• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Change surface behavior of existing runway? (Ice to Concrete)

Country
poland
Hi!

I didn't find a solution for the following question after some browsing in this forum and reading the SCASM docs:

What I have here is an ice resp. snow runway at McMurdo, Antarctica. The problem is that those runways are slippery like nothing else. There is absolutely no friction and the only way to stop an aircraft is be using thrust reverse. There should at least be some friction.

Because the default ice texture fits perfectly for this runway I decided to use it there instead of a runway done using resample.exe. In other words: I want to keep the texture default and only want to change its friction.

For the resample.exe runways I used some modificated landclasses the enhance the friction. ORBX seems to use taxipaths to "flatten" the apron areas.
The problem is that I didn't find anything at yet that I could put over the runway to enhance friction. I tried the following options:

• Adding a 3D platform along the runway, which is 0.02 meters higher. Didn't work because even if you set the start locations higher, FSX always uses the actual runway altitude meaning that the aircraft always starts below the platform if there is a runway.
  • Drawing a concrete apron beneath the runway. Didn't work because the runway seems to have a higher priority than aprons (of course).
  • I always thought that there was a command in SCASM that lets us add an invisible surface, but couldn't find anything like it (always thought this is Area 16 but it aparently doesn't have a surface option).

Any ideas?

Bests,
Sascha

Country
spain
New runway and set his widht to 0.0, the runway desappear, don't know if it's what you mean, and if in this case will keep his properties.

Country
poland
I want to keep the existing ice runway, just with a different surface behavior. That's the problem.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I would say that would need some modification to the texture used in FS for ice runways. I have no idea how that would be done since it is not my area of expertise.

Country
poland
That's something I'm trying to avoid. I'm always trying to do my sceneries in a way that nothing on FSX's default files needs to be changed.
I nothing else works out here, I will do the runways with resample.exe and a landclass that doesn't cause a spray effect when taxiing. But provided that the default runway looks just perfect in McMurdo I would like to keep that highres runway texture when possible.

Bests,
Sascha