DDS
13:37 ObjectRenderer Information Loaded texture: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\..\texture\NOR_ROOF1_LM.DDS
13:37 MDLXWriter Information Starting writing of file D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\at_hangar1.MDL
13:37 XWriter Information Starting writing of file D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\_MCX_temp.x
13:37 XWriter Information Finished writing of file D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\_MCX_temp.x
13:37 XtoMDL Information Found output file: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\at_hangar1.mdl
13:37 XtoMDL Information OutputFile: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\at_hangar1.mdl
13:37 XtoMDL Information Output file after modification: D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\at_hangar1.mdl
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error :
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : ----------------------------------------------------------------
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : XToMdl.exe Unhandled Application Exception
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : System.IO.FileNotFoundException
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : ----------------------------------------------------------------
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : Stack Trace:
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.ProcessInputs()
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.RealMain(String[] args)
13:37 XtoMDL Error (0): error : at Microsoft.FlightSimulator.XToMDL.XToMDL.Main(String[] args)
13:37 MDLXWriter Information Finished writing of file D:\Prepar3D_Addons\Airports of Norway\Scenery\at_hangar1.MDL

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you have the right DirectX version installed on your machine? It seems to be missing a DX related DLL file.

Country
norway
The file SlimDX.dll is a part of the P3D4 Modeling SDK, not the OS DirectX. It resides in all the 3DSMax\Plugins directories, and the path is correctly set in McX (as path to XtoMDL, using 3DSMax 2012). McX found this path by itself.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I that case I don't know. I thought I had this error on a laptop before and solve it by installing DirectX, but I can be wrong. The error message is quite clear that the specific file can somehow not be found.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello,...

According to some sources,... this file is in reference to the VC 10 files,...

I thought MCX is running VC2015 correct? @Andrew do you have either VC2010 or VC2015 installed correctly?

Country
norway
Thank you for chiming in guys, because this one is hard to track. Win10 as I know is DX12, and P3D4 if memory serves is using DX11? I have VC2015 installed both 32 and 64bit, and VC2010 only x86 (which is 32 bit?)

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Yes,... 32-bit is x86,... I'm not sure, but I'm wondering do new versions of rely on older versions, specifically VC2015 on VC2010... Is your OS 64-bit?

Country
norway
My OS has been 64 bit since Win7. I'm now wondering if the latest hotfix is at play.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
You might want to install VC2010 for 64-bit then... just a possible outside chance.

Country
norway
Agree to that. What is not left to try, and since I am on my first Win10 and have already planned a full reinstall, why not.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
This has nothing to do with MCX by the way. It's a message from xtomdl, so it would depend on the VC version the tools were build with.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That's good to know. So it seems the SDK depends on that version. I might add a check in MCX for that in the future.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I am getting the same error with the P3Dv4 SDK, installed into the default location. I get this error whether compiling through MCX or using the XtoMDL GUI program.

I do have several varieties of VC 2008 installed:

visual_C_installations.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

I don't know Tom...

Maybe 1 of the VC 2008 was corrupted? You do have multiple versions of 2008 installed for sure.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The P3D v4 SDK does not use VC2008, it uses VC2013 and/or VC2015.

Tom, are you running the 32 or 64 bit XtoMDL?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I've tried both, from the 3DSM2012 and 3DSM2012_x64 folders. Both give the same error message in MCX and XtoMDL GUI.

Country
us-newyork
I'm now getting the same error as the OP, but with compiled to P3d V4 MDL: format. I thought that it might be an incorrect path to the P3d4 SDK, but MCX finds XtoMdl, but gives the same error as above:

10:14 PM XtoMDL Error (0): error : Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX.dll' or one of its dependencies. The specified module could not be found.

There is a version of SlimDX.dll in all the 3dsmax plugin folders. This error has nothing to do with MCX as running a test X file directly from a command prompt window gives the same error. Could someone else check this out? Thanks.

Country
israel
Maybe you have a broken XtoMDL so try to reinstall sdk (if you reinstall so install the latest one with the hotfix)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
You need to make sure the right C++ runtime files are installed as well.