• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Connections

Country
wales
Hi all, well I'm getting along fine with ADE but please answer this for me.
What is the correct link to use to connect a hold short to a runway start?
And what is the correct link to use to connect a taxiway to a ga parking spot?

Regards
Richard

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
What is the correct link to use to connect a hold short to a runway start?

A regular taxi link

And what is the correct link to use to connect a taxiway to a ga parking spot?

A parking link. However with ADE you can pick ant link type as I recall because ADE will always draw a parking link type and correctly orient it for you. The parking spot must be the destination of the link but whichever way you draw it (starting on the parking spot or not) ADE will sort it out and make the parking spot the desination.

Country
wales
OK thanks Jon, here is another one.
Every time I make an amendment to my airport I have to copy and paste the new bgl to my scenry file in FSX and then re start FSX, this is very time consuming, is there a way to add a new/ammended bgl to FSX WITHOUT having to re start the sim?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK thanks Jon, here is another one.
Every time I make an amendment to my airport I have to copy and paste the new bgl to my scenry file in FSX and then re start FSX, this is very time consuming, is there a way to add a new/ammended bgl to FSX WITHOUT having to re start the sim?

Richard

you can tell ADE where you want the bgl file to be saved. When you compile it select the folder in FSX where you want the bgl file to reside. After that ADE will remember the location for you.

The only safe way to ensure that FSX picks up the changed bgl file is to restart the sim. If you were to saved the compiled file somewhere else and copy it over FSX might accept the new version but you wouls still have to change to another airport and then change back. The only safe way I know is to shut down FSX before compiling and then re-open it. You should see the dialog that FSX is creating the scenery database (or something like that). When this is shown you can be sure that FSX has picked up any changed bgl files

GHD

Country
england
Is there a way to add a new/ammended bgl to FSX WITHOUT having to re start the sim?
It is necessary only to open "Settings/Scenery Library" and click "OK" to have FSX rebuild the indices after adding a new bgl.

However, you may find that the file is locked by FSX and you won't be able to save your bgl directly to the scenery folder. I normally pause FSX, go to settings and uncheck the particular area before copying the file then go to settings and re-check the area.

George

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
However, you may find that the file is locked by FSX and you won't be able to save your bgl directly to the scenery folder.

To underline Georges' point - BglComp will not update a Bgl if FSX is currently displaying information from it. To make matters worse you get no message or warning that the file cannot be updated - one of the favorite gotchas around here......

Every time I make an amendment to my airport I have to copy and paste the new bgl to my scenry file in FSX and then re start FSX

This was a change in FSX when compiling with the bgl compiler. Sometimes you can copy a bgl into FSX when it is running and sometimes you can't. It is also part of the way the FSX platform is tailored to ownership and if FSX is part of the Program File folder structure or not.

Both Phil and Reggie have posted on this owership in the past on other forums where as programs like FSX set all the rights to the files as owned by the system. This causes FSX not to allow in some cases (based on setup) to copy out or copy in files that are in use when FSX is running.

However like Jon and George has pointed out there are work arounds for coping in bgl's

Last edited:
Country
wales
OK Thanks guys, I'll stick to the tried and trusted method of adding the bgl and restarting the sim.

Richard

Country
us-california
OK Thanks guys, I'll stick to the tried and trusted method of adding the bgl and restarting the sim.

Richard

I use a "ping-pong" method when creating and testing
my ADE created BGL's.
I have two folders named "Test_1" and "Test_2"
that I alternately enable\disable through the
FSX Scenery Library menu.
If "1" is enabled and I make a change, I copy the
new BGL to "2", disable "1", enable "2".

This cuts the load\reload time in half from the
method of using only 1 active folder.

The downside that I have seen is that each time
the Scenery Library is accessed from the menu bar
while FSX is "in free flight", the AI seem to get
duplicated when FSX reloads the scenery & AI.
A rather strange occurance, IMO, and probably something
that was never caught or seen by beta testers.

I fisrt noticed it when working on an airport and
adding parking specifically for the AI I had added.
I started seeing aircraft parked on top of one another.
Looking at the Traffic Toolbox Explorer, I noted that
the AI flight #'s, etc were duplicated or "triplicated".

Some time later I connected the "dots" and linked
this aberant behaviour to the scenery & AI
reload events.

Paul

GHD

Country
england
IThe downside that I have seen is that each time
the Scenery Library is accessed from the menu bar
while FSX is "in free flight", the AI seem to get
duplicated when FSX reloads the scenery & AI.
A rather strange occurance, IMO, and probably something
that was never caught or seen by beta testers.
All you need do is go to World/Time and Season and click on "OK"

George

I normally change the heading by 1 degree in the pulldown menu. This reloads FSX and gets rid of the AI duplicates.