• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Color rate

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

While debuging a MCX visualization issue of the particle effects I came across a possible issue with the color rate values. In many FX file I see:

Code:
Color Rate=0.00, 0.00

According to the SDK when the percentage of the lifetime of the particle is below the first value the start color is shown, when it is bigger than the end value the end color is shown and in between they are blended. But with both values at zero this would mean that the end color is always shown. Many particle have a end color that has an alpha of zero, so that would mean the particle would never show. This sounds not logical to me.

Does anybody know if a color rate of zero and zero maybe has a special meaning? The SDK documentation is not that clear on this.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Disregard part of the question above, the alpha value is always taken from the start color I read in the SDK afterwards.

But also the fade in and fade out values often have 0.00 for all values. Does that mean they do not fade or are they always faded out then? Also from the SDK it is not clear how quickly they will fade (the values seem to indicate the point at which they fade only).

If anybody knows more details about that, I would be happy to hear :)

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Hi Arno

I recently spent a long time building engine fire/smoke effects. AFAICT using 0.00 caused an instant 'on/off' effect. I can't give you a definitive response to 'how long' but I'd observe that smoke effects that trail behind an aircraft appeared to take longer to fade out than smoke from a static fire with the same values. This could simply be because smoke trails are stretched out and it's a visual effect of that.

-Dai