• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Country
unitedstates
Good evening, everyone!
At first, I joined this site to learn about designing and editing airports when I used P3d, which had very outdated versions. However, since FS2020 uses satellite imagery along with the fact that buildings are solid objects now, so you can land on the roof of any building rather than creating a new airport. At this time, I would like to learn more about using the aircraft creation utility of the SDK, as there are still some planes that I would like to use, but are not available for the new Simulator. If I understand correctly based on the documentation, the first component that you should focus on is the aircraft.cfg file. Would I go into Windows Explorer, find the SimObjects folder, which in my case is C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects and just create a new subfolder with the name of the aircraft I intend to make? Then do I just copy the cfg templates within the C:\MSFS SDK\Samples\Aircraft\SimpleAircraft\PackageSources\SimObjects\Airplanes\MyCompany_Simple_Aircraft files and edit them in whatever code editing software I use? Before people bombard me here, I have looked at the documentation materials multiple times, and they aren't really making sense. I've had a lot of success getting answers on this site, so I thought I'd start here. I hope everyone had a great Christmas/New Year!
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Ok, then study the file structure of the Simple Aircraft. BUT, first you need a 3D model. Did you model your aircraft in a 3D software (Blender, 3DSmax, etc.)

Country
unitedstates
I didn't model the aircraft yet because I thought studying the structure came first. What do you use for modeling? I have used Sketchup for previous scenery projects.

I use Blender. You' r in for a wild ride then :) you should give it a go, and before anything else, i would look up Blender tutorials, get comfy with its UI, and practice modelling simple stuff.
I encourage you to go for it, BUT, just a heads up, depending on the airplane and level of detail you'r looking for, you have at least a few hundred hours of work, and possibily thousands.