• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Cannot save or compile some airports

Country
unitedstates
I used to edit afcad files using ADE without any problems. The past few months I have some issues with only certain afcad files. FSDT KLAX is one of them. I can open the afcad bgl KLAX_AP.bgl, make changes, but when I go to save the project, or compile, nothing happens. On the screen it says save
"airport saved" but there are no files in my project folder.

When I compile it is the same problem, says compiled and yet no compiled bgl folder is in the project folder. I do not receive any error message. I am running Windows 10 Professional, latest updates. I run ADE as administrator and have full rights on the folders, I have the LM P3D SDK installed since Steam Edition does not include the SDK. Could that be why?

I downloaded the latest ADE beta pro edition and have the exact same issue.

Thank you. David

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
David, the fact that one airport wont compile while another will, does not really provide enough unique information to make any sort of informed guess as to why it is occurring. There is nothing about the P3D SDK that prevents certain airports, that one may eventually try to use in FSXSE, from compiling. My greatest suspicion is that the "project folder" you search is different from the project folder compiled to. This is very easy to do, each version of ADE has a project folder and if you are used to working with one version and you installed another, say a beta, you will probably have used the beta to navigate to the previous ADE project folder to get an airport, which compiles fine. Next you open a "new" airport, one that is in the scenery library and not in a previous ADE version project folder. This airport will not compile to the previous ADE project folder as did the last airport, because that is not where you loaded it from. So, you look in the previous project folder and assume that it did not compile. Try this: compile the airport again, but instead click the open project folder button. You may find that your compiled airport resides in the folder revealed. If it that does not, you should probably upload your ADE file, or some screen shots of the condition so people can try to reproduce it.

Country
unitedstates
David, the fact that one airport wont compile while another will, does not really provide enough unique information to make any sort of informed guess as to why it is occurring. There is nothing about the P3D SDK that prevents certain airports, that one may eventually try to use in FSXSE, from compiling. My greatest suspicion is that the "project folder" you search is different from the project folder compiled to. This is very easy to do, each version of ADE has a project folder and if you are used to working with one version and you installed another, say a beta, you will probably have used the beta to navigate to the previous ADE project folder to get an airport, which compiles fine. Next you open a "new" airport, one that is in the scenery library and not in a previous ADE version project folder. This airport will not compile to the previous ADE project folder as did the last airport, because that is not where you loaded it from. So, you look in the previous project folder and assume that it did not compile. Try this: compile the airport again, but instead click the open project folder button. You may find that your compiled airport resides in the folder revealed. If it that does not, you should probably upload your ADE file, or some screen shots of the condition so people can try to reproduce it.
Rick thank you for replying. It is the right folder since my other afcads get saved and compiled there. It is just a couple airports that do not save or compile. The fsdreamteam LAX afcad, the latest gsx grabbed from their servers, is one of these trouble makers on my system. Once I get back home to my gaming PC I can upload the afcad.

Country
unitedstates
Try using File/Save Airport As. What happens then?

gives me the same "airport saved" message but nothing appears in the project folder.

Close ADE and open up a different afcad file, it saves fine. And compiles fine. Just some are broken on my computer.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ADE allows Project specific folders. You set the default folders in Settings > Options. But it is possible to set the save and compile locations by individual project. To see which folder ADE is saving a project in go to Projects > Statistics.

upload_2017-5-16_7-11-33.png

ADE saves the settings for a given project in a project settings folder. you can list the ones ADE knows about using Projects > Find

upload_2017-5-16_7-13-0.png

This might show something helpful. Of course we are talking about projects files with the .ad4 extension and not bgl files. finally the locations of compiled bgl files for a project can be found/set in the compile options dialog when you click Compile:

upload_2017-5-16_7-15-20.png

Check these out for your problem projects and make sure that they say what you expected

Country
unitedstates
ADE allows Project specific folders. You set the default folders in Settings > Options. But it is possible to set the save and compile locations by individual project. To see which folder ADE is saving a project in go to Projects > Statistics.

View attachment 34973

ADE saves the settings for a given project in a project settings folder. you can list the ones ADE knows about using Projects > Find

View attachment 34974

This might show something helpful. Of course we are talking about projects files with the .ad4 extension and not bgl files. finally the locations of compiled bgl files for a project can be found/set in the compile options dialog when you click Compile:

View attachment 34975

Check these out for your problem projects and make sure that they say what you expected

I do not have an issue editing, saving, compiling most airport files. They all get dropped into my project folder just fine. There are only specific airports like fsdt klax. Forgot earlier to grab the bgl file to upload but this one I found in their forum edited by a user also does not let me save or compile. Unlike the other airports I edit, the fsdt bgl file does not save a project or compile even though I receive an on screen message telling me "project saved" or "compiled"

Attachments

• KLAX_AP.bgl
    70.3 KB · Views: 435

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think I understand the problem. Have you checked the setting that I suggested you check for these files. Can you confirm that ADE is using the folders you expected? The only reason I can think of for your problem is that the saved and compile file are not going where you think they are. Perhaps you can post the same screenshots I have but for the KLAX file?

Country
unitedstates
I think I understand the problem. Have you checked the setting that I suggested you check for these files. Can you confirm that ADE is using the folders you expected? The only reason I can think of for your problem is that the saved and compile file are not going where you think they are. Perhaps you can post the same screenshots I have but for the KLAX file?
I have made sure, on the save...as screen, to have it point to the same project folder and no project files appear after selecting save. I can open another project or bgl file and save and compile and there are no issues. Just specific afcad files like fsdt klax for some reason.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You have still not answered my question. I can't help unless you do.

Fyi, Jon, I downloaded the bgl, opened it with ADE 1.70.6042, saved it in my projects folder and nothing showed up in my projects folder either. Tried to save under another name but no luck either. The fault finder did find a bunch of errors though that should not be a reason for not saving it, or is it?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It compiled fine for me without using the fault finder.

klax.jpg

Without realizing, I'd compiled for P3D, the fact may be relevant.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK. I downloaded the bgl file posted above and loaded it into ADE using File > Open Airport from bgl. I do nothing but load it and check the project information:

upload_2017-5-16_14-47-1.png

The project folder is D:\Downloads which is where the download went. Now without doing anything else I use File > Save and in the dialog I have the default projects folder as set in ADE Settings > Options

The Save Dialog
upload_2017-5-16_14-50-53.png

The default settings:

upload_2017-5-16_14-52-7.png

And confirmation that the project file is in the specified folder

upload_2017-5-16_14-50-4.png

Check the Project Statistics again:

upload_2017-5-16_14-53-12.png

Can't see the whole path because of the length but it is pointing to the correct place. Now checked the Project > Find dialog and the project file is where I expect it and where it is

upload_2017-5-16_14-54-55.png

Now I compile it using File > Compile.

upload_2017-5-16_14-55-42.png

The settings tell me that ADE should compile to the relevant Addon Scenery\scenery folder. I compiled it and it is in the correct folder:

upload_2017-5-16_14-57-39.png

So I have no problems with this and I go back to being sure that you actually know where the files are going.

Strange!
I will do it once more.
And for sure, I found the project file in the project statistics (but not in the project folder).
Then when I open the file I get this:

KLAX cannot be read.jpg

And I found the other one that I 'saved as' as well and located through the same 'find' method (but not found in the project files):

this file does not contain an airport.jpg

(I am not interested in KLAX, let that be made clear but am only trying to help out here.)
Could it be that the FSXSE.bgl has some incompatibility issues with ADE as a consequence of the many fault finder issues???
I still have not compiled it because I am still in the save/save as phase. Will try to eliminate the issues exposed by the fault finder and then see if it will save and compile.

Deleted all the jetways: save and no ad4 file in the projects file;
Deleted an immense amount of exclusions and saved under another name: nothing shows up yet in the projects file;
Adjusted all the ILS altitude errors: nothing.
There is not much I can get rid of anymore without having a default airport!
Fyi: I am on windows 7 and settings are for FSX and/or P3Dv3.
I have never tried a FSXSE.bgl before but it is kind of amazing that I cannot even save this one as a project file.

Country
unitedkingdom
Downloaded the KLAX_AP.bgl file and opened it in my ADE with 'Open from BGL'. (Looks a bit odd?)
'Saveas' into my ADE\FSX\Work folder without any problems.
'Compiled' into my ADE\FSX\BGL folder without any problems.
It seems strange that some people can work with this files and others cannot?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Does not ADE call a compiler, of which different versions can be assigned?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Rick - ADE uses the compiler from the path that is specified in the settings. By default ADE will get this from the registry for the version of FS that ADE is being started for. Users can define it manually as well.

I am getting confused about this. The problem seems to be that ADE does not save some files. Since it uses the underlying Windows function to save files then it seems that goes wrong for some specific files. A file is a file and the save function does not care what it is called or what it contains. It follows the rules for the name you give it and the folder you specify.

A save could fail entirely - that is the OS does not save it - maybe because the folder is locked or because the file is overwriting one of the same name and that is locked also. A save can be happening but not under the name or folder the user expects.

Let's go back to where the file saving information is held. ADE uses special files (not part of the project file) called airport project settings files which have an extension .aprs. There is an 'apsf' folder in each version folder in ADE:

upload_2017-5-17_8-10-22.png

It contains the settings files for each project it knows about:

upload_2017-5-17_8-11-19.png

The file name is the project name plus a unique identifier which is the internal project ID These files contain settings information specific to this project:

upload_2017-5-17_8-12-41.png

You can find several settings files apparently for the same project if you have saved it in different locations. You can force ADE to start again and ignore the settings file if you delete it. Roby - in your case I suggest that you delete any airport project settings files for this project and then start ADE again, load the file and save it - but carefully do check the folder that the project file is being sent to.

Did as you said. No joy.

This is what it says in the aspf:

ProjectName|KLAX_ADEX_RS
ProjectFolder|C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 170\FSX\Projects
CompileLocation|2
culo|0
CustomCompileFolder|C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery
CustomXmlFolder|C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\CV65 Enterprise Vietnam\scenery
GpLayerOutOfBoundsAsked|false
CompileAirport|true
CompileGP|true
CompilePreLoad|true
CompileTerrain|true
KeepCvx|0
SaveXml|2
SplitCompile|true
CompileFileName|KLAX_ADEX_RS
AirportIdent|KLAX
ProjectID|f4f45317-9806-4ccb-9697-4827f161e548
Comment|

It still does not show up in the project files. Also saved the bgl in another place and started ADE as administrator but all to no avail.
A strange thing also is that it specifies the customXmlFolder completely different from what it should be (=together with the project file).
Yours says CompileLocation|1, mine says 2. Does that mean anything?
And what is culo (I know what it is in Spanish and in Italian:)) ?
In other words, I am still baffled.