• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Compilation error when using WaterClass_*

Country
panama
Every time I tag a polygon with any of the Waterclass tags I get a compilation error as shown below:

Code:
Shp2Vec.exe version 10.0.61472.0  -  VectorQuad 6
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Processing EXXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp

Processing FLXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp

Processing FWXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp

Processing HLXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp

Processing HPXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp

Processing PKXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp
Processing RDXPA-MPCE-DEGT.shp

Writing vector data to .\cvxPA-MPCE-DEGT

DONE (121 shapes)

Compression statistics
                          Type      Count   Bytes in  Bytes out
               Null (raw data)          0          0          0
              Predictive Delta         30      14232       4876
                  Quantization        181       7496       3771
The system cannot find the path specified.
'gdal_translate' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Microsoft Corp. Terrain Resampler 10.0.61472.0 (fsx-sp2.20071210-2023)
(C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Resample Info File: 'PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass.INF'
[Source] Type = 'Tiff'
[Source] Type = 'Tiff'
[Source] SourceDir = '.'
[Source] SourceFile = 'PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif'
[Source] Layer = 'WaterClass'
[Source] NullValue = '255'
TIFFOpen: D:\Flight-Simulation\FSX\My-Scenery-Designs\PA-MPCE-Chitre\FSX-Kml\Gen
erated\PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif: Cannot open.
Unable to open data source 'D:\Flight-Simulation\FSX\My-Scenery-Designs\PA-MPCE-
Chitre\FSX-Kml\Generated\PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif'.
Failed to create data source.
Could Not Find D:\Flight-Simulation\FSX\My-Scenery-Designs\PA-MPCE-Chitre\FSX-Km
l\Generated\PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif
Press any key to continue . . .

I have FSX SP2 and have installed the corresponding SDK. My FSX is installed on

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

and the SDK on

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\

In FSX KML the 1st path is used in the FSX Folder option and the 2nd is used as the root of the two (Terrain and BGL Compiler) SDK folders.

I have installed and properly configured (in FSX KML) the FW Tools 2.4.7.

The compilation produces an INF file for the resampler (?), and this file which was automatically generated contains this:

Code:
[Source]
Type = Tiff
Layer = WaterClass
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif"
NullValue = 255
[Destination]
DestFileType = BGL
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass"
NorthLat = 8.01879353280423
WestLon = -80.4621748947049
SouthLat = 8.00929442033731
EastLon = -80.4419654388339

When the compilation is finished I see there the INF file shown above and the "destination" TIF file PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass.tif but no Source TIF file (PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif).

Any ideas what is wrong? I am unable to use any WaterClass tag on my projects because of this.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Code:
[Source]
Type = Tiff
Layer = WaterClass
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass.tif"
NullValue = 255
[Destination]
DestFileType = BGL
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass"
NorthLat = 8.01879353280423
WestLon = -80.4621748947049
SouthLat = 8.00929442033731
EastLon = -80.4419654388339

There is no PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass_2.tif file to resample, but apparently there is a PA-MPCE-DEGT_WaterClass.tif?

You really need to connect with someone who uses FSX KML, Most designers would use SBuilderX or run resample manually. Hopefully, the author or another knowledgable person will step in to help.

Dick

Country
panama
I thought that since this is terrain related the FSX Terrain was the most appropriate because it can be done with other tools. Anyway, thanks for moving the topic.

I found the culprit of that problem though! I found there is a script called "setfw.bat" and "bin\setfwenv.bat" in the FWTools directory. Their installation script mangles paths to the old DOS notation "This_is~.xxx" so the root path was lost.

Having corrected that now I get absolutely no compilation errors and another BGL file (for the waterclasses) is created. Now I have another problem though...

I have two Waterclass* polygons in my project, the extra (FWTools+resample) BGL is created. I placed all the BGLs in the scenery directory but then my polygons appear without water!

I tried moving the TIF file that is still present to the textures directory of FSX but still the same result, the water polygons are emptied of water. I don't see any BMP file present.

What could be wrong here?