• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Changes in Airports from SU6 > SU7

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have run a quick analysis of Asobos latest changes to the stock file list. I was interested in the announcement of 545(?) new airports in SU7. I can't find them

Between SU6 and SU7 The number of name records has increased from 38,024 to 38,288 but that hides 510 airports added, 246 airports deleted and there are also 22 which have some minor change. 'Fortunately' the bulk of this activity is in small airports many of which the ident is probably made up. As far as I can tell so far they are all in the US.

I wonder when they will stop tinkering

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I wish they would concentrate on having a bug-free sim, then add or subtract content once everything works as intended. The changes and bugs introduced to the DevMode and compiler are very annoying. Right now they change content and the sim core without any reason. It's not even a good beta process... more like alpha. And what was the point of introducing DX12 when DX11 is partially broken? This shouldn't be an experiment at this point. They should change the core on a yearly basis, rather than every 2 months or less.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Yes - sadly it is not getting better and there seems a sense of fire fighting. It does not help that the SIm Team and the SDK Team are separate and the Sim Team does not (always?) tell the SDK team if they changed something that breaks the Dev Mode (the fspackagetool mess from SU6 for example)

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
I believe they said that the Sim Update coming in February is suppose to focus on the long list of bugs that have been accumulating for over a year now (I think it was one of the livestreams that they said this? That or an article). Hopefully that's the case. I want it to be the case, because it really needs to be.

Before SU5, my reports in Zendesk usually took about a week or two to get marked as logged. After SU5, it took just over 2 months, which to me definitely sounds like an increase in volume. Rightfully so.

I would much rather have updates and fixes every other month with a good QA pass than month to month causing even more issues. And content releases could be easily toned down to a few bigger releases each year.

Unfortunatly, I believe the holdup here would be the "gamer" side of MSFS getting bored without the frequent content updates.