• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CoVid19, how does it affect you or Sim community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
CoVid 19 had a hard hit in China. Now it resolved. But it is getting worst in the western world now. How does it affect your life and Flight Sim community? I think The life would be hard for at least 6 months from now. On the other hand, a lot of people prefer to stay in their house. For flight simmer you can enjoy the virtual world in computer without CoVid19.
Stay away from the crowd, wearing mask if you need to get in the bus or mass transportation. Always wash your hands and NO hand shaking as a greeting. Namaste (or Swasdee in Thailand) is the better way to greeting people. Even Price Charles do that. Hope all of you are fine and stay in good health.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Well...I guess life is just harder, out here in the Wild West. My most recent instructions were to not bother my doctor, unless I had bad symptoms, underlying health issues and also contact with a recent Asia traveler. Last weekend I had a fever of 102° (39 C), but that was only bad symptoms. I'm healthy as a horse and it is colds and flu season.
It is really strange to me, because I work in the trades and the economic slowdown of 2008 hit me really hard. I saw it coming, things got weird, then slow, then nothing. Now, the Dow has fallen more than Harvey Weinstein and I am working 7 days/week. Yes, I am gathering crumbs before the storm, but it is like the clouds are so dark and everybody is just acting normal, "can you tile my bathroom," "can you sheetrock my addition?" "Well sure," I say, "we're all going to be living in caves soon," I think.

I hope you realize I am making light of the situation. I think it's crazy, a country that just throws it's people out there, "deal with it." It's like, that's how Neil Armstrong got to the Moon, right? We just kept throwing rocket parts at him, until he made a pile of them and blasted off. It sounds crazy but apparently - obviously, that's how it works. The other side of it is that we don't eat bats, no matter how hungry we get.

That's pretty much how we will deal with this one, I wouldn't characterize it as solving the problem, though. Many virtual $$$ will vanish, many lives will be permanently marked by the event of the West's response to what happens when people eat bats, which is how the virus originated.
Now that the federal government has made it clear that they will not interfere in our own bootstrapping efforts, will not dampen our creativity, independent agencies and firms have started developing responses. University of Washington is working on a cure, some private labs have started tests.

In the stores, I notice some beans are going unstocked. I already have two Powerades stashed and need 12 more for my two week supply of electrolytes. I keep eyeing the full box of Nut and Seed Cliff Bars, but I'm afraid that if I buy it, I will start a panic, so I buy 9 at a time and try to not eat them all before I buy 9 more.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I think scientist does not know exactly how it happens. It seems to be not eating bat but the bat feces are found everywhere in Wuhan and those feces contain virus and spread by the wind. Since a lot of people got sick at the same time. If it happen by eating, it should not have spread so fast at first.
Hope you are well, Rick. People start to panic. Sometimes panic it better than staying calm like some big guy told you.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
I'll either get it or I won't.
If I get it, it will either kill me or it won't.
What's the point in worrying about it?

Also applies to flu. Go check the winter medical records - so far this year's flu strain has spread further and killed more people than covid-19. Is that in the gutter press? No. Will it appear in the gutter press? No. Everybody knows about flu - coronavirus has a nice scary name so it's ripe for exploitation. And it comes from China. Ooooo. China. Only bad things come from China.

Sorry guys - I am so heavily p!ssed off with the overhype you wouldn't believe it. I also really feel sorry for the 24 million Americans that the current administration has ripped the medical cover from. If there is any Western country that any dangerously infectious virus is going to hit critical mass, it's the USA. If you don't work, you don't get paid. If you don't get paid, you can't eat or pay the rent. If you can't pay the rent, you end up homeless. If you're down in the badly-paid jobs area, there's no way can you afford medical insurance. You get a suspected attack of covid-19: what are you going to do?

I was also horrified to find out that the taxpayer-funded, goverment-administered health systems in Europe are seen as Communist institutions by a large majority in the USA. I can't get my head round that at all.

Last edited:
Country
us-alabama
I have lived through two armed conflicts, Bird flu, Swine flu, H1N1, and a myriad of other viruses. I refuse to get excited about this one. The mass hysteria is created by the media. Turn off the television and you will be fine.

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Can't get to it, so I'll accept my information is currently out of date. Business Insider wants full cookie access to my PC, so it can go hang.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
L3BSc1v_J3xBlNfTHHJY4RpgzOYoSaZpIus0zal_j4kfxCOR8JsP3LuOAd3nlgaH8fM_4twR_Wn_gg=s1076-nd

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Sorry guys - I am so heavily p!ssed off with the overhype you wouldn't believe it.
The mass hysteria is created by the media. Turn off the television and you will be fine.
I suggest we deal with extreme situations with understanding. Like when someone says they are depressed, or scared. As Ed's message shows, the situation is dire. You can go ahead and believe the entirety of Italy is shut down because they are all ninnies, or whatever justification you make, but it is big and life had changed and people we know will actually die over it.
The perception of "overhype" is itself, a hype. The US is doing far less as a nation, compared to other nations and that reflects poorly. The fact that the image of previous political administrations handling this situation so differently, is so potent, is what gives rise to the notion of "hype" and thanks Trish Regan, for making the end times so colorful.

It is deplorable that the response to bad news would be to censor it. Turn off the television and you will be a vegetable. Get a lobotomy and you won't worry either. It's not Second Life, actually. It's the Real World and yes, it's scary sometimes. Step aside, or grab the thing by the horns and steer us out of this hurricane, quit waiting for bone spurs with the black windbreaker to do it for us.

Why do I picture Homer Simpson in the nuclear reactor control room eating a jelly donut? If you really want a fun rabbit hole, Google search these images.

EPjZNP_VUAABlTr

EPjZNP-UwAA5AWY

EPjZNQCU4AAexmN

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
It is deplorable that the response to bad news would be to censor it.
I completely agree. What lights my fire is the refusal of the gutter press to present facts without adding some unprovable spin that rapidly becomes 'fact'. Or when they only present one side of a story. Or when they cherry-pick the facts to make the 'other side' look bad. When I lived in the US some eighteen years ago, after as little as two weeks I refused to engage with any television news channels with the exception of the PBS and, when I could receive it, BBC America. I just couldn't get an unbiased opinion or just the facts on almost anything.

Now I come to think of it, I guess I had some really, really good school teachers who taught us to think, not to follow.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Perhaps if people take the preventative measures to heart ( no handshaking, frequent handwashing, staying home if your ill...), then the incidence of the flu will also get under control. The US government response to limit travel, screen incoming travelers, and give advice to the general public is a tactic to retard the spread of Covid-19 until a vaccine is available next year.

I live in San Diego County, CA now. There are grocery store shelves emptied of bottled water, canned food, paper products, cleansers and hand wipes. A bit of panic in the general public. One of my daughters is currently ill with a cold, and another is forced to teach her university courses online from home (and her boyfriend's job with ESPN may become limited due to the collapse of the sports venue industry).

5e6a7b2584159f1962421227

As of March 13, in South Korea, 510 recovered cases vs. 67 dead, out of 7979 confirmed cases.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1095848/south-korea-confirmed-and-suspected-coronavirus-cases/

Some more info (sorry about the cookies, but you can view the page without accepting them:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

I believe the danger to our members and their families is not great unless the infected people are over age 65. I and my wife are over 65. Characteristic symptoms are fever and productive cough (rather than a dry cough). Sneezing and head cold symptoms are not characteristic. Tom Hanks and his wife have it,

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Dick, at my age of 73, I cleanly fall into the 8% mortality bracket myself. Fortunately however aside from Type 2 diabetes, I am quite healthy and have the VA as my sole 'provider' for my health needs. I am also able to work from home for Milviz, so I rarely need to leave the house unless it's to do a bit of grocery shopping. I actually have enough food in my chest freezer, my kitchen's refrigerator, and my shelves to easily last six or more months should it prove necessary.

FkaUs.png

Country
us-ohio
Code:
VIRUS        YEAR IDENTIFIED    CASES    DEATHS    FATALITY RATE    NUMBER OF COUNTRIES
Ebola        1976            33,577    13,562    40.4%            9
Nipah        1998            513        398        77.6%            2
SARS        2002            8,096    774        9.6%            29
MERS        2012            2,494    858        34.4%            28
COVID-19    2020            127,820    4,171    3.6%            115
With a 3.6 percent mortality rate... that means up to 279 million deaths are possible (based on current world population estimates). Note how quickly and easily it has spread by comparison to the others.

Bill, diabetes is one of the conditions that is a 'flag' for mortality... I would suggest you be very, very careful.

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Bill, diabetes is one of the conditions that is a 'flag' for mortality... I would suggest you be very, very careful.
Thank you Ed. I am effectively "self-isolated" here in my home and have very little contact with other people. I am being extremely careful.

I had already made plans to volunteer again for the Dayton Hamvention in Xenia, OH this year, and made non-refundable reservations with a motel in Xenia, OH for four nights. Now I'm seriously considering not travelling to Xenia at all, and simply "eat" the ~$500 loss for the motel, even if they don't cancel the event entirely. With around 35,000 expected attendees, over half of whom are from all over the world historically (most of whom are from Europe!) I suspect that they will not be allowed to enter the U.S. anyway...

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
They'll be closing down bars and party venues here next week, which is making me slightly angry because it's robbing me of the weekly possibility to see people I like and to get a mental break from the routine at work. Also, it's rendering the employees at those places essentially unemployed which doesn't help matters at all.

These'll be dark times.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Noel Plum made a insightful, level-headed video on the topic. I'd like to recommend watching this:

Country
us-ohio
As the Hamvention is in May... I believe you have time to decide. I would wait and watch.

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
CoVid 19 had a hard hit in China. Now it resolved. But it is getting worst in the western world now. How does it affect your life and Flight Sim community?

Well my country decided recently to close all schools, universities & non-essential public service buildings, as well as nightclubs, and to restrict the amount of people in restaurants, bars, move theaters, shopping malls and the likes at least until Apr 9th; Also my flight school decided to voluntarily suspend all operations until March 31st so I am essentially stuck at home, which is a good thing, as I only go out to exercise or to visit my GF, and not really deal with people other than her and my family at home.
This will help me move along faster on my FS9 projects so that's the positive side of it I guess! :rotfl:

I'm only worried that the measures the government took aren't enough and should be way stricter and closer to those Italy has right now, as I see many Eastern European countries with far less cases than us being much more restrictive and closing borders, which we still have open (except to people from Italy, China & ROK essentially) and with no screening of incoming passengers (or an effective one at least) at airports :(. Cruise ship passengers have been prohibited from disembarking though but nothing has been done regarding air travel really...
With the example we have from Italy, and Spain's situation next door becoming shakier everyday regarding control of the spread, adding the fact that my country's NHS is showing signs of total unpreparedness for a larger scale crisis (as the one in Italy) I can't really understand why closing borders isn't on the table! I understand the impact a big almost full on halt would have on the economy, but I think stopping the virus now while we are in control is much better for both public health, and the economy in the long run, than ''watching as it plays out and react accordingly"; Macau, Singapore and now South Korea being good examples of how working preventively instead of reacting works great!
Also stupid people started hoarding stuff from supermarkets as soon as the WHO marked this as a pandemic last Thu, while that same day thousands of people flocked to the beach as tons of kids were already without school (some closed voluntarily due to confirmed Covid cases on a student or teacher before the country-wide shut down decision) and the weather was really beach inviting that day :rolleyes:

But anyways, stay safe out there people! And if you can, stay home and give that good old flight simulator more use! :)

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Don't be panic, just be careful with your life. Wash your hands often, don't touch on your face. Don't be in the crowd (night club, mass transit, resturant, etc.) I think we should be fine. On the other hand, do to think it just a flu. I can kill you by attacking at your alveoli in the lung directly. So, it is dangerous but the chance is low.
I think my project will be finish next week due to this virus outbreak... hahaha. It makes me stay at home longer.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
OMG, virus inspired cosplay, humans are so freaking creative! I'd build a mock up and line it with those black light LED's and wear it around town, just to reassure everyone I too was doing my part.

cosplay.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.