• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Cool little technique that I discovered for painting panel lines/rivets

Country
us-illinois
I'm not sure if anyone else here already practices this, but I stumbled across a way to automatically make panel lines and rivets look more realistic, and it literally takes less than 10 seconds in Photoshop. What I did was:

Created a mask for whatever layer the panel lines are on.
Went to Filter > Render > Clouds (with the foreground and background colors set to black and white.)

Boom! Your textures will automatically be more interesting. :cool:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Ozzy, can you post some before and after pictures? I'm always looking for new innovations in Photoshop and texturing.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
GIMP has a similar filter named "Plasma Cloud" or something. Good for adding residual dirt and cleaning fluid to glass after one has adjusted the colors a bit.

Country
us-illinois
GIMP has a similar filter named "Plasma Cloud" or something. Good for adding residual dirt and cleaning fluid to glass after one has adjusted the colors a bit.

I'll have to try that out. I can never get that rainbow effect on glass to look realistic...

Paul, I will post some before and after pictures when I get home later.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Here is a little something I made to get the rainbow effect on glass. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_seKRK-rv8cEdNRVpjbFBfUFk/view?usp=sharing This is a spectral comb converted into a fresnel ramp. It also works great for a pearlescent paint job.

Another nice little trick with glass is to simulate thickness by using two outward faces separated by the thickness of the glass, this represents the outer and inner surfaces that reflect light as with real glass. Since there is no way that the refraction index can be set in FS, AFAIK, the double layers will do this, somewhat, on a curved canopy with the falloff.

Experiment, Enjoy

Paul

Country
us-illinois
With Mask and Drop Shadow:

Screenshot 2015-10-22 13.25.26.png

Plain, boring lines:
Screenshot 2015-10-22 13.25.37.png