• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CoVid19, how does it affect you or Sim community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Well, I have been banished to the home office mode for the rest of the week by my boss and work has been awfully slow lately, which means work phone on, laptop to the left of me with the mail client open and otherwise make use of my mildly revigorated interest in X-Plane on my desktop PC.

Unless COVID-19 doesn't indirectly kill the electricity supply, I might just survive this. ;)

P.S: My local supermarket still has plenty of alcohol, for when things really start getting worse. All these toilet paper buying fools apparently don't know what's really important during times like these.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Like a lot of people on here, I recall the Hong Kong Flu epidemic of 1968. And, like him above, ^^ we're about to be banned to home.

Worse, my wife is a nurse and you really, really don't want to hear how 'well prepared' we are to cope with a pandemic. The entire Mater hospital in Belfast is being turned over as an isolation hospital.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Sorry to raise up this topic. It seems to be a sensitive one.
Just wanted to say to be careful with you health. Every pandemic will go away but it needs time. My job has problem too and I need to use my saving. Once it has gone, every thing will be OK.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Last night they were showing videos of grocery warehouses shuffling around giant pallets of toilet paper and Cheerio's, just like the mobiles my parents used to hang over my cradle. I left them running in a loop while I dozed.

This morning, I got an email from the local port authority, informing me they would be allowing cash customers to cross the interstate bridge for free, until summer, when they implement a new license plate recording system.

This goes back to Ronald and the NWO thing and without getting all conspiratorial; first, they leveraged me out of the local gossip scene and put me under Youtube/Google control with the old carrot and stick of money, by offering me a dollar per passage less to not talk to the toll lady, Now they tell me that since I've joined that club, cash customers pass for free! I immediately cancelled renewal, of course, but I think my civil rights are water under the bridge on this one.

And that's just the ice of the tip berg, pretty sure this marks the end of civilization.

EDIT:
I'd forgotten to mention the hoarders. Toilet paper and to a lesser extent paper towels, represent a valuable trade commodity. Hoarding them is not a survival instinct, it is a calculated attempt to increase one's leverage in a community that's been removed from civilization.

images

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I don't, and will never, understand the fetishization of toilet paper in western countries these days. If push comes to shove, you can still do it the japanese/french way. So why worry?

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It surprised me as well which two aisles were completely empty in the supermarket last weekend. It was toilet paper and the potato crisps. Those would not be the two things I would buy when I would be afraid of shortages.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
It's toilet paper and pasta here.

And, looking through my supermarket, apparently also bread, milk and flour.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I don't think you guys read much post apocalyptic science fiction. Consider, one guy has a stockpile of fuel. Many people raise more agriculture than they need. If a person has discretionary money that will soon be no more valuable than TP itself and they have secure, or defensible storage, TP and Pringles could become pretty valuable, to someone who has plenty of corn, or firewood.
In this scenario, they are not even hoarding, they are shrewdly interpreting events and converting legal tender, actually boosting the economy, into a more universal exchange medium.

bov0.jpg

This one is the best imo.

1b7ea0032b449821a306f085a1964b64--vw-camper-volkswagen-bus.jpg

Got to keep a small footprint.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
In this scenario, they are not even hoarding, they are shrewdly interpreting events and converting legal tender, actually boosting the economy, into a more universal exchange medium.

The boost is shortly lived though. It's not like we all of a sudden poop more or munch more chips. So whatever toilet paper was bought this week simply won't be bought next week :D

This is the one thing about this crisis that I found truly hilarious - the toilet paper shortage......

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You still don't get the mindset. There is no "next week." The reality that most people on here are unaware of, is that this actually happened in Puerto Rico. In the 21st century, in a US satellite state even, toilet paper became more valuable than money - and for more than just a few weeks.

You can just picture a frazzled Carmen Cruz snapping into the phone, "you want to help? Bring paper towels" and Trump making it a Kodak moment. It's like he'd done it to parody the request and how'd that work out, ultimately.

That hurricane actually washed many communities right back to the third world and they are still there today. You go to any one of those small islands and want to exchange goods and offer them money, which takes several days' travel to spend, or TP and chances are, they'll want something they can use. Civilization has left them behind.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
The difference to a national disaster is that the toilet paper is still being produced and so eventually this short burst of TP demand will be overcome again. There's no shortage of stuff, it's just a matter of distribution.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Talking to the guys in the local shop today - bread delivery at 06.00, shelves empty by 08.00.

Effin cretins.

Loo roll not a problem here - when I'm in the shop, if TP is on offer I buy a pack because full price it's damned expensive. The result of that is there's usually at least 2 x 16 roll packs in the utility room and there's only two of us.

Aaand - I was right. We've been banned from the office for the foreseeable future. I actually hate working from home.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You’re right there. Don’t feel much urge to, either.
Tom how fortuitous! I had been referring to not only the people who were posting on the topic, but also those that were looking for a random opportunity to snipe.
The difference to a national disaster is that the toilet paper is still being produced and so eventually this short burst of TP demand will be overcome again. There's no shortage of stuff, it's just a matter of distribution.
The difference is a matter of opinion. There is no guarantee everyone will stick to their jobs in a national disaster and there goes your distribution.

23595352-0-image-a-52_1579446946769.jpg

This area is remote enough that heavy weather can close the main access roads, so I've experienced how quickly the system can break down. I personally don't expect the TP traders to make a go of it this time around, but I get it, to the point that it is endearing and in case it comes to pass, I look toward a brighter future where I stand high enough in the social matrix that I can afford the luxury of TP.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
With a declared state of emergency, they can impose curfews. If those don't work, there's always martial law. That one, however, is probably a political career killer. I think most of us are accepting that things need to be shut down for a while, like it or not.
I had to go out this afternoon to buy some laminate flooring for a long delayed project, and while out checked at three store just see them pretty much emptied out. No toilet paper or paper towels to be found anywhere either. Good thing I had already bought a 36 roll pack of Charmin last week! :idea:

There is some noise being made that this area might initiate an 8pm curfew later this week.

I was reading a report of two fellows who drove all over their state and bought every bit of hand sanitizer they could. They have an entire storage facility full of the pallets and pallets of the stuff. They listed it on Amazon and EBay and within less than a day their accounts were cancelled and their ads removed. That's a sweet karmic outcome for a pair of greedy opportunists who sought to cash in on the crisis!

As for apocalyptic fiction, I've read John Ringo's wonderful Under a Graveyard Sky as well as the rest of the books in the series. "Ringo combines humor and horror in this strong series debut. the thinking reader's zombie novel... Ringo's offbeat but vivid cast of characters will attract readers who enjoy a chuckle as civilization collapses." -- Publisher's Weekly

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
There is some noise being made that this area might initiate an 8pm curfew later this week.
Because the worst zombie viruses only come out at night? Or because social distancing is so much harder in the dark.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I think the effect varies between countries. I wonder the people are too panic about the virus, hording stuff as if there will be no tomorrow.

Yes, it is deadly. The chance of death is around 2-3% if you are infected. Elderly with chronic disease has higher chance. Once you have problem with the breathing and you need ventilator, the chance of dead is near 98%. It does not mean that you are young will be alright. Dr. Li, a healthy 34 years old doctor, (who first warn about virus) already died from the Covid19 too.

It affect the lung directly. That is the way virus kill us. The inflammation is too much and the fluid fills up you lung. No oxygen can get through you blood, no oxygen to your cells.

Social distancing is the good way to do. Masking is the must because asymptomatic infected persons can spread virus. Wearing mask cannot prevent getting virus but can prevent spreading. In China, everyone wearing mask to limit the spread. In western world, who wears mask will be considered as a sick person. You can see now that the spread is much more in the western world compare to the total population of each country.

It is American thing or not?. They are too far ignorance. The virus is deadly. However, do not either too panic or too much ignore it. It is not just a new flu.

beachgoers.jpg

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Comparing Covid-19 to Flu is stupid, but it's just as stupid not to.
Covid-19: 200,000 cases, 8,000 deaths.
Flu cases in US last year .. 31 Million ... with "only" 30,000 deaths, which is 0.001%, not that that matters. Reporting percentages is absolutely pointless. If an epidemic causes 300 cases and all 300 die, then 100% sounds scary, but it's still only 300 deaths. So, to date, Covid-19 has caused far fewer deaths than the Flu ... and almost no one really takes precautions against catching the flu, do they.
So, yes, Covid-19 has a higher mortality rate than Flu, but you are far, far less likely to catch it.

Also, what's with all the toilet roll hoarding ?! Buy 2-3 handkerchiefs (or an old bed-sheet cut into squares), wash them as reqd. and you're done.

If you really think about it, Covid-19 is far more serious than people think .... after all, with all the stupid people hoarding supplies, they are more likely to self-isolate and survive, which means that, post-pandemic, the average IQ of the planet will actually decrease so, if self-isolating, I suggest you watch the movie Idiocracy to see how to deal with that ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.