• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Compile error

I'm using MDL Tweaker II (the zipped version) and have ran the batch file in order to install the .dll. Now, I made a simple object using the FS2004 SDK (Gmax) and by using the Tweaker I have added a rotate to user option. After doing that I press "save" in the program and I get a mdl file, for example "tree_tweaked.mdl" (with the original file being "tree.mdl").
So far so good. Then I rename the tweaked file to be the original one and when I try to compile, using BGLCOMP I get an error. The bottom line is that I cannot compile the files that I save with MDL Tweaker II no matter what option I put in the program.

Thank you
 

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

What is the error you get from BGLComp? That might give an indication of where it goes wrong.
 
Hey Arno, here's what's happening:
1. I made a plane in Gmax (FS2004 SDK)
gmax.jpg
2. Got these files upon exporting from Gmax
fajlovi.jpg
3. Open the DELETEME.mdl with MDL Tweaker II and aplied the rotate to user
mdltwk.jpg
4. Saved the file as DELETEME_tweaked.mdl and then deleted the original mdl file and renamed the tweaked one so it is DELETEME.mdl
5. Run the DELETEME.xml with BGLCOMP.exe and got this error:
error.jpg

I have also tried the install version but with no luck :(
 

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Maybe a wild shot, but did you let Windows hide your file extensions? In that case please check that the renamed file is not called DELETEME.MDL.MDL or DELETEME (without extension). In that case BGLComp can not find them.
 
No, extensions are not hidden :( The filename is complete including the three leter .XXX identifier. Something's wrong with the newly compiled *.mdl file that the Tweaker edits but I have no idea what. I didn't see any posts on the forum about this subject, so I guess I'm the only one with this strange problem.
If I understand correctly the Tweaker compiles the new .mdl file using the BGLCOMP_9.exe right? And then I need to comile that file with BGLCOMP.exe and the appropriate XML file? I just don't know what could be the problem.
 

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

No, MDL Tweaker writes the MDL file directly, no compiler is used for that. Can you attach the file that does not work to your post? Then I can debug it here and check what goes wrong.
 
OK Arno, I made a simple box (2x2x2 meters) and exported it and all the files that I got are in the archive including the tweaked one that's giving me the trouble. The file is called EXAMPLE. Have fun and thanx.
View attachment EXAMPLE.zip
 
Well to be honest the MDL Tweaker still gives me an error ( a different kind but never the less an error). I don't know what could be the problem. But it's ok, I can tweak it manually. Thanx for the help anyway.
 

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Looking at your example, that MDL was not optimized. That could very well be the reason of the problems, because I never tested MDL Tweaker with MDL files that contains this (useless) debugging code in there as well.
 
I know this was a long time ago, but to all you people that might experience this problem the solution lies in the Otpimize=1 option in the MakeMDL.cfg file. If it's zero the tweaked file will fail to compile.
 
Top