Compiling Problems

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
That message is usually given when ADE cannot find BglComp. Please check that you have the path correctly set.

I've checked the path and it is correct. It almost seems like there is something wrong with the SDK itself. Most of the program that use it can find it.

Have you ever heard of something like this happening before?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Yes - it was quite common but since we automated the search for the SDK it has not been reported recently. Have you run the ADe Environment Test Tool that is intalled with ADE? Try that and see what is says. Which operating system are you using?

The error is actually that "the system cannot find the file specified", rather than "The system cannot find the file type specified". Does this make a difference to your prognosis, Jon?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The error is actually that "the system cannot find the file specified", rather than "The system cannot find the file type specified". Does this make a difference to your prognosis, Jon?
No I don't think so John. When compiling ADE will first generate an xml file and then use BglComp to create the bgl file. I suppose if ADE could not create the xml file bexause the folder was read only or the user did not have permission to create a file there then that might cause a problem

Almost sounds as if bglcomp can't find the xml file for some reason. Is it possible for the user not to have sufficient permissions to write the xml file? And if so, what sort of message would be the first one up! Is anything logged when compiling?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Almost sounds as if bglcomp can't find the xml file for some reason. Is it possible for the user not to have sufficient permissions to write the xml file? And if so, what sort of message would be the first one up! Is anything logged when compiling?
At the moment the logger does not do much logging in this area.

I ran the Ade environtment checker and it says the BGComp.exe was not found. It also said that both FSX and the SDK are missing the "trailing backlash." I am running Vista SP1

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Can I just confirm that you do have the FSX SDK installed - sound like it might not be.

I do have the SDK installed. One thing is weird though. I have Acceleration installed but it does not show up as ...:Acceleration SDK as in yours but simply ...Simulator X SDK. I'm wondering if this could mean there was an error in the installation of the Acceleration update to the SDK that could have screwed up ADE. Come to think of it the problem did start around the same time I installed Accel. :confused:

That's the Programs and Features view in the Windows Control Panel (Vista naming). Look in there to see how your SDK is named there. My SDK FOLDER isn't named with Acceleration, but the package itself is so named for add/delete functions.

I've left all my files name at default so it is still Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK but when I hit the Programs and Features menu it comes up as just FSX SDK.

Also, could someone explain the deal with the trailing backlash.

Did you install the FSX SP1 Service pack before you installed the Accleration/SP2?

Acceleration/SP2 does not replace the FSX service Pack SP1 like so many may believe.

Open your Control Panel\Program Features like George shows and then up in the left top click on view updates. FSX and FSX SP1 in Vista are actually listed as updates to windows.

If you do not have FSX SP1 Service Pack installed then acceleration/SP2 and SP2 SDK for FSX may not be stable.

Another issue is if you used the default FSX install path for Vista 32 it places FSX into your Program Files folder. This folder is not used the same as Windows XP and will not in most cases give you administration rights because of the ProgramData folder. It is best to place FSX directly to your Root drive folder such as C:\FSX.

Do the same thing for the SDK such as C:\FSX SDK.

There are two updates on the Acceleration DVD in the SDK folder. You can ignore SP1a but do run sdk.msi to update the SDK to be Acceleration compatible. It will delete the original SDK and create a new one.

George

Compiler problem

I am having exactly the same problem with Compile airport. I am getting exactly the same messages. I have tried to run sdk.msi but I get the message:
"MS FSX Acceleration SDK setup ended before copleting installation. System not modified. To install this program at a later time run Setup again".
I try this and get the same message.
I have run the Acceleration installation disc again and repaired the installation without success.
Any ideas please?
Please keep any replies simple if possible as I am a computer ignoramus.

Simmy

To fix my problem I went into the SDK section of the Acceleration disk (right-click and select Explore), opened the SDK file, ran SDK sp1a.msi and after that I ran the SDK.msi. Worked perfect for me.