• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Connecting ADE to FSX?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

Did you install the P3D SDK v1.4 as mentioned? Within the 1st and 2nd pictures, they appear to be the same and the latter 2 (Folder locations) aren't pointing to the P3D SDK v1.4 locations as I stated above. Again, have you installed the P3D SDK v1.4?

Disregard the SDK folder within the ../steamapps/common/FSX (your 3rd picture). You will not be using it since this SDK is incomplete.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

I take that to mean... Good news! and finally is compiling?

Country
us-northcarolina
Hello

I take that to mean... Good news! and finally is compiling?

Yes indeed it is!

Thanks again Doug, you've got me up and running with ADE. One last question though, make it two. They should be easy for you.
Back a few years ago when I was using ADE I had 3 project airports and when I opened an airport all three showed up in a window for me to select one. I never paid attention to where it had been saved. They just appeared.

Now, though, when I save the project I'm working on and then later try to open it to continue, I'm presented with my Documents folder that has a lot of stuff in it but no airports?

It's been so long and I don't remember specifying where to save it....it was just automatic.?

One other thing.....I just made a couple of changes, saved and compiled, opened the Sim and the changes weren't there?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Where did you compile it to? Is it a folder active in the Scenery Library, and inside the scenery sub-folder?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Do you mean the compile bgl file or saving the ADE project file?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Both Jon and Tom are asking the same question that I'm asking... Are you are referring to a "project" (.ad4) file or a compiled (.bgl) file.

1) All changes to an airport through ADE should be "save as" or "save" as a project file (.ad4) before you compile (.bgl) the changes that you have made. This is so you have a record of the changes that you have made and so that you can continue with your changes as you go (not having to start all over with the changes).

So, what file are you referring to, the compiled (.bgl) or your project (.ad4) file?

There were changes in the way ADE saves compiled and or project files (comparing v1.65 to v1.70). We now have the option on where they are to be placed.

2019-07-09 08_20_37-Greenshot.png

This screen is through the Settings -> Options -> Project.

Save Projects To: Should be outside the Program Files folder!! Always!
The Compile location should also be outside the Program Files folder (Always!). Until you are ready to test your compiled files (see Important).
Save Xml: Best to save with your Project file ( I think so).

Important: Once you are ready to test the compiled (.bgl) file (there will be 2 bgl files in most cases or possibly more), that will need to be copied to the appropriate folder (unfortunately, I do not have the specifics on the location of the folders - not for Steam that is). Hopefully, someone else will assist in that part.

Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
Hello

As you have stated and others... the SDK Steam is incomplete [not all the necessary files (applications) are there]. Unfortunately, you will not be able to take 1 file (shp2vec) from 1 SDK to be used with another. You will need to install a complete SDK to use with ADE or any other applications that requires it.

It would be best to install the P3D SDK v1.4 which is available here. Install it at its default location.

After you have installed it, load up ADE. Goto Settings (at the top of) -> Options -> Folders

1) Scenery cfg Folder
2) FS Main Folder - The location of the main FS folder
3) BglComp Folder - should be located here: ..\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK
4) Shp2Vec Folder - should be located here: ..\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK

Do not have it point anywhere within the Steam Version of the SDK. It is incomplete.

Hello Doug. Been away for a few days. Here are the paths....although you did not specify one for Scenery cfg Folder. Might that be a problem?

You wrote earlier that The Compile location should also be outside the Program Files folder (Always!).

I just noticed that's where the Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0 installer put it

Scenery cfg Folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE
(This path is in red? And the path ends with FSX , not SE)

FS Main Folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

BglComp Folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK

Shp2Vec Folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D SDK 1.4.4747.0\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello..

Everything you mentioned above is fine and complete. Do not worry about that.

You asked, "where is my project file that you had been working on?".

I was showing where you can find out based on the Settings -> Options -> Project menu.

Are you saving your project file before compiling it or not?

Country
us-northcarolina
Hello..

Everything you mentioned above is fine and complete. Do not worry about that.

You asked, "where is my project file that you had been working on?".

I was showing where you can find out based on the Settings -> Options -> Project menu.

Are you saving your project file before compiling it or not?

Oh yeah...have for years.

about the project file I had been working on.....that's been fixed. Now when I open an airport a window appears with the two .ad4 projects I've been playing with....not my Documents folder that had none.

And after saving I always click compile, in a few seconds a pop-up says "AirPort Compiled" But when I open the sim some of the changes are there some are not?

Taxipaths (vectors) and parking spots (objects) no. Buildings sometimes yes sometimes no. In one case I rotated a building 90 degrees only to find it rotated and melded with it's ghost. Another success was connecting ADE to FSX

I hate bothering you with this stuff. Maybe it's my computer? Anytime you've had enough it's okay

Have a great weekend.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

OK... so you have located the project (which would have the file extension of ".ad4") file. The menu that I mentioned before (Settings menu -> Options -> Project), the section that I have marked in red, what is your's showing?

Options.png

There should be at least 2 with the file extension of ".bgl".

Country
us-northcarolina
Hello...

OK... so you have located the project (which would have the file extension of ".ad4") file. The menu that I mentioned before (Settings menu -> Options -> Project), the section that I have marked in red, what is your's showing?

View attachment 50644

Mine shows the same thing except "FSX175\FS\Projects"

There should be at least 2 with the file extension of ".bgl".

Attachments

• Capture_bgl.JPG
    Capture_bgl.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 207
Country
us-northcarolina
Go to that location/ folder... is anything there... with the ".ad4" or ".bgl" as file extensions?

Two .ad4 for two airports. No .bgl. And when I open the airports with no extension (Type BGL File) I get the Capture4 screenshot
Capture3.JPG

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 116

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello :)

You do have ".bgl" files (look under "Type"). ".BGL" and ".bgl" are the same thing - You need to copy them in the appropriate folder for FSX-SE to load them. Hopefully, someone with FS Steam will tell you where they need to be placed.

Capture3_bgl.png

In the meantime, I will try to find out for you and follow up a little later.

Country
us-northcarolina
Hello Doug.....I think I have a mess! Maybe it's time to start from scratch? Looked for .bgl files where they are supposed to be. The two screen shots attached are interesting. The folders contain files from years ago when I started with ADE and I'm using the same two airports this time.

That in mind I did discover something that might be important? A clue maybe?

I made the mistake of entering a less than minimum value for a parking ramp tee. The compiler wouldn't accept it and came up with an error message showing the xml line. I went there and discovered the mistake. While there though I started at Line 1 of the xml and found dozens of exclude rectangles for "all objects" I haven't set any exclusion files since I worked on these airports a decade ago and the "Lists" button verifies "None Found" when I clicked on Exclusions??

Makes no sense unless they are residuals from way back when I started? Surely the stock airports wouldn't contain 40-50 exclusions?

Not asking you to figure it out. Just wondering if you think uninstalling ADE an starting over might help?

Before I do that I'm going to open a random stock airport try to put a building somewhere and see what happens.

Attachments

• Capture_terrain-sdk.JPG
    Capture_terrain-sdk.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Capture-BGLCompilerSDK.JPG
    Capture-BGLCompilerSDK.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

The folders (pictures) are fine.... nothing is wrong. The dates are when the files were either placed on your computer or created by Lockheed Martin. Do not do anything with them. There is also nothing wrong with ADE... and uninstalling/ reinstalling will not change anything... If I remember correctly ADE will always place exclude rectangles.

As I showed you in my last message to you, the bgl files are there of the airports you have been working on. Look at my previous message.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Those small exclusion rectangles are micro excludes set by ADE automatically to exclude stock objects. This allows the user to 'delete' these objects in the ADE display by selecting them and clicking Delete. They are hidden in the project file since messing with them can cause a lot of issues. As Doug says - leave them alone. They do not show up in the exclusion list since that shows only user created exclusion rectangles.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@StayinArrive

Those 2 bgl files that were marked in red above, need to be copied within FSX: SE (Steam) so that it can read/ update the airports.

You will need to create a folder named "Addon Scenery" at this location: ..\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX\Addon Scenery\

After you have done that create 2 more folders within the Addon Scenery folder (1 named "scenery" and the other named "texture")

For now, so that you can test them, place both of the ".bgl" files (that I marked in red above) in the "scenery" folder.

After you have done that you will need to make sure you add the Addon Scenery folder into the Scenery List. If you have any questions please ask before doing anything.