• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CoVid19, how does it affect you or Sim community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
us-ohio
Something on this page is linked to get[dot]safelyonline[dot]net and that got blocked by MalwareBytes. It is marked as a PUP.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
there's nothing to say that those five people in the lower left corner of the pic aren't all the same family.
Well of course that is the case and it only reinforces the evidence of the breakdown in society. Apparently they are enduring the same thing in the UK and we'll see just how long they stay united over it and it goes like this.

For a long time, conservative politicians have been pushing for de globalization, into nationalism. This is not a trend or fashion, it is a groundswell that they are latching on to. Trump wants to defund NATO for the very simple reason that NATO is too expensive, impractical, whatever. The actual fact is the strength of "civilization" has reduced and societies are shrinking back into themselves.
Now, after a calamity, we see the trend increase. States, for lack of leadership from the federal government, take initiative. Amazingly to me, Gov Cuomo spoke on behalf of a tri state "commission," to fight the infection. This is like seceding from the Union. States may do as they please, until it comes to collaborating, collaboration is the job of the Federal Government. As it fails to maintain it's authority, expect more states to assert independent choices.

In my own life, I see news from around the world. I saw videos of organized, drive through testing in communities that did not have to quarantine for two weeks, or learn to live without toilet paper. I saw them weeks ago. I see Senator Rand Paul parading the hoax rhetoric, absently acquiring himself a test, continue to parade around Capitol Hill, be pronounced infected and remain in public. How did he get a test...?
The latest information is that I can get a test, if I manage to find one, get to it and hit that 24 hour window between severe symptoms and expiring from them. Quite clearly, we are on our own. NATO can't help me, Donald Trump can't help me. That's why he is dangling that $1200 stimulus check, to scream, "the Federal Government actually means something." It is very faint and tinny out here in Oregon.

Finally we have state governors, largely powerless to change a thing, in a kind of panic response, doing the only action they can, clamping down on freedom and they just don't get it.
So I go into Walmart yesterday, because despite it being the end of the world, oh and my dog is dying, I have to work tomorrow. Instead of sheltering at home and nurturing my dying dog, I have to load him into the truck and use a $40 awning from Walmart to protect my tools from the rain. The place is literally packed. Everywhere else I go in town is abandoned, or in Andromeda Strain mode and in Walmart, I have to push my way through the impulse buying section. I can literally feel the force field of my immune system reducing in power, every time I smell someone's breath. It's just like this
the dimwits shopping for toys, TVs (the life essentials sheeesh) lan cables etc are dragging them back together - stupid or what.
and suddenly I get it. This is a matter of life and death.

Consider this idea, I work at Taco Bell and I drive a 84 Saturn. I have no life, to speak of, except what I save up for. If I am unable to actualize on my dream, then I am already dead and you can shoot me, because this is what you've made me into.
My perspective is a little different, but similar. In the next few weeks, I have to make whatever money I can and use it to strengthen myself. After that, I'll have to transition into barter, or the next exchange system. Who knows, maybe Federal Reserve notes will remain the standard. I would love to preserve society, whatever, but I do not trust the Federal Government to have my back and if I do not keep moving, I am surely dead.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Here in the U.S. I strongly suspect that the real reason for the strictly controlled, limited testing for CoVid-19 is the same as the rationale expressed by our Fearless Leader with regards to allowing those folks trapped offshore on the cruise ship to be brought ashore...
"I don't want the numbers to change!"

This is sheer idiocy. The only way to obtain credible numbers to determine the actual Ro of CoVid-19 is to test as many people as possible to identify not just those who are symptomatic, but also those who are asymptomatic carriers of CoVid-19! Only then will it be possible to isolate/quarantine both groups from the remaining uninfected.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Testing has just ramped up a serious notch here (Northern Ireland). We have a population of 1.5 million, a test rate of 1,100 per day and going up. Do the maths... it won't be too long before we're all tested. My wife is a Senior Healthcare Assistant (think: nurse who does everything except distribute drugs) and it's starting to worry her because NHS staff are not being given early access testing. The result of that piece of idiocy is a reduction in care staff as self-isolation kicks in.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
This is a very 'charged' topic. A gentle reminder to all to keep the discussion apolitical if possible. It doesn't seem any of our members have the virus yet, which is a very good thing. Wash your hands, keep your distance, be patient, plan for the future, cheer up.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well, here in the US testing is still heavily restricted to those who are already showing symptoms, as Rick mentioned above! Too little, to late! Then there is the poor example of a senator, who somehow got tested just on his "suspicion" that he might have been infected, demonstrating that indeed some pigs are more equal that the rest (reference Animal Farm).

We have a disastrous shortage of protective gear, ventilators, etc. Where do you suppose was our major supplier of these critical items? Well that would be China of course, despite our current "Buy American" policies. Shoot, even the diabetic shoes the Veterans Administration provides to me each year, and my walker came from China!

On a brighter note, I am now well stocked with toilet paper, having ordered some from Amazon (May 1 expected delivery), and from some local sources (thanks to my handyman).

Nota Bene: I have redacted this post to make it as apolitical as possible while retaining the essence of my comments per Dick's request just above.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
We are getting to the point where telling about current events is becoming subversive, à la 1984. However, I think that would be more or less the same, regardless which flavor ruling class held the scepter. It is a consequence, the stifling of free speech, when the state does not have the resources to assert authority in more traditional ways, like by making it rain money - and that is probably the main reason for no tests, no $$$.

Here is a really good reason for all the hand waving, I think. If you consider that we thought we had a lot of resources before the Saudi/Russia price war, a 68% drop in the worlds economy, on top of, or despite the stock crash, has to have dried up some reserves.

What I think is significant and not entirely bad, is that so many of these events can be related to iconic works of fiction. The Stand, Animal Farm, Night of the Living Dead, it means that these are iconic times. The things we do in the next few days and years, will make a difference. I even see it in this town; well that guy is going to fall, those people will never weather the storm. New players will step in.
People will make RPG's about surviving the virus and strategy games of how to defeat it. People we know, will become famous TP pioneers, or medical discoverers, or whatever and be remembered like George Washington and Thomas Edison. I for one, was born ready for a time like this and it is an opportunity to thrive, for those that make it through.

If, for some reason I should not, it will have been one of my greatest pleasures to have shared my time here. Nowhere in my life, could I have hoped to find so varied and unique a collection of reasoned and discerning minds, with incredible perspectives to relate. I have learned so much here and also about developing. If I do not seem grateful for the company and tolerance you've extended me, know that I am.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Testing has just ramped up a serious notch here (Northern Ireland). We have a population of 1.5 million, a test rate of 1,100 per day and going up. Do the maths... it won't be too long before we're all tested. My wife is a Senior Healthcare Assistant (think: nurse who does everything except distribute drugs) and it's starting to worry her because NHS staff are not being given early access testing. The result of that piece of idiocy is a reduction in care staff as self-isolation kicks in.

First off "well done and thanks to your wife" . Like many in the trenches currently she is working under the most incredible pressure. Using her skills to help others survive or at least have some hope of survival.

I will add for everyone here. Consider the shop/store workers. They cant even ask for ppe as they dont come under the target key working banner for it (yet are still classed as key workers for the case of travelling to /from work) - These are just ordinary guys like us all who have to work, feed as many as they can and go home often exhausted from 12 hour shifts (most only salaried so no overtime). It now at times like this when we see and recognise who are important in the human chain. We are also seeing who are trying to profiteer. I hope these will remember that once this health issue is beaten (and Im sure it will be ) sometime in the future that good, honest citizens will remember their input and take the right measure to make sure they dont do things like this again.

My thoughts go to those in the USA's NewYork.

This guy has is being factual, open and honest but more than that he's he is being a realist.

Country
unitedkingdom
Talking about profiteering, a private clinic in London UK was charging £375 for a coronavirus test!!!

Country
argentina

Change only USA's military for China's military....COVID19 is a biological weapon out of control or deliberately liberated, first over his own people (without remorse to keep up appearances) and then over the occidental world. Any doubts. Keep safe friends!!!.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Closing this thread. My 'reminder' wasn't heeded. Please, no political commentary, or end-of-times scenarios. I realize this is emotional, and there is a need to vent. Lets try to find a less inflammatory means to discuss current events.

Status
Not open for further replies.