• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 crash

Country
us-ohio
And through those years... you've had software updates. That changes where things reside on the drive, and Windows stores every single update. All of them. I have no idea how much space you have on your C drive... where the files are physically located, etc. I do know everything I do see tells me you've run into memory issues.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I occasionally use a batch file to check the state of my Windows:
Code:
sfc /SCANNOW
pause
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
pause
And occasionally, it finds and repairs problems.

Country
unitedkingdom
No... you need more memory. No one likes hearing that, but simply going from 16 to 32 would increase your performance to pretty much eliminate swap file usage for most things. If you delete the swap file, you will probably get out of memory errors.

Because the swap file is being hit so hard, you may be running into bad sectors on your hard drive that wouldn't typically be an issue because it's typically unused. Just my thoughts
The swap file (page file) is being used while physical memory sits at some 4GB in the first image. I agree with you, it probably needs to go. That's why my first suggestion was to disable the page file outright. I use P3D with just 16gb of RAM and it runs fine. I've never had it begging for more memory, except for when its initially loading- and I run a lot of addons.

Country
unitedkingdom
found many errors and warnings. One was msi installer.... I almost did a p3d install but stopped just before I was going to. checked defrag- 0% all drives. Attachment of some events.
Need to know how to repair p3d instead of complete install.
If you could scroll away back to the date and time you had a bluescreen and read off the error*, that would be useful. I would be extremely surprised if this is a P3D issue as programs like it dont typically cause a bluescreen. However, they can stress the components enough to induce one.
*edit: In the administrative events section of event viewer

Country
us-ohio
At no point did I recommend nor suggest removal of the page file. In all 3 of my days of working with computers, I have never found a legitimate reason to eliminate a page file.

Country
unitedkingdom
At no point did I recommend nor suggest removal of the page file. In all 3 of my days of working with computers, I have never found a legitimate reason to eliminate a page file.
You did, actually:
If you delete the swap file, you will probably get out of memory errors.
A page file is what Windows uses to page and swap to a hard drive as an "extention" to your physical memory. It is also known as a swap file.

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
I said IF YOU DELETE you will probably get errors... as in... no, don't.. bad. You totally misread that.

Country
unitedkingdom
I said IF YOU DELETE you will probably get errors... as in... no, don't.. bad. You totally misread that.
Ah, my mistake, I thought you meant that he would stop gettings memory errors. Still, if done through Windows settings, it shouldn't cause OOM errors. His page file is quite small. Keep in mind, 16GB is the recommended spec systemwide for P3DV4. 4GB is the minimum spec. I've never had an OOM, my own 16GB non-paged system proves it.

Country
us-washington
I did figure out sf/scannow is i command prompt. and I ran it once I found out i did / instead of\ hahaha Anyway. It took about 45 miinutes, and did find tons of errors and fixed them. I will see if this helped later. Thanx to everyone for the ideas and RRuhmbaflappy.

Country
us-washington
I occasionally use a batch file to check the state of my Windows:
Code:
sfc /SCANNOW
pause
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
pause
And occasionally, it finds and repairs problems.
should i have done all the rest...............- type pause dismn/online etc?
I did just scannow and my machine sped up also reported it found and fixed errors.

Country
us-washington
Is this all on one line? with space iin between the commands along with the word pause? Never done this before.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Is this all on one line? with space iin between the commands along with the word pause? Never done this before.
Attached as zip. Double-click to run. You may need to unblock the app in it's Properties. But, as WarpD has explained, you may be simply running out of memory. If your rig is dusted out, memory chips seated, Windows repaired, memory checked for defects... then you most probably need more memory.

Attachments

• RepairWindows.cmd - Shortcut.lnk.zip
    968 bytes · Views: 29
Country
us-washington
UPDATE- Thanx to all and notably Ruhmbaflappy for all the help. dusted out - can't believe the shop didn't. Re-seated the video card. all worked great. Two days later mouse froze, restarted - took care of that. Started the zip rumba sent. couldn't see anything happening. did some more checking and did a chkdsk c: /f/r/x but I got the message could not because another app with busy with it...' do I want to do this after the other app is done and I restart? I answered YES. Ostensibly the zip Rumba sent was busy with it.
I waited for an hour or so just to be sure, restarted my machine and went upstairs to fiddle with TV. Much later came back and my machine is acting like it si new. I even flew a 300 nm flight in P3d 4.4 no hitch at all. HOT EFFIN' DAMN! Thanx for all the help. The shop was trying to suggest that I should buy a new computer at about $800 which would be ten times faster than wha I have ow. That maybe be true, but This old clunker is dong just fine.
Hope this continues for a good time. A six pack a pizza any size all the fixin's ya'll want and an all expense-paid trip to Tahiti for two for 6 weeks ....unchaperoned!

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Blue screen is typically a low level failure, such as a memory stick going bad, a flawed hardware driver, low level. Software running, like Prepar3D isn't typically capable of causing a blue screen crash. Your blue screen usually has a "reason" displayed when it's doing a reset... does yours?
Oddly, my PC started having odd crashes and apparent memory issues. 2 days ago it intermittently would not load Windows, As part of the trouble shooting, I ran a Windows memory test, and it failed. Long story short, I removed and re-seated only 16gb of my 32-bit memory. Still not solved. I re-installed Windows11 from the trouble shooting screen, keeping my documents... and that worked. PC booted to Windows quickly. Ran the memory test and all OK. Shut down, added back the other 16gb of memory to test them. Restarted the PC, and all was well. Re-tested the 32gb memory and it was OK.
My guess is either Windows11 was irreparably messed up, or re-seating the memory removed oxidation from one or more of the memory stick connections, resulting in a fix. The PC is 5 years old.
The Windows re-install was not as destructive as I thought it would be. I only needed to install a small handful of apps.