• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 confusion reigns

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,
Well I'm trying and failing miserably in converting an ai fs9 model for personal use in p3dv4.
I have read and reread a tutorial on the alpha india group on how to do this but I have reached a point quite early on that has me stumped.
it states this

Once you have the model imported into MCX it is time to start converting the animations.
Open the Animation Editor and you will see that there are a number of animations, hopefully most
will be identified but some may be “unknown”. Start by converting the standard animations.
c_tire, l_tire & r_tire convert to c_tire_blurred, l_tire_blurred, & r_tire_blurred respectively.
the gear animations will convert automatically.
engine0, engine1 etc convert to N1_0_still. Note that if you are converting a prop driven aircraft
this animation should be converted to prop0_still.
The animations that are identified depend totally on the model. Sometimes you will be lucky and
the animations for spoilers, thrust reversers, elevators etc. will be self evident and you just need to
find the FSX equivalent. Other times the modeller has written custom xml animations for various
features and so they will appear in MCX as “unknown”

now I suppose I'm lucky in that the model I am trying to convert does not have any unknown parts but where I'm having problems is where it says "start converting the standard animations"
It quotes "c tire,l tire convert to c tire blurred, l tire blurred " but does not say how you convert them.
also further on it mentions engine changes, is there a list somewhere that gives what the differences between fs9 and p3d/fsx
the aircraft that they show is not the one I wish to convert so its all quite confusing
any advice help would be appreciated
thanks

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
There is an animation editor in the menu bar that looks like an old movie clapper. Click it and it brings up the list of assigned animations. Select an unknown and use the frame slider to see which bit of the airplane model moves. You can now assign an FSX animation to that part. Be very careful though as mistakes can be very hard to correct.