• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Converting P3D 3D structures (bgl) to MSFS2020 using MCX - textures are a no-show

Country
ca-ontario
Hi everyone,

I am trying a direct conversion of a P3D object (bgl) into MSFS2020 using MCX. Everything went fine, except the textures are not showing up in MSFS2020. Here is what I did:
  • I converted a large object (a hangar) I designed for P3D into MSFS2020 project using MCX (latest version).
  • I simply used MCX "Import" option to load a P3D BGL file into MCX.
  • It loaded fine in MCX with all its textures, although I couldn't see bump mapping effect in the daytime, but I am guessing it is due to the lighting saturation in the renderer or something. (nighttime shows up ok).
  • I used "export scenery" option to export the scenery into MSFS Scenery Package.
  • I loaded the package in MSFS2020, built it, no errors, the only warnings were:

extension 'ASOBO_normal_map_convention' not found; assuming DirectX convention for textures

• It loads fine in MSFS2020 except, without textures. The whole building is black, as in, textured materials show up as flat black (you can still see the shadows on flat black material)
  • Checking the package folder, textures are there, converted from PNG to DDS.
Did I miss anything?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Misho,

Without seeing the actual object it is a bit hard to answer this. Few things to check:

• When you load the MSFS BGL or glTF file back into MCX, does it also look black?
  • Does the P3D object use vertex colors? If so, check if they are not black after converting.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
It loads fine in MSFS2020 except, without textures. The whole building is black, as in, textured materials show up as flat black (you can still see the shadows on flat black material)
In MSFS, if the sim cannot find the texture, it will appear as pink checkered... not black. As Arno wrote, this may be vertex coloring. You could zip the original object bgl and message it to Arno, or to me, and we could take a look if it's still a problem. Sometimes just looking at the glTF file with a text editor will reveal the problem

Country
ca-ontario
Hi Misho,

Without seeing the actual object it is a bit hard to answer this. Few things to check:

• When you load the MSFS BGL or glTF file back into MCX, does it also look black?
  • Does the P3D object use vertex colors? If so, check if they are not black after converting.
Hi Arno! Thanks for the quick reply!

To answer your questions,
  • When I load the glTF created by MCX, OR BGL created by MSFS, they both show up completely black in MCX, as inside the sim.
  • No - all my vertex colors in 3DS MAX model are RGB white, with white RGB illumination, and Alpha 100. that is, IF by vertex color you mean the actual color of vertex inside the 3DS MAX model, Editable Mesh Modifier, vertex level.
Although I don't quite know what it means for an object to "use" vertex colors. Vertices in the model always have a color property, and mine are all white. I don't think I've seen a setting on the MDL exporter that allows me to use vertex colors, unless it is "prelit vertices" in the "Enhanced parameters" panel of the 3DS FSX/P3D Material Editor, which in NOT checked.

Also, all my models are created by me, so I can change anything that needs to be changed on them. I can definitely PM the original MDL or BGL file with textures if needed.

Country
ca-ontario
In MSFS, if the sim cannot find the texture, it will appear as pink checkered... not black. As Arno wrote, this may be vertex coloring. You could zip the original object bgl and message it to Arno, or to me, and we could take a look if it's still a problem. Sometimes just looking at the glTF file with a text editor will reveal the problem
Thanks Dick! Let's see if Arno has any suggestions, but sure, I can definitely send the BGL to you or him.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I think if you can pm the glTF file or model will work best, then I can check why it's dark.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Misho,

I just had a look at the BGL file. The problem is that the albedo color of the two textured materials is black. FSX/P3D do ignore the albedo/diffuse color for textured parts, but MSFS does not. So you need to set the albedo color to white and then the models shows OK.

Country
ca-ontario
Hi Misho,

I just had a look at the BGL file. The problem is that the albedo color of the two textured materials is black. FSX/P3D do ignore the albedo/diffuse color for textured parts, but MSFS does not. So you need to set the albedo color to white and then the models shows OK.
Thanks Arno! Confirmed, that fixed it! Thank you very much.

The conversion is working but it is not completely 1:1, as in, the objects that looked perfect in P3D show various quirks in MSFS. For example, some polygons, depending on materials, become transparent, some show uneven lighting, and uneven shadowing. I am guessing this may be due to the way I designed it, or it is just how MSFS interprets it. Unless I am missing something?

I also don't see that my bump maps or my environment map materials don't show up... anything specific I need to do about these?

Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you convert the normal map from the P3D to the MSFS convention? These are not the same.

As for parts becoming transparent, MCX tries to convert the materials as good as possible, but if you have suggestions for better conversion that's always welcome.

Country
ca-ontario
Did you convert the normal map from the P3D to the MSFS convention? These are not the same.

As for parts becoming transparent, MCX tries to convert the materials as good as possible, but if you have suggestions for better conversion that's always welcome.
Aha - No I did not. I thought MCX would convert these as well. No problem, thanks!!

Sounds good, I just started playing with it so I will definitely let you know if I have any suggestions.

One thing that I just remembered - creating a MSFS2020 scenery project is really good - I love how it is ready to be compiled. The only thing that the MSFS "Build Project" complains about is the "creator/company name". No big deal, It just throws off a warning, but if there could be a field in MCX for a creator/company, and then that gets populated into the MSFS2020 project, that would be handy.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Aha - No I did not. I thought MCX would convert these as well. No problem, thanks!!
It can in the material editor, but it won't happen automatically on glTF export as MCX does not know if you did it manually already or not.
One thing that I just remembered - creating a MSFS2020 scenery project is really good - I love how it is ready to be compiled. The only thing that the MSFS "Build Project" complains about is the "creator/company name". No big deal, It just throws off a warning, but if there could be a field in MCX for a creator/company, and then that gets populated into the MSFS2020 project, that would be handy.
It's there, but you need to fill the data in the exporter settings first.