• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport KCHA

Country
netherlands
Been quiet for a bit as real life has become more demanding. But, there still is some progress. This is the area just south of the main terminal. What remains is some detailing in terms of little chimneys and such. After this I'll likley head over to the Wilson Air Center, and I'll be continuing to finish the interior of the terminal.
GA_Area_1.JPG
GA_Area_2.JPG
GA_Area_3.JPG
GA_Area_4.JPG

Country
netherlands
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the previews :) Currently onwards to work on Wilson's ramps and buildings. These are a little mroe challenging given the various height differences of the roofs. Also been working on the inside of the terminal. See below. Seem familiar?

inside1.JPG
inside2.JPG

Country
netherlands
So there is the chance of a developed interior terminal? That would be great!
Definitely! I reasoned that the windows are big and make it easy to look straight through the terminal, so it made sense to me to model it. At this point the building’s internal structure is essentially finished. The next step is adding the restrooms, bar, seats and various signs.

Country
netherlands
Been a while since I posted! I've been working on a bunch of different projects, all at the same time, so KCHA isn't going as fast as it otherwise would (I get bored easily...). That said, I completely reworked the otuside of the terminal and added a significant amount of detail, see below. While you wouldn't have been able to appreciate it easily, the changes are actually fairly dramatic as I have reworked the gate extensions and intergated them into the main concourse model. I have spent a lot of time on the interior as well, besides adding detail to the windows. Also started working on the jetway model, but this still needs alot of work. The aim is to make it a fully functional SODE model. The jetwya looks a little skinny still because it lack a lot of A/C equipment. For this I have been working on the Portable A/C GSE model, because they share parts, so it would be easier to make it for the GSE (based on actual schematics, hooray!) and then take the relevant parts and apply them to the jetway. Also added some floodlight models. Hope you like!

terminal1.JPG
terminal2.JPG
terminal3.JPG
terminal4.JPG

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
Oh, I wish I still lived up in that area. Pensacola is ok, but just not the same. Looking forward to your scenery! Pete

Country
netherlands
Thanks for the support, Pete! Progress has been slow while I work on other projects. I'm working on three or four different things, and while this probably seems inefficient (it is), I'm learning things in one project that I then bring back to others. Currently I'm doing work trying to get my head around PBR texturing, and I'm finding that a good way to learn this is by working on more 'generic' library objects, e.g. taxilights. So here's the simple thing I've been recently working on:

1589666861511.png

This taillight is based off some documentation I got of some lights that are used at CHA, but they seem to be a generic enough model that I can probably use them at other places as well. I'm using Substance Painter to bake mesh maps and then paint it with PBR materials. Works wonderfully well. By its texturing, the model looks a lot more details then it is. Look closely at the actual geometry and you'll see it's a simple model. The base of the fixture is probably the most revealing in that regard.

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Hello all! Progress on this project has bene incredibly slow, and for this I apologize. However, that is in part because it's pretty much the first project I ever started. I have not sat still in the meantime, using a swath of other projects to get acquainted with new skills. One of those - a ground poly for us with AVAGroup's FNLU scenery - was released a couple of months ago and is available on AVAGroup's website. That project also included my first forays into using Substance Painter to make PBR textures for objects. I used this to make floodlights using dynamic lighting - another thing I learned while working on that project. Since then I have worked a lot on a new project involving Bujumbura HBBA. For this I ghave learned how to use Substance Painter to make PBR textures for groundpolies.

Of course, all this knowledge will make it back to KCHA. I have come back to KCHA now to remind myself what state it is in, and one thing that has become obvious to me is that there are all sorts of things about it that are the result of me being a beginner. Thus, part of the work is cleaning up the model while simultaneously attempting to finish it. At least this has resulted to one actual accomplishment: the interior structure is essentially finished and I have started adding some furniture at this point (see attached screenshots).

My goal is to finish the terminal and texture it before I continue on anything more. KCHA is going through changes, mostly with regards to the ramps, so I will probably hold off on updating the groundpoly until those changes are closer to finishing.

Another thing I might try out: sloping runways. I have another project (Asmara HHAS) that I will use to figure out the details of how this works, probably, as it's a much simpler airport. Fortunately, one thing I do have is a mesh of high resolution for KCHA, and I'm hoping I'll be able to use this to get detailed data on the elevation of the airport, which is rather variable.

All for now!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-19 142041.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-19 142041.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2021-01-19 142122.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-19 142122.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 84
Country
austria
and one thing that has become obvious to me is that there are all sorts of things about it that are the result of me being a beginner.
I really felt this one, i do have the same "problem" as you, but on the other hand i think it's quite rewarding to learn new things and then apply these new skills to your project.
I wish you all the best for this, and every other project you're working on, seems you're doing a very fine job indeed.

Keep it up

Country
netherlands
I really felt this one, i do have the same "problem" as you, but on the other hand i think it's quite rewarding to learn new things and then apply these new skills to your project.
I wish you all the best for this, and every other project you're working on, seems you're doing a very fine job indeed.

Keep it up
I agree! Coming back with new things learned and seeing the sudden leaps where previously the project had stagnated is somehow spectacular.