• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Changing Alpha Test Values of 2002-style grounpolygons

Country
germany
Hey there,

The problem I stumbled over is that I made grounpolygons with alpha channels for FSX using the FS2002 SDK that have a wrong alpha test level.
Meaning that when I look at the ground from a higher altitude, the groundpolygon I'm talking about doesn't vanish as it should do so the main groundpolygon (satellite image) becomes visible...it looks tiled and solid like the texture had no alpha channel.
I think by default the FS2002-style groundpolygons have an alpha test value of 4.
I need around 10 or something but when I try to change that, it seems like the grounpolygon information is beeing lost when compiling and turning into a normal model again.

BTW: Another way could be to compile the groundpolygon directly using MCX and the groundpolygon wizard but it seems to projects the layers onto the ground. It is important that the groundpolygon doesn't lose its altitude over the ground. Is that possible?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The alpha test value only applies to FSX, in the FS2002 techniques the alpha channel is just always used for transparency.

Country
germany
Alright, is there a way to edit the mipmaps of the alpha channel?
Would be worth a try to make the the last few mipmaps solid black.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

ImageTool allows you to extract and insert mipmaps, so that way you can edit individual ones.

Country
germany
Nice! This gives a lot more control over how things are beeing displayed!
I edited the alpha channel of the 64*64px mipmap so its solid black.

Now it would be cool to have a smoother passage for example to make the 64*64MM a bit darker, the 32*32MM a bit darker than the one before etc and the 16*16MM is solid black.

Is that possible? I couldn't figure out how to edit individual MipMaps.
What I can do so far is to resize the source texture to 64*64px (for example) and edit its alpha channel. Then load the source texture into ImageTool, select "Add MipMaps", adding the 64*64Texture. Result: Alpha Channel of the MipMaps down to 64*64px are the same as the source texture, everything less or equal the edited mipmap has the reworked alpha channel.

Country
us-washington
Thunderbolt- When you have the time, could you post here or send me a step by step tutorial on this volumetric grass? The website where Shawn's tutorial is starts off ok but then gets into terms that I know nothing about.

I wrote to him.... no answer.

I do use FSDS but it should be workable with FSDS. I have PSP and DXTBMP. i took a copy of Shawn's ground dirt and the black and white (fig 4).

For grass I would assume there is some preparation to be done? Show me how to do the alpha channel- I have done so many in the past for transparancies and such, but I fear this might be different in some way.
jyarddog@potc.net

Not the wisest to post an e-mail addy herre but what the hey- family and all. :) Bob