Confused

Ok guys, I haven't been in scenery design for a while and just restarted. I downloaded the latest sdks from MS and just now your compile helper.
Now the questions:
  • What is the difference between BGLC, BGLC_9 and BGLComp? (The last is the one I have)
  • Which of them do we need and which not? (for FS2004 design)
  • Which of the ASM Files need to be tweaked? I guess it's the _0 right?
  • Which one need to be recompiled to receive what? A new .mdl?
Short answer in fine! Thanks. :scratchch

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

calypso said:
  • What is the difference between BGLC, BGLC_9 and BGLComp? (The last is the one I have)
BGLComp is a compiler that makes a BGL file out of a XML file. BGLC and BGLC_9 are compilers that make a BGL file out of ASM source code. This code can for example be generated by GMax. The difference between BGLC and BGLC_9 is that BGLC_9 includes some new commands that Fs2004 uses. BGLC is the latest version that MS released, but it is not able to compile source code made by the Fs2004 gamepack of GMax. Therefore this new version has been made.

calypso said:
  • Which of them do we need and which not? (for FS2004 design)
If you are working for Fs2004 only and using the Fs2004 gamepack of GMax, then BGLComp and BGLC_9 should be enough.

calypso said:
  • Which of the ASM Files need to be tweaked? I guess it's the _0 right?
Yes, almost all tweaks you want to make go in the _0.asm file. Something you will have to tweak the other asm file as well though.

calypso said:
  • Which one need to be recompiled to receive what? A new .mdl?
To get a new MDL file (or BGL file if you use the Fs2002 gamepack of GMax), you need to compile the main asm file, not the _0.asm file. CompileHelper will not compile the _0.asm file for you, it checks if you drop the correct asm file on it.

Even more confused.....

Hi Arno,
you said: BGLComp is a compiler that makes a BGL file out of a XML file.

How? I mean right now I make my gmax objects and export them as scenery objects (mdls) I put them in a library and place them with rw12. In the moment that works fine. This mdls are made with bglcomp or not?
If I want to make a bgl I need coordinates, but the exporter don't give me a change to add some coordinates.....that was with the old one before.

To get a new MDL file (or BGL file if you use the Fs2002 gamepack of GMax), you need to compile the main asm file, not the _0.asm file. CompileHelper will not compile the _0.asm file for you, it checks if you drop the correct asm file on it.
Compile now with what? I need an mdl that I can put in a library... I tried bglcomp but get an error message with your helper tool.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

calypso said:
How? I mean right now I make my gmax objects and export them as scenery objects (mdls) I put them in a library and place them with rw12. In the moment that works fine. This mdls are made with bglcomp or not?
If I want to make a bgl I need coordinates, but the exporter don't give me a change to add some coordinates.....that was with the old one before.
The MDL files GMax makes are created by MakeMDL. Internally MakeMDL contains a compiler like BGLC_9 to create the MDL file. BGLComp is the compiler that is used to compile a XML file (which can call the MDL files) into a BGL. A tool like Rwy12 or Library Creator XML calls BGLComp for you when you want to create the BGL file.

With the new Fs2004 way of scenery design, you can not add the coordinates in GMax already. This is done in the XML file, GMax also creates an example XML file when you export your object.

calypso said:
Compile now with what? I need an mdl that I can put in a library... I tried bglcomp but get an error message with your helper tool.
Which file are you trying to compile when you get that error? And what does the error say?

Well, I tried to change a bmp texture into an old r8 in the asm. Maybe thats the problem. I don't know the message right now, its on another computer. But I also do not have BGLC_9 in the moment, so what compiler should make the new, tweaked mdl from the asm file. Do you have a link for that BGLC_9 to download?
There should realy be a list of what tools and compilers you should use when and under what circumstances.....like:
1. Make your object in gmax
2. Export it using the makemdl (how to set the .cfg file, to get the .asm....)
2.1 Tweak the .0_asm when necessary using.....and compile the .asm after with....
3. Make a library using Libmaker
4. place the object rw12 and so on.......
How many tools do we actually use for scen design?

Which file are you trying to compile when you get that error? And what does the error say?
Well, I tried them all. Still need to know which compiler will make the mdl?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Take a look at the sticky thread in this forum, you can download BGLC_9 there.

I have been thinking about writing an article about the different file formats and how they all relate to each other. Hopefully I find some time to start writing soon :).