• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Can't start at Heliport

Country
unitedkingdom
Today I had a very encouraging session on this forum, I found I had to have runway start points, otherwise the sim would CTD.

I decided to extract a simple heliport that I had created for FSX, and install it in MSFS2020, I duly copied the project file across, and added a start point (other, not runway). When I select the heliport as a start point, I can see the surrounding scenery, but when I click the fly now button, it moves me to the nearest airfield with a runway. I have tried adding a pukka helipad (in FSX I just used a grass apron), but it still refuses to start at the heliport.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• culhamheliport_Backup.zip
    32.9 KB · Views: 7

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You have to have a runway, but it can be very small. ;)

Just don't leave any extra parking, or you might get uninvited guests.

rHxWdufP.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
You have to have a runway, but it can be very small. ;)

Just don't leave any extra parking, or you might get uninvited guests.

rHxWdufP.jpg
You are right - FSX didn't need starts, but MSFS2020 needs runway starts. I found the runway length needed to be at least 1 metre, so I set the width likewise, its working but the start currently misses the centre of the helipad, I need to do some adjusting. Thanks for your help.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Frank:

If it is not mission-critical to have the Helipad listed in the airport directory, one can otherwise: :idea:

* place a Helipad scenery object

* position the helicopter on the pad

* save a flight

The saved flight can be used to browse / select and launch a flight from the World Map by pressing < Spacebar > key

The Helicopter to be used for that flight can then be changed if desired, via the DevMode Menu > Window > Aircraft selector list.

Just another option, if you're inclined. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Frank:

If it is not mission-critical to have the Helipad listed in the airport directory, one can otherwise: :idea:

* place a Helipad scenery object

* position the helicopter on the pad

* save a flight

The saved flight can be used to browse / select and launch a flight from the World Map by pressing < Spacebar > key

The Helicopter to be used for that flight can then be changed if desired, via the DevMode Menu > Window > Aircraft selector list.

Just another option, if you're inclined. :)

GaryGB
Thanks for that Gary, I do like to see my creations in the airport list.

I should add a postscript to my previous remarks - with the runway dimensions set at 1 metre square, landing on the pad resulted in a [Vicinity] entry in my log book, resetting it to a six metre square got rid of the [Vicinity] when landing on the pad.

Country
unitedstates
I also found out the hard way that you had to have a runway. I simply made the runway material transparent. I also added a parking circle and named it Parking 1. When I search for my helipad in the main map, it defaults to one of my runway numbers, but if I drop down the runway dropbox, I can choose "Parking 1". By using the Taxiway Parking entry, I can orient the aircraft as I wish and have it appear just where I want it - might need to move it backwards or forwards a bit. However, then I needed to put taxiway points on the runway, link them and then link one of them to the parking ring. This allows me, by choosing Parking 1, to start cold and dark.
I'm still working the scenery part, but the starting point works well. Just have to ignore the runway designation in the main map search.
Anybody have any ideas on how to make the runway numbers disappear in the departure choices so only the parking is available?
Forum Photo.jpg

Edit: Here's a new wrinkle: I tried this again with an elevated hospital heliport that's already a scenery object. Everything worked just fine (found it in the departure search using its ICAO, dropped down the runway list and chose the parking spot) and my helicopter got there cold and dark just fine - except it was under the elevated platform. I could raise the runway, but there was no way to raise the Taxiway Parking ring. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am aware of the "saved flight" workaround, but that's inelegant. I'd like it to be searchable for inclusion in a flight plan at minimum.

Last edited: