• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ADE Can't add a new Background Image

Country
germany
Hello everyone,
I recently wanted to update my Background Image to an newer one in ADE. So I created a new one with SBuilderX, deleted the old one and wanted to add the new one in ADE. Sadly I got an error saying that it is not an Image File. Than I noticed that the Image was over one gig and exported it as jpg with 240MB. Also quite big but because the old Image was over 400MB I tried it. Sadly this was also not working. I read on the forum that a 32bit Image can't be used so I converted it to 16bit with no success. In the end I ended up with an Image size of 6MB but its still not working. Maybe someone has an solution for my problem, because of the small File size I'm losing so much detail to align the Parking Stands correctly.
Thanks in advance

Country
unitedkingdom
ADE won't import a background image bigger than (IIRC) 7.5mb. But you can import lots of them! I use a general one for the airport layout, then small local ones for more detailed work like aircraft parking.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This is a limitation of the memory allocation on .NET (and probably my lack of ability to fix it) Images take up a lot of memory when loaded and that is a direct result of the dimensions of the image. So large images covering the airport are more likely to fail than smaller ones as Tim describes.

Country
unitedkingdom
I don't bother with using SBuilder for these either. Google Earth combined with the Snip Tool (in Win10) is fine, unless you need absolute positional accuracy, and takes just a few seconds per image.