FSX:SE Cannot save or compile some airports

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Roby - please tell me exactly what you mean by "It still does not show up in the project files" Do you mean the file is not present in this folder C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 170\FSX\Projects or it is not showing in the recent files list? or something else?

you are misreading the settings data. customXmlFolder is not the folder that ADE compiles to unless you specify the third option in settings dialog

upload_2017-5-17_9-32-45.png

The compile location number is based on the choice above. I am compiling with the project file, you are compiling to Addon Scenery. If it said 3 then it would compile to the specific folder. In my case above that is the same as 2 but I could set the specific folder to some other place and tell ADE to compile there

'culo' means compile unknown library objects. So please we are trying to work out where your project file is going not where you are compiling - lets stick with that for now :)

Hi Jon,

Yes, I mean that the 'saved' file is not present in the C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 170\FSX\Projects.
It does show up in the recent files list but when I try to open it I get a pop up saying that ' ADE cannot find this file. It may have been moved or deleted. etc.

gadgets

Resource contributor
For what it's worth, I opened the file in ADE, saved it and compiled - all to my defined locations. I too doubt Windows is saving files in random locations. In Roby's post above, the specified CustomXMLFolder does not appear to be accidental.

Jon, I think you can safely conclude the underlying problem - whatever it is - lies in the configuration of the systems being affected. Jon, I wonder if those experiencing this difficulty have multiple versions of ADE installed or, perhaps, have had an older version of ADE installed at some point in a different folder with some remnant left in the registry that is responsible for this confusion. Or perhaps an incomplete update. I appreciate these suggestions don't address the selective nature (i.e., only some files) of the issue, but you've explored all the directly relevant stuff

Don

=rk=

Resource contributor
My question about compilers was intended to imply the mixed results could be due to different versions and it completely overlooked the unrelated and possibly more perplexing save issue, apologies. In my system, the KLAX airport saves as expected. I have multiple versions of ADE and use only the most recent.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Don

Multiple versions of ADE is a very good idea. Especially if the user imports settings from one version to the other. These folders are specific to a given installation but importing settings may well import the folder information from the old version to the new one. However I would expect ADE to open it properly from the recent files list wherever it is saved and not report an error.

Rick

No worries - it is a good point and using the wrong compiler does happen with unexpected results.

Raymk,

Is this where you saved it:" 'Saveas' into my ADE\FSX\Work " ? Not in the projects folder?.
Roby,
yes, I don't use PROJECTS folders but save all ad4 files into \work and all bgl's into \bgl. I then copy the bgl files into the suitable FSX scenery area. I find this an easier process than making changes to 'push' files into the 'correct' project areas.

Multiple ADE's,
I had this problem some months ago when I couldn't find some files which I expected to see in my latest ADE. I eventually found them in an earlier version of ADE which I have now got rid of, of course!.

I do have multiple versions of ADE. But they have never bothered me before. Just this one (to my astonishment) FSX-SE bgl of which I just tried to find out what the problem is.
it does not solve the problem for this particular bgl.
As for the registry , I clean it up every other day. But that does not mean anything either, I suppose, because the older versions are still there and active if I want to use them.
But we were talking about the save and not yet about the compile, weren't we?
What if we had another FSX-SE bgl to try that one out?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Not sure where FSX:SE comes in since this is not a stock file (and the SE stock files are the same as FSX) The OP just happens to be using FSX:SE as his sim which is effectively the same as FSX. Bgl file formats have not changed since FS9 in any meaningful way and certainly have nothing in them to affect the way they are handled by the OS

I finally managed to save the bgl in the project files!
I checked everything in the bgl and found that the runway surfaces said 128. I changed that into asphalt and saved. And it showed up in the project file folder:coffee:.
It does not explain though why some could and some could not find it in their project folder after saving without changing what I changed:confused:.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
To be honest that confuses me as well since saving a file has no connection with its contents - unless the file name itself contains illegal characters or the file contains malicious code spotted by a virus checker. Neither ADE nor the OS cares about the contents of the file on saving.

To be honest that confuses me as well since saving a file has no connection with its contents - unless the file name itself contains illegal characters or the file contains malicious code spotted by a virus checker. Neither ADE nor the OS cares about the contents of the file on saving.
I finally managed to save the bgl in the project files!
I checked everything in the bgl and found that the runway surfaces said 128. I changed that into asphalt and saved. And it showed up in the project file folder:coffee:.
It does not explain though why some could and some could not find it in their project folder after saving without changing what I changed:confused:.
Roby, THANK YOU! That also fixed the compile and save issue for me. When I double clicked on a runway, the airport surface dropdown box was blank. So I changed all runways to asphalt and it now saves and compiles just fine! Great!

Well, thank you.
But I had another instance of a bgl that did not want to save, one of my own this time where I moved the runway away from the taxiways and the central runway line. And it would not save! And that contradicts Jon's saying it does not matter what the content is!

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Well I still can't see how the content of a file can affect saving the file to disk using the built in file operations. However I can see the content affecting compiling. We had silent compile failures with the FS9 bgl compiler. I haven't seen it with the FSX/P3D compilers but this looks like it might be a case. Why it affects some people and not others is an on-going mystery

I wish I have seen this thread before !
I spend 3 hours modifying FSDT CYVR afcad file, then saved it and compiled it then....
NOTHING I THE FOLDER WHERE I COMPILED IT.
Well "never mind" i thought, i saved it so I will reload it and try to find what happened...HORROR ! the airport was not in my project folder !!!!
The only trace of it was thru the project/find setting but impossible to open it.

After reading this thread, i did what robystar found, i changed the runways surface to asphalt and every thing fine now, i can save and compile it.
Just lost 4 hours plus the time i will have to spend redoing it :(

Forgive me for reviving an old thread but it seems the most appropriate place. I too cannot compile a bgl and have tried all the above without success. I get the xml but not the bgl.
I have the SDK from my FSX CD and installed it to C:\MSFS\FSX SDK\SDK\ alongside the ADE folder. I do not have FSX itself installed.
After checking through the above posts I went to the BglComp folder under the DOS command prompt where I had also placed a copy of the xml. I then typed in "BglComp EGUT_ADEXP2_LAO.xml" (without the quotes). It fell over and left the following error message:
"The attribute 'transparent' on this element is not defined in the DTD/Schema."
Sure enough 'transparent' is in the xml as it would be because it is in the runway definitions. Can anyone explain what I can do to fix this? Here's the full report:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parsing document: EGUT_ADEXP2_LAO.xml

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2033: XML Parse Error (line, column, error)

ERROR: 116, 33, The attribute 'transparent' on this element is not defined in the DTD/Schema.
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2952: Attribute 'transparent' is not allowed in element 'Runway'!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2031: Failed element parse <Runway>
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2032: XML Parse Error! Element tree follows:

ERROR: <FSData
ERROR: version = 9.0
ERROR: >
ERROR: <Airport
ERROR: country = United Kingdom
ERROR: state = West Sussex
ERROR: city = Chichester
ERROR: name = RAF Tangmere
ERROR: lat = 50.8503826707602
ERROR: lon = -0.708076804876328
ERROR: alt = 17.0M
ERROR: magvar = 3
ERROR: trafficScalar = 0.41
ERROR: airportTestRadius = 5000.0M
ERROR: ident = EGUT
ERROR: <Runway
ERROR: lat = 50.8455600589514
ERROR: lon = -0.708739757537842
ERROR: alt = 17.0M
ERROR: surface = ASPHALT
ERROR: transparent = FALSE
ERROR: heading = 63.4806976318359
ERROR: length = 1845.3M
ERROR: width = 50.0M
ERROR: number = 06
ERROR: designator = NONE
ERROR: patternAltitude = 457.2M
ERROR: primaryTakeoff = YES
ERROR: primaryLanding = YES
ERROR: primaryPattern = LEFT
ERROR: secondaryTakeoff = YES
ERROR: secondaryLanding = YES
ERROR: secondaryPattern = LEFT
ERROR:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yours in hope.......

klem

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It is the compiler you are using. You probably have the earlier FSX compiler that does not support Transparent runways. If you want to use the Transparent flag with ADE for FSX then you need a later compiler. Please go to the FSX sub folder inside the ADE main folder. Looks for bglcomp.exe and tell me the date and time and size of that file.

Thanks for the quick reply!
The ADE bglcomp.exe is dated 26/09/2007, size 314KB. I did try that first of all with the same result (btw I only d/loaded it yesterday).
Ths FSX CD copy is dated 05/09/2006, size 310KB.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
OK - the time/date and size stamps for the one on my working system are 26/09/2007 16:08 and size 320,576 bytes. Same date different size. Please email me - jon AT scruffyduck DOT org and include the date/time/ size for the file which should be alongside bglcomp.exe - that is bglcomp.xsd