• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CAT and lights

ajweber

Banned
I hope I'm not repeating a question that's been answered and I haven't found it yet, but I have a two fold question about using CAT to animate lights.

First of all, The ship is compiled using FSX SDK and the lights are compiled using the FS9 SDK in order to use CAT.
I am attempting to animate a helo aircraft carrier's lights to appear to come on when the helicopter comes alongside of the ship, and whithin a certain distance.

Since GMAX won't let me compile the attach points with the lights by themselves, I've created a small box with no attachments to link the attachpoint lights to in order to be able to compile the file. I then animated the box to move up and down just enough for the attach point lights to disappear below the deck and appear off. When I compile just the .mdl before useing CAT, the lights are on a loop, and work perfectly. After using CAT, and setting the animation to work on a NAV2 frequency, the box animation works, but the lights don't move. Can someone give me a workaround for this?

That's the first question.

Next question: I want to have the light animation triggered with a bounding box. Where exactly am I measuring the reference point from, 0,0,0 of the GMAX scene or the animated box? For example, the box is approx -12.50 along the y axis from the scene 0 reference point, and about -60.0 along the x. would I be working off of these numbers to set the bounding box, or the animated box's ref point? So if the distance I need the length goes from -12.50 to -14.75 in GMAX, am I putting min-12.50, max -14.75 in the length box in CAT?

Am I making any sense? And if these questions have already been answered, somebody please just direct me to those post.

Thanks.

AJ

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You are using effects for your light? These can not be conditioned with CAT. The tweak to add the condition can not be placed on attachpoints.

It would work if you use the lights generated with the special material names (light_nav, etc).

ajweber

Banned
Well, I tried uding the Special Material tag of Light_Nav on boxes named Light_Navxx and no lights. Do those tags work in FSX if compiled with the FS9 SDK?

ajweber

Banned
Never mind on the last post, saw the .ASM tweak thread on the subject, and I have light now. Just need a heads up on the bounding box info and I'm good to go!

ajweber

Banned
Got the bounding box question answered.

Thanks for your help Arno on the first question.

AJ