• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA copying an object of a gmax scene

Country
germany
Hi all,
one question: I have build an terminal in gmax. It contains several objects that should use the same texture map and texture as they are identical. Can I just clone one of those already mapped and textured objects and use them more times? Just want to make sure I do not mess anything up.
thanks

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Nope. I do it all the time. In fact, it makes sense to texture the object first, so you don't have to do it again on the cloned copy.

if you "instance" the object rather than "copy" it, future changes to one of them will appear in all of them.

Country
unitedstates
if you "instance" the object rather than "copy" it, future changes to one of them will appear in all of them.

I've always wondered what "instance" vs "copy" was all about, but was afraid to try it for fear it'd come back and bite me in the a$$ two days later! That's great to know, thanks Bob! :)

Jim

Country
netherlands
I've always wondered what "instance" vs "copy" was all about, but was afraid to try it for fear it'd come back and bite me in the a$$ two days later! That's great to know, thanks Bob! :)

Jim

As you may know by now you can have a copy, instance, or reference.
A copy has no link to the original, an instance has a 2 way link with the original and a reference has a 1 way link with the original.
2 way link: a change made on either the original or the instance shows on both the original and the instance.
1 way link: a change on the original shows on the reference, but a change made on the reference does not show on the original.

If you made an instance or a reference it is possible to break the link with the original by clicking on the "make unique" button which is located on the modifier panel. It's one of the buttons in a row just below the modifier selection box (you know, where you can select a bend modifier for instance).

Hope this helps.
Grt
Willem

Last edited: